PDA

View Full Version : Ghost town vacation

MzOakley
06-19-2006, 04:13 PM
Hi, I'm new here and was wondering if anyone knows of a ghost town(preferrably in the west, Colorado, Montana, etc.) that has a ghost town where you can vacation at?
Kinda like a dude ranch but in ghost town form.
Wouldn't it be great if there was a place you rode to on horseback and spent your week or two weeks there living just like a regular western town. No running water or electricity, with a hotel, jail, saloon, livery stable, mercantile, etc.
Just wondering, if anyone's ever heard of a place like this.:)

bad bob
06-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Annie Oakley
Go to www.1880sranch.com (http://www.1880sranch.com)
and see if this place in Montana suits ya. It may be about as close as ya can get, without using a time machine.
bb.

GaryB
06-19-2006, 07:24 PM
Goldpoint,Nevada is a ghost town that you can stay at:
http://www.goldpointghosttown.com/index.htm

Also Belmont, Nevada:
http://www.belmontinn.com/

Flatiron
06-20-2006, 04:07 AM
Wow! At 2 grand a week, you better enjoy yourself! That's not 1880's pricing, that's for sure.I think I'd rather pitch the old wall tent and wood stove some where in the boonies and splurge on steaks and beer for a week. Of course, badbob and Teton Ken could go together and it would only be $1600 per person. I wonder if brian's blow-up doll would be considered a second person? I'll bet brian could rent out "Sausage" as a cow dog and get a few bucks off. Whatta ya think?......:eek: .........................

brian10x
06-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Wow! At 2 grand a week, you better enjoy yourself! That's not 1880's pricing, that's for sure.I think I'd rather pitch the old wall tent and wood stove some where in the boonies and splurge on steaks and beer for a week. Of course, badbob and Teton Ken could go together and it would only be $1600 per person. I wonder if brian's blow-up doll would be considered a second person? I'll bet brian could rent out "Sausage" as a cow dog and get a few bucks off. Whatta ya think?......:eek: .........................
No jokes about my Sausage. He's darn near the only friend I've got!:mad:

bad bob
06-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Wow! At 2 grand a week, you better enjoy yourself! That's not 1880's pricing, that's for sure.I think I'd rather pitch the old wall tent and wood stove some where in the boonies and splurge on steaks and beer for a week. Of course, badbob and Teton Ken could go together and it would only be $1600 per person. I wonder if brian's blow-up doll would be considered a second person? I'll bet brian could rent out "Sausage" as a cow dog and get a few bucks off. Whatta ya think?.

Rewind: Gary & Dezdan call me a hick, TW wants to call me Nancy, and Flat's got me "doublin" with Teton Ken....hmmm, OOOOOOOOkay.

Yes, rates ARE fairly high, until you put them in perspective. You can stay in an authentic 1880's town for week, unlimited riding, 3 meals a day, entertainment, etc., about $286 per day, or you can go to New York City or other big city, and spend that and more for a nice motel/hotel room and that's all, except for the smell. I guess it's just a matter of which "smell" you prefer. Smart folks will shop around, if too pricey and check out some of the other links posted above.
bb.

Flatiron
06-21-2006, 03:37 AM
brian............If that ain't one great lookin' little guy, I don't think I've ever seen one. His Clint Eastwood stare sent shivers down my spine! Hey! Ain't we your friends too? I tell people all the time that I have friends in Tucson, Bakerfield, S. Cal. Vegas, Niwot (Co,),SE Az., and even OK. I guess maybe I've been stretchin' things a little bit. And badbob.......I do prefer the smell of recycled alfalfa over some eau de toilet. I'm with ya.......

old judge
06-21-2006, 09:05 AM
For some reason that picture brings to mind the movie, "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof". I say that with an apology to all cat lovers. OJ

Cecile
06-21-2006, 09:49 AM
My friend Mike Patterson runs a bed and cook your own breakfast ghost town in the Inyos near Lone Pine California. For info check out www.cerrogordo.us

MzOakley
06-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Thank y'all for all the info. I'm not much on city life. I'm a southern born and bred country gal, so I'd much rather spend my $ on a western experience out in Montana or Nevada.
Thanks again!

