PDA

View Full Version : MT Hood OR

CRs
06-13-2006, 06:21 AM
dose aney one know if ther is much up around mount hood east ot west side i have log alot of miles up ther in thos wonderfull mind clearing drives i have taken maney of lately and it just seems ter should be some thing up there

bad bob
06-13-2006, 05:49 PM
Hiya Coors.

The following ghosts are located on the west side of Mt Hood between Jes North of Portland, and jes South of Salem.
Apiary, Aurora, Butteville, Champoeg, New Era, Scio, Shelburn, and Stayton. Other than Stayton, all are listed on the Oregon page at this web site. You can check their status, and maybe even find a few more within yer travelling limits.
Besides those listed. Oregon City is the western terminus of the Oregon Trail, and a little place called Zigzag on US 26, jes below Mt Hood I think bears some historical presence.

Several people drowned in the Columbia River after converting their conestoga wagons into rafts at The Dalles, and attempting to "sail" into Portland. A man named Barlow, built a road due south of The Dalles, then west around Mt Hood, and down into Oregon City. Anyway, I remember reading something about Zigzag a log time ago. Not sure about nearby Rhododendron, or Gov't Camp.
bb.

CRs
06-14-2006, 06:17 AM
Well I Have Been To All Mentioned Except Apiary

Looks Like I Need To Farter East

bad bob
06-14-2006, 10:58 AM
Depending on how long ago you went to those places, I'd be interested in hearing of their condition, remains, and whether worth a visit or not. Do you recall Stayton?

For No Central Oregon, there is Antelope, nearby Ashwood, Boyd, Friend, Ortley (SE of Mosier & up steep grade just over summit- may require 4wd), and Shaniko. Take bridge across Columbia from Rufus OR, then 1 mile east, to get to Maryhill, WA.

If you've already seen those, it looks like yer gonna have to travel to OR east side. Several good sites over there.
bb.

CRs
06-20-2006, 09:13 AM
stayton isent that great to close to the main town of stayton **** kids mess every thing up

oh and the MAY need4WD i drive this every day http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/6197/mvc013s4231479bm.jpg

bad bob
06-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the info
bb.