PDA

View Full Version : RE: ZZYXZ ghost town bogus

Darius
06-26-2006, 08:49 PM
Recently, my friend and I went to find a ghost town listed on ghosttowns.com. its name is "ZZYXZ" it was supposted to be located in El Paso county in Colorado near the small town of Ramah.

I have tried to follow the directions only to find out that the names of the streets do not exsist in the area there or/and are bogus.

The Ghost town needs to be removed unless someone can clarify the directions and location.

Darius

brian10x
06-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Recently, my friend and I went to find a ghost town listed on ghosttowns.com. its name is "ZZYXZ" it was supposted to be located in El Paso county in Colorado near the small town of Ramah.

I have tried to follow the directions only to find out that the names of the streets do not exsist in the area there or/and are bogus.

The Ghost town needs to be removed unless someone can clarify the directions and location.

Darius
Is there any chance (however remote) that you may have mis-interpreded the instructions?

Granted, I may not be the shapest knife in the drawer, but its taken me several tries to find my favorite ghost towns in the past. That one you are looking for looks like its worth several tries! I'm seething with jealousy!

Try again, and good luck!

ghost_town_huntress
06-28-2006, 11:22 AM
It's taken me quite a few tries to find certain ghost towns too, or maybe there just are not any remnants of it left, I've come across towns like that too.

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

old judge
06-28-2006, 11:51 AM
I may have just fallen off a turnip truck, but after a bit of scurryin' about, I smell a rat too. ZZYZX, California, yes. ZZYZX, Colorado, I think not. OJ

old judge
06-28-2006, 11:54 AM
And Pardon My Spelling. OJ

bad bob
06-28-2006, 02:24 PM
OJ...I corekted yer paper an didn't fine eny spelin' errors...

Darius & Brian1000x
I just got off the phone with a feller in Ramah, Colorado who runs Korinek Konstruction. He lives 1 mile south of Ramah, and has never heard of Zzyxz, Co., which is supposed to be 2 miles south of Ramah.
bb.

Darius
06-29-2006, 10:11 PM
bad bob,

Thanks for that. I live 1 mile east of Ramah myself. I just moved here and thought it was interesting that there was supposed to be a ghost town that close to me.

What really got me, is that after looking around from this place and several buildings found on arieal Photos. I also noticed that in the history of this supposed place they mined gold and copper.

Being a part time prospector, I realized in my look about that the terrian is not suitable for such mining. In other words Coal yes. mining gold and copper on the plains seems less plausible.

That and the fact there are no streets with names as those out this way, leaves me to the conclusion that this place is a hoax and should be removed from the site ASAP.

With gas prices, as high as they are, people don't need to be wasting thier gas and time coming out here looking for a place that only exists in the hoaxers mind.

Darius

bad bob
06-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Yer rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright of course. Now the search can shift to Bob G, where he can be drawn, quartered, and strung up like the varmint he is.

Or if yer liberal, ya can jes let him go. As Independent, I'm fer makin' an example outa him.
grrrrr.
bb.

brian10x
06-30-2006, 04:21 AM
Yer rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright of course. Now the search can shift to Bob G, where he can be drawn, quartered, and strung up like the varmint he is.

Or if yer liberal, ya can jes let him go. As Independent, I'm fer makin' an example outa him.
grrrrr.
bb.
My voter registration card reads independant as well. In cases like this, the conservative in me would tie him to a sauraro (spelling?) in the desert and let the critters eat him, while the liberal in me would feel bad about it. (For a few minutes, at least)
:mad: :mad: :mad:

bad bob
06-30-2006, 09:23 AM
That's a good idea Brian. If he tries to squirm away, the long needles will remind him where he is, before the vultures and other denizens feast on his sun-leathered remains.
bb.

SCTaco
06-30-2006, 02:40 PM
Here is a link you might want to check out. Apparently there is a Zzyzx, CO http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/co/zzyzx.html :)

bad bob
06-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Taco Loco
The link you posted is the main source of all the hoohaa in the first place. Check the rest of the thread. But thanks for the try anyway. You're on the right track, but ya gotta watch for derail hazards.
bb.

SCTaco
06-30-2006, 02:51 PM
10-4 ;) Sorry for the WOBW

GaryB
06-30-2006, 10:52 PM
SCTaco = South Carolina Tacoma?

