PDA

View Full Version : Honoring The History of Mono Mills - June 24, 2006

Cecile
06-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Mono Basin Historical Society Presents:

Fourth Annual Ghosts of the Sagebrush Tour

Honoring The History of Mono Mills Saturday, June 24, 2006 10am-3pm at the Mono Mills Historic Site

BODIE RAILWAY & LUMBER COM.

Join us this day and learn the fascinating history behind Mono Mills and the Bodie Railway. Guest Speakers - Interpretive Walks - Live Demonstrations - Historic Photos & Maps

Suggested Donation $15.00 per person

Purchase your tickets early!

School House Museum 760-647-6461 or MBHS@qnet.com

Bodie 760-647-6445

Bridgeport Library

Mono Lake Committee Booksstore

Mono Lake Forests Service Visitor Center

Limited late arrival tickets will be available at Mono Mills

Meet at Mono Mills: Off Hwy 395; 9 miles on East Hwy 120

Co-sponsers: Friends of Bodie - Friends of Bodie Railway US Forest Service - Mono Lake Committee

Help us preserve our history! Support your local Historical Societies!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

For histories of Mono Mills go to the June 2006 issue of Explore Historic California http://www.explorehistoricalif.com

Flatiron
06-24-2006, 08:03 PM
I had a great time at Mono Mills today, and appreciate all the efforts of those who put the Ghosts of the Sagebrush presentation on. Great job Guys..........

Cecile
07-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Flatiron - did I see you there? Our group had a great time, too! I'll be posting pictures on my July website once I get a chance - we just got home Sunday. I learned how to be a lumberjack while I was there;)

Flatiron
07-05-2006, 05:51 PM
Cecile.......Yes, I was there and probably watched you take a slice off that log. Did you have Mark sign your log round for you? .............;)

Cecile
07-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Should have said hi! I would have enjoyed meeting you! No I didn't have anyone sign my slice of log - I should have. My friend Carmen had Auggie Hess sign hers, though. That was cool. I'm going to use mine as a picture frame for the pic of me and Marty sawing together.

We'll be posting pictures of the event and all the rest of the fun things my group did that week on my website as soon as my husband gets a chance. We just got back Sunday.

We're looking forward to The Friends of Bodie Aug. 12th for our next historical event.

Cecile
07-08-2006, 04:03 PM
Here's pics from Mono Mills & all the other places I went the first half of my 10 day adventure.

http://www.explorehistoricalif.com/volcano_photos06.html

Johnnie
07-12-2006, 07:33 AM
Here's pics from Mono Mills & all the other places I went the first half of my 10 day adventure.

Thanks! Cecile,for the breath of fresh air. In resonce to a few messages that we recieved lately we wanted to let everyone know that we are still around. Sheila and I have not check in lately only because we just got bored with some of the post's about unrelated ghost town subjects, so we took a break. We are sure that we are not the only ghosttowners that feel that way. We would love to see this web-site return to it's former self. ;)

Johnnie & Sheila

High Desert Drifter
07-12-2006, 08:19 PM

Cecile,

did you happen to see Norm Dechambeau when you were up last? I miss my old friend and am planning on a visit soon. A stop at the Mono Basin Historic Society is in order.

Cecile
07-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Yes, I saw Norm. In fact I spent a bit of time talking with him. He was also persuaded to tell a little bit of his own family history for the Mono Mills event.

bad bob
07-13-2006, 04:19 PM
In responce to a few messages that we recieved lately we wanted to let everyone know that we are still around. Sheila and I have not checked in lately only because we just got bored with some of the posts about unrelated ghost town subjects, so we took a break. We are sure that we are not the only ghosttowners that feel that way. We would love to see this website return to it's former self. ;)

Johnnie & Sheila

Johnnie (and Sheila)
Believe me, I know what ya mean. And, as repeat offender, I apologize to y'all and the other gt'ers that are bored with the "unrelated posts". If you remember the old board beginning 1998, flaming was very common back then, and as you know, this board was born as a result.