MzOakley :)

bad bob
06-21-2006, 03:14 PM
I tell people all the time that I have friends in Tucson, Bakerfield, S. Cal. Vegas, Niwot (Co,),SE Az., and even OK. I guess maybe I've been stretchin' things a little bit. And badbob.......I do prefer the smell of recycled alfalfa over some eau de toilet. I'm with ya.......

If you're stretchin', I'm doing the same thing. That's why I don't quite get the recent pot shots.
I do poke fun at ghost hunters, and if folks wanna poke fun at me, It's OK, but when it comes from the "band of brothers" with serious overtones, IE no smiley icons, etc., I get a bit
heated. My text is intentionally fractured...yer for your, etc., I think Boz refered to it as Yosemite Sam. I ran an extra long Hispanic signoff the other day, and TW says "can't I just call you Nancy?"
Maybe Juan, or Diego, or one of the other names from the list, or bb, but I took Nancy as a mild insult, because of who it was from. Same with Gary & Dez. Who cares? Probably jes me. Folks are who they are.
Often, the real truth washes out.
bb.

GaryB
06-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Like I told Andy, sarcasm is my specialty. The day folks start taking me too serious, I'm moving to Canada. ;)

bad bob
06-21-2006, 05:39 PM
TW & GB
Thanks to y'all fer the clarification, not necessary, but still appreciated.

Now on to LECTURE 101:
The Beatles are one of my all time fav musical groups. I'm familiar with "Rocky Racoon", but do not remember the phrase re: Nancy. At 58 my memory is sometimes less than spectacular.
A more recent example of this gender-rapping is where the dad on Everybody Loves Raymond, calls his sons Nancy or Mary when pointing out their "feminine" qualities. This, of course, is the example I remember.

Many of us are "guilty", (for lack of a better word) of sarcasm. Indeed I've/we've SARKED a few ghost/scare hunters here as most of you know. But I think it's more the context, and tone, rather than just sarcasm in general. Like I would not call OJ an "oakie" because lots of folks consider it a derogatory name. He may have moved there 2 years ago from Vermont. Without thinking, a coupla months ago, I made a somewhat negative reference to lawyers. OJ picked it up immediately, and questioned me about it. Of course, I back-pedalled, because I did not care to offend Da Judge.

I probably wouldn't pack fer Canada right away. Crap, with my "alzheimers", I'm liable to offend everyone here with
one post. It might even be this one!
bb.

brian10x
06-21-2006, 07:00 PM
BB, Nancy was a responce to your long hispanic handle. I borrowed it from a beatles song "rocky racoon" There is a character in the song with several names concluding with "but everyone knew her as Nancy". Just a joke, not a good one I guess, but not an insuTW.
I got the joke. Some people call me the space cowboy. Some call me the gangster of love.

bad bob
06-21-2006, 07:13 PM
B10x
Which do you prefer?
bb.

GaryB
06-21-2006, 08:20 PM
koo koo ka choo

I don't get personally offended by internet message boards, since you can't see the person face to face to see if they are ******* in your cheerios or rubbin' you. **** I don't get offended by folks face to face.

I do rub some folks wrong, maybe I have a career in politics?

brian10x
06-22-2006, 04:15 AM
B10x
Which do you prefer?
bb.
Just call me the gangster of (self) love. baby.:mad:

LauraA
06-22-2006, 05:10 AM
OK...now all join hands for a stirring rendition of Kumbaya.

Mikejts
06-22-2006, 09:49 AM
Hi, I'm new here and was wondering if anyone knows of a ghost town(preferrably in the west, Colorado, Montana, etc.) that has a ghost town where you can vacation at?
Wouldn't it be great if there was a place you rode to on horseback and spent your week or two weeks there living just like a regular western town. No running water or electricity, with a hotel, jail, saloon, livery stable, mercantile, etc.

Sounds great to me except I would end up in the jail for 2 weeks. (and then lucky to get out) :D

bad bob
06-22-2006, 03:32 PM
[quote=LauraA]
OK...now all join hands for a stirring rendition of Kumbaya.

The joining of hands would of course have to be symbolic. And does Kumbaya have to be stirring? In fact, I vote to change the song to "Don't Worry, Be Happy", in a lively
Dominican style offering.

BTW, I just read where, one month prior to Lindbergh's solo flight in 1927, 2 Italians flew across the Atlantic on a trans-global attempt. They were in a seaplane, and happened to land in Roosevelt Lake.
Their plane was completely wrecked in a storm or something, and their hopes of a global flight gone with it.
bb.

LauraA
06-22-2006, 05:26 PM
I agree, "Don't Worry, Be Happy" would be much better (catchy beat and you can dance to it)

Don't worry, be happy!!
Lord help me, I've found a smiley web site and I can't stop!!!

I've heard that there's a seaplane at the bottom of Roosevelt Lake, maybe that's the story you read about. Locals here say the plane belonged to Mussolini who at that time was trying to compete worldwide to set speed records with his planes using Fiat engines. I've heard that the plane was too deep for recovery efforts.
The original town of Roosevelt is down there too...I guess a scuba diving ghost towner would be needed to see the remains.

Mikejts
06-22-2006, 05:45 PM
You guys have it all wrong it is a Russian Submarine that came up the colorado to the salt to roosevelt lake via the gulf of mexico. They were spying on us Americans and got trapped when we built the dam. :eek:

LauraA
06-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Darn...that's too bad, it would be easier to salvage a pizza than to try to reclaim borscht :D

GaryB
06-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Wiat, how long ago would this have been? Cause some fine aged Russian Vodka would be worth the hassle of recovery :D And we only need a reallllly long straw.

bad bob
06-22-2006, 06:58 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmm
Start off with cold beet soup with sour cream, (borscht), some caviar, some Zakuski, smoked Salmon, etc., glue a million straws together, and it's bon apetite!
Uhhhhh nah, I think I'll order the soggy pizza.
bb.

Johnnie
07-13-2006, 07:48 AM

Have you taking your vaction yet. If so tell us where you went and what you you thought of your experiences.

Johnnie & Sheila

old judge
07-13-2006, 12:49 PM
It was in l927. And BB, it's "okie", not "oakie", and I are proud to be one. It's kinda like bein' an "Arkie" with teeth. OJ

I agree, "Don't Worry, Be Happy" would be much better (catchy beat and you can dance to it)

Don't worry, be happy!!
Lord help me, I've found a smiley web site and I can't stop!!!

I've heard that there's a seaplane at the bottom of Roosevelt Lake, maybe that's the story you read about. Locals here say the plane belonged to Mussolini who at that time was trying to compete worldwide to set speed records with his planes using Fiat engines. I've heard that the plane was too deep for recovery efforts.
The original town of Roosevelt is down there too...I guess a scuba diving ghost towner would be needed to see the remains.

bad bob
07-13-2006, 01:32 PM
OJ With all due respect, the accepted spelling is "Okie" rather than "Oakie". Even Webster's dictionary has it the 1st way. No matter though. You say "tomato" I say "tomito". well you know what I mean.
BTW I was writing the text about sausage on that other thread, when I saw you edited sausage in. Now if that's not an omen, nothing is.
bb.

old judge
07-13-2006, 01:40 PM
BB, with all due respect, you're the one who earlier used "oakie" in your post of 3 weeks ago. Anyway, it's "okay" with me. OJ.....P.S. You're not foolin' anybody with that Webster's story.

GaryB
07-13-2006, 03:32 PM
I use my Websters to throw at folks.

My wife found a Websters dictionary from 1905. Back when it had state info, pretty neat stuff. IIRC Virginia City was the largest town in Nevada at the time.

And OJ, you're not alone, my Brother was born at FT. Sill in '60 ;)

bad bob
07-13-2006, 03:33 PM
BG yer absolutely right OJ, I had to go back and double check 'cos I don't usuali mak spelin mistrakes. My bad. (Brian just exploded).
PS: You WILL buy my Webster's story or I'll hafta get Matlock after ye. It's either him or Cordell Walker.
bb.