BTW, I too looked through everything I have and nothing exists out there except for a few small inhabited towns according to the map makers. Even Zzyzx, Ca doesn't come up, I guess as it never really got going enough to be a "town"? But I do know that one is a real site/place ;)

My guess is either it's a hoax, or the guy has ADHD and that town is in the wrong state, county or planet.

SCTaco
07-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Hi GaryB. Close. Santa Cruz (CA) Taco(ma). I am also a 4x4 ghost towner. I am headed to Colorado next week for 14 days and will be doing many trails/towns in Ouray and Crested Butte area. I grew up in Colorado Springs, CO. I will ask my dad if he has ever herd of Zzyxz when I see him. He is something of a local and state historian.

Here are a few pic of a head frame in the Mojave Desert we visited a few weeks ago. There were many mines and ghost towns that scattered the area we were exploring. (sorry to post *****)
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i97/teammbho/Img2006-06-11_0007.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i97/teammbho/Img2006-06-11_0010.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i97/teammbho/Truck1tn.jpg

GaryB
07-01-2006, 11:43 PM
I guessed the Taco thing as we have a local chapter of TTORA and there's a few of you Taco guys in it.

Out of curiosity, where's the head frame at? We do some club runs out into the Preserve during the winter months, always looking for new runs to do. We're a historical site 4X club.

And whoring of ghost town info and pics are allowed, just don't ***** nudie pics and herbs as that's BB's side business and he gets all pissy if you step on his toes ;)

bad bob
07-02-2006, 12:35 AM
just don't ***** nudie pics and herbs as that's BB's side business and he gets all pissy if you step on his toes ;)

Hey uh Garance....would ye mind expandin' this section out a wee bit more?
bb.

GaryB
07-02-2006, 03:16 PM
We're on to you, we know you post as Feilu :p

bad bob
07-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Interesting reply.:D
How long were you out in the sun:cool: today :eek: without a hat:confused:?

bob.

GaryB
07-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Not long. Between the thunder clouds and the smoke from the wild fires, the sun wasn't out much today.

Mikejts
08-29-2006, 02:52 PM
Should remove the reference to Zzyzx Colorado. Then strangle the idiot that posted it.

GaryB
08-29-2006, 04:15 PM
Another town the same guy posted was up for discussion after this one. It too had directions that didn't make sense and was listed near another town, and the person asking about it said they (the town folk) had never heard of it. Seems somebody needs to have a talking to.

Fullback32
10-01-2006, 04:52 PM
My family tried to visit ZZYXZ yesteday only to find that the residents of Ramah and Calhan Colorado had never even heard of it. I even asked a local cop who said that he had lived there for 10 years, showed him the printed page from ghosttowns.com and had no recollection of a ghost town in the area. :mad: Thankfully I just live in Colorado Springs and I only drove about 49 miles to get there. The other thing that worked out was that the Paint Mines were close by (in Calhan) so the trip wasn't a total waste. The Paint Mines are well worth seeing. Other than just being a jerk, why would someone post a bogus ghosttown?

LauraA
10-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Ouch, too bad you had to drive 49 miles to get there but I'm glad it wasn't a total bust. Probably the idiot who submitted the ZZYXZ is getting his kicks thinking about people wandering around trying to find the site. Hopefully after reading this the administrator will remove the post from Ghosttowns.com web site. I hope while he's at it, he'll also remove the Camp Reno Arizona directions. Whoever posted them had either never visited or researched the site, the directions are wrong.

Mikejts
10-01-2006, 06:13 PM
[ Other than just being a jerk, why would someone post a bogus ghosttown?[/quote]

Should you be concerned about a location in Colorado again visit my site first then send me a note. Be glad to assist. The same guy that listed this one has several other Colorado posts that are bogus. I have identified them to the admin.

Flatiron
10-03-2006, 03:59 AM
Rocky.........I think this is the same ******* that submitted some erroneous info on a GT in Nevada, also. He must have a pretty boring. pitiful life, if he get's his kicks out pulling these stunts. ......:mad:

Ghosttowns.com
10-03-2006, 12:31 PM
I have identified them to the admin.

Mike -how did you contact us - we dont see anything - from time to time people say they have contacted us yet we dont have any contact so we are trying to figure out if there is a problem with something - email or whatever..