So far I'd have to say this board is oceans better than the old one, as far as courtesy, respect, etc.,
But here's part of the problem as I see it. There's no moderator to control spammers, and mostly youngsters lookin' for paranormal thrills. And some days very few folks if any, post legit gt related subjects or questions. So, speaking for myself, and since I have no life right now, I, and a few others report the spammers, and subsequently poke fun at the spook seekers. I do often forget what category I'm in, and post replies that should be in the "other" topics. I'm trying to concentrate on correcting this error however.

Ideally, as someone here said a while back, with a moderator, there would probably be no need for the "other" category.
I hope you and the others will stick around, and not be dissuaded by the unrelated posts.
Hopefully, y'all will just steer away from the "other" category, until a moderator can take this board back closer to it's main purpose.
bob.

High Desert Drifter
07-13-2006, 08:23 PM
Yes, I saw Norm. In fact I spent a bit of time talking with him. He was also persuaded to tell a little bit of his own family history for the Mono Mills event.

Cecile,

I hope if you visited his families historic ranch that you were wearing mosquito repellent! Last time I was there with him I drove home scratching my entire body and worrying about west nile..hehe

On another topic, I know you have close ties with Cerro Gordo and other historic societies, So I wanted to know if you have ever set up a fund raiser or cash donation program to benefit them. I want to set something up for Norm at the Mono Basin Historic Society. They are in serious need of a new computer system. I spent a lot of time with him last year, and they are so good at sharing history, photo's, and old documents, but lack the equipment in delivering this stuff to people like us. Could you shoot me a PM if you have any experience or knowlege that could help me get started?

Cecile
07-14-2006, 10:11 AM
No we didn't go to his family's ranch, but he told us stories about his youth there.

I'll pm you about the other questions.

Flatiron
07-17-2006, 05:16 AM
Johnnie........Glad to see your post, and the fact that you and Sheila are OK. Yes, I too don't post as much as I used to,also, but still watch from the sidelines, and participate now and then. I'm still looking for the latest "Wyatt" print. Take care.............:D

LauraA
07-20-2006, 10:12 AM
I would have to agree in part with what you're saying. Being a member of several forums, both paid and freebie, I can say for a fact that the same thing happens on all forums, regardless of what the topic is. I belong to The Arizona Virtual Jeep Club, this is a very active forum, mostly Jeep related topics, but there's still a place for "Other" discussions, everything from politics to someone's family hardships is discussed there along with some real lively, sometimes off-color humor (that's when the moderators step in to tone things down.) It's what serves to make us all a part of the online community and sometimes we don't like the neighbors who live in that community, no biggie. Yes, a comment or two when something humorous is said may stray from the topic, I don't see anything wrong with it. If it goes beyond a comment or two, then yes, it should be taken to an "other" thread. As far as judging someone else's humor, far be it for me to judge anyone. There's too little humor in the world and I wouldn't want to take part in squelching any of it. Just my not-so-humble opinion. Here's a link to the AZVJC Forum if you want to check it out.
Virtual Jeep Club - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/)

bad bob
07-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Yeah Johnnie, I have to agree. I've done my share of satire & ridicule of some of the off topic posts but have decided the best way to minimize that is to ignore it. A lot of this board is becoming something way off its origonal theme. Some users have stated that a moderator is required for focus. That would certainly do it, but since we don't seem to have that, I think moderation & restraint is needed .

There are plenty of places on the web to indulge your wierd tendencies if that's what you like to do. This aint one of em'

TW

Right on Tote. I hafta agree with ya. This board has degenerated into a ...well...a laughingstock. I've noted ALL the names of the riff raff, and will be dealing with them one at a time. When I'm finished with them, they'll wish they were "daid".
Now do I Google "weird tendencies", "moderation and restraint", "off-topic forums",
"spam elimination", paranormal redirecting, or all of the above?
bb.

brian10x
07-20-2006, 06:12 PM
The riff AND the raff, you'd think that would cover it, however, like charity, moderation & restraint begins at home.

TW

Sadly, I have to agree. I'm going to wrap my body in duct tape until I learn my lesson.
:mad: :mad: :confused:

Flatiron
07-31-2006, 07:28 PM
Brian.....Please spare your buddy "Sausage" from the duct tape , though..........Bump ddiddy Bump......