PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned railroad site

NWNative
06-04-2006, 05:20 PM
I found this site interesting. In some ways it dovetails with the GT stuff but it's just cool on it's own. The rumors section was paticularly intriguing. Now I want to go looking!
file:///Users/karenvegors/Desktop/www.brian894x4.com:AbandonedRRmainpage.html.webloc

GaryB
06-04-2006, 05:47 PM
your link is bad, looks like you copied from your favorites and posted it?

NWNative
06-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Sorry!
http://www.brian894x4.com/AbandonedRRmainpage.html

GaryB
06-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Man that's a pretty big site to look through :eek: Lots of cool info though, thanks for sharing ;)

Goat
06-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Excellent! Very informative site. Makes me want to check out some of those places, the only problem is, I've been doing the desert thing for so long, I really have no idea how to explore in a wooded area!:confused:

Goat

bad bob
06-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Easy, Goat
Ya jes jump up and down, then stand on yer head til all the sand is out. Then change from yer shorty pants to yer long 'uns.

BTW anyone been to Fly Geyser up in Nevada Black Rock desert? OMG, I have a picture of that formation, and must say it is bee-zar!
bb.

GaryB
06-08-2006, 05:40 PM
BTW anyone been to Fly Geyser up in Nevada Black Rock desert? OMG, I have a picture of that formation, and must say it is bee-zar!
bb.

Not been there, but I have seen numerous photos of geysers in the area and they are all quite interesting to say the least. I have a web link to all the thermal geysers in Nevada (we have the most, nanner nanner nanner) if you like BB. :)

bad bob
06-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Hey Gary thanks... would like to see the links u have.
bb.

GaryB
06-08-2006, 07:57 PM
http://www.hotspringsenthusiast.com/Nevada.asp

You can also look up ones in your state from there.

Some have been capped like Beowawe and used for thermal energy. I try to hit any in the area I'm in at that time for kicks. I'm working on building a website for off roading trails in Nevada and plan to load up the links page with the ones (of Nevada or pertaining too) I have collected from over the years. I'll let you know when it's live ;)

bad bob
06-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Thanks again Gary, looks like Nevada does have the monopoly on most thermals.

Here in Bakersfield, we have the best...ahhhh, the best....ahhh....Oil, Gas, and Tire Centers... no... no..I guess Texas is better. Hmmmm well we have the best....ahhhh.. ya know, come to think of it this place don't have Jack S#*t.

That does it! I'm movin' to either Weedpatch, (best weeds), or Buttonwillow (best location close to I-5).
bb.

NWNative
06-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Got a place up here called Tokeland. Don't know what they are best at but. . .

bad bob
06-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Wonder if anyone from Tokeland has ever been to Weedpatch......nah... probably not. Most likely went to Grass Valley instead.
bb.

GaryB
06-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Here in Bakersfield, we have the best...ahhhh, the best....ahhh....Oil, Gas, and Tire Centers... no... no..I guess Texas is better. Hmmmm well we have the best....ahhhh.. ya know, come to think of it this place don't have Jack S#*t.

That does it! I'm movin' to either Weedpatch, (best weeds), or Buttonwillow (best location close to I-5).
bb.

According to the spring site, you have a few close to you, something to check out.
And Bakersfield had the best 1/2 mile asphalt oval on the Left Coast till it closed down last year :mad: Have many a fond memory of that place though.

bad bob
06-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Ya Gary
Lotsa folk upset about loss of Mesa Marin Speedway. Get this. Mesa was there a long time before residential development, and there was of course nobody around fer several miles. Then as new neighbors got closer and closer, the complaints over noise grew until the Mesa owner finally gave in.
But jes learned recently (a few months ago) that Mesa owner will be building a new raceway in this area but far from the "madding crowd." That is until the developers catch up. By then, speculation is that raceways will not involve ground-based vehicles.....oooooeeeeeeoooooo!!!
The hot springs are located on the way to Lake Isabella about 42 miles NE of here.
Please let me know if you'll be in this area for future racing fun or whatever. Would enjoy meeting you & the 'ol chain. Dinner on me of course....the best McD has on their menu.....NOT! Actually there's quite a few good eateries here. Some even have tables & chairs.

bb.