Mikejts
10-04-2006, 09:27 AM
Mike -how did you contact us - we dont see anything - from time to time people say they have contacted us yet we dont have any contact so we are trying to figure out if there is a problem with something - email or whatever..

I would have to go back and research. Mid August sometime. What made me notice was that the guy used one of my photos (Salt Shaker) from my web site and pasted it into your forum. I recognized the photos and commented on it in the forum. It was for a "new" :confused: ghost town he discovered in Colorado. (Boehmer) You can probably find that post in the forum as well. Guess in the future I will make sure I send a private note.

I don't mean to be critical but a suggestions might be to have someone familiar with the area check out positngs prior to them going on the site. I am reluctant to use much of what I see as it is outdated, inaccurate and in some cases stolen for other sites. I can't speak for the other states but for Colorado I know that to be true.

:D This site has been great for me to meet some new friends that share the same hobbies and to exchange information. It is just sad to see that people want to purposely mislead others by posting bogus information. I feel sorry for you trying to maintain the site and balance all the spammers, hackers and practical jokers. It must be a full time job. :)

Ghosttowns.com
10-04-2006, 04:04 PM
90% of all the comes in gets reveiewed and thrown out - most people that are submitting bogus towns and such dont take much time with it and dont submit pictures and all of that - its usually very obvious - every town is reviewed by hand but less review time goes into the ones that have pics and stuff as usually those are the ones that are real - so unfortunately someone has so much time on their hands they can take all that time to submit something bogus and for what purpose?

Mikejts
07-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Got a note today from someone asking me why I had not been to Boehmer Colorado. Supposedly the highest ghost town in Colorado. Since I do not have any record of a town named Boehmer I decided to research a little. I dug out numerous books I have and searched them all. Never found mention of the town. I did see that Max Boehmer was a distingushed mining enginner back in the 1870's up till the early 1900s. My curiousity was still in tact so I search the Colorado Historical society and then Denver Public Library. No such luck in finding the town. So I thought, well stupid go look at the link he sent. He sent me this link to your web site. http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/co/boehmer.html (http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/co/boehmer.html) Right away I realized someone had been take for a ride. The picture is one I took in Nevadaville back in January of 2005. In the interest of accuracy and so we do not mislead more people PLEASE consider taking down the reference to Boehmer. I had forgotten that I had requested this earlier. It is by the way a copyright infringement.

THANKS for your consideration.

JoeZona
07-04-2010, 01:54 PM
"copyright"
infringement?
doubt it.
First, you must prove intent, and damage to the commercial value of your work.

Mikejts
07-04-2010, 02:00 PM
I stand corrected. Copyright is correct. I edited my message. THANKS

By the way you have a great site.

JoeZona
07-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks, Mike. I wish I had time to work more on it.

I'm in Colorado on business for a while, and I consult your very nice site often...especially when planning a trip out.

BTW, I was up in Swandyke last weekend. What a shame - the cabin is shot to s * * *, and the garbage left behind is awful. I brought back a bag and a half, and there's still a lot more left. And the drive up beyond the cabin to the top of the pass was just plain awesome!

dwinslow
07-04-2010, 07:09 PM
BTW, I was up in Swandyke last weekend. What a shame - the cabin is shot to s * * *, and the garbage left behind is awful. I brought back a bag and a half, and there's still a lot more left. And the drive up beyond the cabin to the top of the pass was just plain awesome!

How does the place look as compared to the photos I posted a few weeks ago?

Mikejts
07-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Here are some photos I took in 2004. http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/Swandyke.htm

Swandyke is changed considerably.

Wild irishman is also changed but not as much - pictures from 2000 - http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/Wild%20irishman.htm

xtremeimage702
01-23-2011, 09:39 PM
zzyxz is a road that is in nevada , it is well know to be a site where UFO'S HAVE BEEN SEEN. its onthe way out of vegas after you pass prime, nv

bishop13
02-01-2011, 01:52 PM
zzyxz is a road that is in nevada , it is well know to be a site where UFO'S HAVE BEEN SEEN. its onthe way out of vegas after you pass prime, nv

Actually, Zzyzx is in California, just west of Baker (if coming from Vegas).

silverstate55
02-01-2011, 08:44 PM

Prime, NV? Eh? Oh, you mean PRIMM (aka Stateline)??? So that would actually be in California, where plenty of UDOs have been seen (Unidentifiable Driving Objects)???

ghostsofnorthdakota
07-16-2011, 12:12 PM
I don't mean to be critical but a suggestions might be to have someone familiar with the area check out positngs prior to them going on the site. I am reluctant to use much of what I see as it is outdated, inaccurate and in some cases stolen for other sites. I can't speak for the other states but for Colorado I know that to be true.

