PDA

View Full Version : Road to Granite, Montana

Bison Dave
06-27-2006, 08:33 AM
My wife and I are going to Montana in a few days, mainly visiting ghost towns and historical sites, one of my favorites is Granite, Montana, does anyone know how the road is in to it? Thanks!

Bison Dave
07-18-2006, 03:28 PM
I'll answer my own question! The road into Granite was fine, a few ruts to avoid, that's about it, I was in a two wheel drive pickup. It has been two or three years since I was into Granite last, I was struck by how much the trees had grown. One of the spots I previously had taken pictures of the Miners Union Hall Building, the Hall is now barely visible between the trees. There is now a Granite Ghost Town Trail with markers, although some have already been vandalized. A Visitor Center (a sign board) gives some information about Granite's booming past. We had a wonderful visit, Granite is like an old friend, Although little is left compared to many of Montana's ghost towns it remains one of my favorites.

bad bob
07-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Bison D
I'll buy lunch @ Mickey D's on North Chester. No holding hands though, or long walks in the moonlight. (Not that there's anything wrong with that).
bb.

LauraA
07-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Bison Dave, If you took any pictures, please post them so we can vicariously enjoy your adventure. Sounds like a nice trip! :)

caver
08-05-2006, 05:31 PM
We were close to this spot where I took a picture. We may have came back in the truck but had stopped to look at something. There was a shed nearby and my Dad said,,,"There's a deer standing inside". Sure enough, there was. Hope to be back in that area in a couple weeks on vacation.
http://caver.smugmug.com/photos/7401815-S.jpg

NWNative
08-05-2006, 08:58 PM
A few years ago we were there. There was a brick/block building that was the mine headquarters or something with a safe vault in it. Is that stil there? At the time it was supposed to be locked but someone (not us!!) had broken the lock and the door was open. Not one to let an opportunity pass, we went on in! It was a great building.
The miners hall only had the front metal posts and arches at the time. One of the locals told us that until a few years ago the building was still standing - three floors the top one being a wood dance floor. According to her, a couple a yahoos went up, got drunk and torched the thing for fun. I'd like to get my hands on them!
I have pictues of the miners hall from much earlier and it wtill had the pool table in it!

patty pickett
11-23-2010, 01:23 PM
We were up that way this summer ..went to a bunch of ghost towns around there ..but missed Granite..we had our car on this trip & heard it was a rough road..so next year it will be on our list ! thanks for info & pics :)

yenkoo
11-28-2010, 07:18 PM
I love that area and will retire there one day as my wife's family has land between Phillipsburg and Anaconda. I strongly recommend a visit to the minning museum in Phillipsburg and purchasing the book Ghost town trails, A guide to the historic ghost towns of Granite County. This is the best book I have ever seen for Ghost towning in the Granite county area, We home base at the Phillipsburg Inn and use this book to visit the many old towns within 50 miles. It has detailed directions from Philipsburg to 13 towns and a history lesson of each. I look forward to this trip each year and learn somthing new each time.