Goat
06-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Hey BB, is the Rancho Bakersfield still standing? (Whew, what a flashback!) Man, does my family have a history with that place. My grandpa had to jump out the window (wearing only a towel), and run around and get a room key when he accidentally pulled the knob off the bathroom door and couldn't get out. About 30 years later, I dropped a guy off there (we were rebuilding a B of A) about nightfall when...POP!, POP!, POP!, a gunfight broke out!

Ahhh, good times, good times...

Goat

bad bob
06-09-2006, 05:51 PM
LOL Goat
No, the Rancho is long gone and now has a brand new Food4Less in it's place.
That's on the west side of Union Ave. You may recall an arch over the Ave. with BAKERSFIELD in huge letters. They were gonna demolish that along with the motel. But Country music legend Buck Owens (RIP) bought the sign, refurbished, (& shortened it a bit), and installed it over Sellect Ave, where his Crystal Palace is located, and can still be seen today. Buck passed away recently, but many folk come by to have their pics taken under the sign and at the C. Palace.
The original building on the east side of Union Ave, that the arch was connected to, is still there, as is the gunfire, knifings, and other miscellaneous crimes typical of a "booming" metropolis.
bb.

bad bob
06-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Wheeeeew...how in Hades did all this merge into Abandoned RR Sites?
bb

GaryB
06-09-2006, 07:18 PM
It's what you call a high jacking :D Besides it's the "other" category.

I doubt I'll be in Bakersfield again till the new track opens (tentatively next year) as my friend runs Nascar sanctioning races. But once that place is open, we should be going there often, hopefully. IIRC it will be between Button Willow and B-Field.

Oildale is a hoot, but not quite the 4 1/2 hour trip ;)

bad bob
06-09-2006, 09:38 PM
Fine, you ol' hijacker, an' I didn't really xpect you to hop in yer ground rocket, and highball it over here jes to have dinner at McD's.

Oildale is sorta like another level of being. Especially after dark. Also, there's an underpass on the west entrance, and I have personally xperienced dramatic weather changes jes going from Bfield to Oildale. Dark & raining on one side, sunny & bright on the other. This in the distance of apprx 100 yds.

Long time Bfield residents only go over to Oildale when necessary, then mostly during daytime hrs.
Hadn't heard where new track was to be located, but that area is mostly farmland. Good choice though, since doubtful many beasts will be whining about the noise. You are correct tho, not much over here worth 4.5 hr spin from Sin City. Or from anywhere else FTM.
bb.

Flatiron
06-10-2006, 03:47 AM
badbob,GaryB..........Nevada does have a bunch of hot springs, that's for sure.There are some pretty impressive thermals, and hot springs, in the Long Valley area of the Eastern Sierras in California. Casa Diablo near Mammoth Lakes generates power, or so Iv'e been told, and there are some really neat hot tubs in the valley.I think there's also another spot in No. Ca, near Mt. Lassen, or Shasta, that has some pretty neat thermals. Of course, none of these areas can match the sheer beauty of Bakersfield............:D

bad bob
06-10-2006, 09:11 AM
Let's see Flatiron,
"Sheer beauty".....tryin' to think if that could somehow ever apply to this Bakersfield...no...oh wait....no, that doesn't work.
Hmmmm Flat, where are ya? I might need to get a perspective from yer vantage....no that's not it.
Nope, Bfield is pretty much the arm pit of Central CA.
Tourists only stop here to eat.

It's kinda like the scene in movies where the xpress train blazes thru at 100+ MPH and the only thing left behind is a dust cloud and a now-torn bag full of trash.
bb.