:D This site has been great for me to meet some new friends that share the same hobbies and to exchange information. It is just sad to see that people want to purposely mislead others by posting bogus information. I feel sorry for you trying to maintain the site and balance all the spammers, hackers and practical jokers. It must be a full time job. :)

We have experienced much of the same thing. And I also don't want to be critical, but we ended up starting our site because of the overwhelming inaccuracy of the towns listed for our home state of North Dakota. I don't know who submitted those towns, but they did it with very few facts (and fewer pictures) at their disposal.

On the preparation end of things, before we go ANYWHERE, we get on Google Earth and examine aerial photos closely for structures, roads, signs of habitation etc... If there's nothing there, it will be obvious with just a quick search. I don't go anywhere without a pretty good idea of what to expect.

http://ghostsofnorthdakota.com

Tsarevna
07-17-2011, 06:27 AM
I have to respectfully disagree about google earth.
It can be extremely difficult to find a ghost town via satellite images. I couldn't find an old lumber mill town online. I checked every type of map out there. I had to buy a book that pointed out the location. Imagine my surprise when I found concrete pillars almost two stories tall, standing upright like roman forum ruins at the site. There is a large pond with a concrete dam. There was a large boiler sitting in the pond, which looked like a log in the satellite image. Trees grew over the dam and mill site, so if you looked only from above, you'd never know.

Mikejts
07-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Oh the joys of finding those elusive Ghost towns. I agree that one source is never enough. Google maps , topo maps , old newspapers, old maps, old books, new books and the internet all aid in finding some of these locations. One of the best is to exchange information with like minded explorers. Some of my best leads for towns I have never seen come from friends I have met.

deathvalleyjim
08-31-2011, 04:07 PM
I have been to Zzyzx, it took my about 3 tries to finally find it. Once I did I felt stupid that I hadn't found it before.
Here is my trip report: http://deathvalleyjim.com/2011/03/05/zzyzx-ca-352011/

sbruce
10-14-2011, 11:41 PM
Yeah I live close to the Cal location but have not been out there yet. I believe the original thread referred to a ZZyzx in Colorado? It seems unlikely that there would be more than one Zzyzyx, but you never know. As for the condition of this site it's a little disappointing that the pages are not being updated or maintained.

DiddleySquat
10-24-2011, 05:10 PM
bad bob,

Thanks for that. I live 1 mile east of Ramah myself. I just moved here and thought it was interesting that there was supposed to be a ghost town that close to me.

What really got me, is that after looking around from this place and several buildings found on arieal Photos. I also noticed that in the history of this supposed place they mined gold and copper.

Being a part time prospector, I realized in my look about that the terrian is not suitable for such mining. In other words Coal yes. mining gold and copper on the plains seems less plausible.

That and the fact there are no streets with names as those out this way, leaves me to the conclusion that this place is a hoax and should be removed from the site ASAP.

With gas prices, as high as they are, people don't need to be wasting thier gas and time coming out here looking for a place that only exists in the hoaxers mind.

Darius

Hey, Darius!

How interesting to find that somebody lives near Ramah. I've wanted to go there to take pictures for a very long time. I'd be driving down from Denver and want to make sure it's worth the trip. I sure like it is, even it's not true anymore that there's untouched merchandise in a long-abandoned general store.

Someone else here write that Google Earth is not a good way to locate or verify ghost town locations. I agree. But sometimes Google maps have a street view option that lets you get a pretty good idea what a town looks like.

For instance, Ramah has some ruins at the corner of Pikes Peak Avenue and Rock Island. There are three or four old business establishments there, and possibly some old houses behind. Going around the bend to 1st Street and S. Commercial, you find some more on Commercial to the south (around the post office in every direction). If you go east on 2nd Street to Cedar and down to Main, that section has another cluster of old commercial buildings. I can't tell much about the houses. Most seem occupied.

But if I drove to Ramah, and stopped maybe at one other town during the day, do you think it would it be worth the trip?

:cool: