PDA

View Full Version : Moderator - My Thoughts

Eric Mayer
05-31-2006, 08:38 PM
Okay, for anyone that had participated in the "Moderator" thread, you know that I've asked to step-down as one of the moderators. As an owner of a few sites/forums and a moderator of some others, I have some suggestions for the forum participants and owner of Ghosttowns.com:

1) To the participants. The worst thing to do is to respond to spammers. If a post gets by the moderators, don't take it personally and get frustrated. When you respond to the spam thread, or create a new one to voice your frustration about the spam thread, you only clutter or "top" things that will eventually be taken care of. So, in a nutshell, IGNORE the SPAM.

2) To the owner. Go into your forum software and then manage members. Do a search for anyone with the email address that ends in .ru . Anyone with this email address, is 99% likely to be a spam bot. These bots signup for forums such as this and continuously post spam. BAN THEM, including their IP addresses.

3) To the owner. Setup a member classification called, "Banned". Give zero access to the forum for people you ban. Meaning, they cannot view the forum at all.

4) To the owner. When you, or your moderators delete spam, ban the spam poster. Mark them "Banned" (see #3), then do a search for their IP Address and ban anyone else who has the exact same IP addy. If you mistakingly delete someone, they can always email you and you can fix it.

5) To the participants. Don't jump on the owner of the forum. He does not want spam on his forum, but chances are this is not his full-time job. Give him a chance to get things changed around here. It isn't easy.

I hope this helps out a bit.

Eric A. Mayer :cool:

Dezdan
06-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Additionally, to the users, there is a little red triangle with an exclamation mark in it at the top right corner of every post. If you see spam, click that triangle to report that post to the admin/moderators. In the Message field, just write something as simple as 'spam' and send the report along!

coolguy0621
06-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Ok, that's really good advice Eric, thank you.

And Dezdan very good info. as well, I had no idea about that!!

And I stopped writing on the moderator post, and said a my little bit on Brian10x's, because I figured that ghosttowns.com understood what we had to say and was/is not doing anything about it. This is not bad per say, there is a million reasons for that, but just as Eric said it's not easy to change things. I have no idea how to run web sites but I do think this one is cool spam or not. I offered my help and so did quite a few. All I can do now is what I like to do online anyway; read about things that interest me and post what I think about them :eek:

GaryB
06-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Additionally, to the users, there is a little red triangle with an exclamation mark in it at the top right corner of every post. If you see spam, click that triangle to report that post to the admin/moderators. In the Message field, just write something as simple as 'spam' and send the report along!

I do that and for kicks give them a bad reputation point. IIRC you can search for folks with bad reputation points and make it easier to find the spammers :D

Andy- ever hear back anything on your offer to mod.?

I forgot, the easiest way to kill spam is to use a return email verification addy. That way they can join, but can't post until they verify their email. The humans will still get in, but it takes care of most of the bots. Then you just erase the spam members at your leisure.

bad bob
06-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Yes Thanks Eric & Dez.
I didn't know about the little red triangle either.

The things one learns at these sites, I swear.
bb.

brian10x
06-01-2006, 06:41 PM
I'm going to get drunk tonight and hit all them **** triangles:mad:

brian10x
06-01-2006, 06:44 PM
I'm going to get drunk tonight and hit all them **** triangles:mad:

I didn't say ****

I said ****.

The artistic essence is lost over forum censorship.

I think I know a way around it

-------------------------------
I'm going to get drunk tonight and hit all them damntriangles.

bad bob
06-01-2006, 08:42 PM
May I suggest 151 Rum? You'll most likely need about 35 shots or so, b4 you start to feel anything. But you have to do them all within.... oh....'bout an hour and a half.
bb.

coolguy0621
06-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Last I heard, they don't pay, and I replyed that I would still be happy to help. I also said that there was alot of good points on the first moderator post, and that alot of regulars here want to help.

I have not recived a reply in a while, so I figure there on their own program and don't want the help. I also agree with what I belive Eric M. posted about that if we get mad and push the subject it will create more off topic and obviously needless talk on the forum.

I don't know what is up and I'm thinking that I or we have voiced our piont and untill someone takes action, it's a dead subject.

Then again I am drunk so who knows

coolguy0621
06-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Funny Brian was just talking about being drunk; as I am