PDA

View Full Version : Vinegaroons

Goat
07-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Distinguished fellow GT'ers! (ahem)...

What I want is some first hand info from someone who has been bitten by a vinegaroon. Not Grandma's cousin got bitten or any thing else. I need some reliable info.
Here are some observations of mine: I used to work graveyards (Don't fire up The Mystery Machine just yet, Shag and Scoob-I'm talking about the 10:00p.m.-7:00a.m. shift!) at a tire retreading plant. In the early A.M. hours, the vinegaroons were out in full force. They clung to the ceiling in the glue booth, they popped out from under machines, they were everywhere. And aggressive...if you flicked one off of a table, keep your eyes open, because they came right back for you. Even if you moved, they would change direction.
What I want to know is, what happens if you get bit? How painful is the bite, and do you really taste vinegar for 24 hours or so?

Thanks,
Goat

P.S.: Just trying to expand my ever-growing library of info that will only be used as conversation stoppers for dealing with people that I'm stuck with in social situations, but share NO common interests with. Roughly, 99.83% of the adult population...;)

brian10x
07-04-2006, 10:24 AM
Distinguished fellow GT'ers! (ahem)...

What I want is some first hand info from someone who has been bitten by a vinegaroon. Not Grandma's cousin got bitten or any thing else. I need some reliable info.
Here are some observations of mine: I used to work graveyards (Don't fire up The Mystery Machine just yet, Shag and Scoob-I'm talking about the 10:00p.m.-7:00a.m. shift!) at a tire retreading plant. In the early A.M. hours, the vinegaroons were out in full force. They clung to the ceiling in the glue booth, they popped out from under machines, they were everywhere. And aggressive...if you flicked one off of a table, keep your eyes open, because they came right back for you. Even if you moved, they would change direction.
What I want to know is, what happens if you get bit? How painful is the bite, and do you really taste vinegar for 24 hours or so?

Thanks,
Goat

P.S.: Just trying to expand my ever-growing library of info that will only be used as conversation stoppers for dealing with people that I'm stuck with in social situations, but share NO common interests with. Roughly, 99.83% of the adult population...;)

Ahhh, Goggle is such a fast and reliable search engine. It took .16 seconds to find this:

Considered non-poisonous but they can pinch; capable of spraying a mist from scent glands at the base of the tail when disturbed. The mist produced by our species contains 85% concentrated acetic acid or vinegar, hence the name "vinegaroon

And this:

The vinegaroon, also called the whip-tail scorpion, is fairly common throughout the range. When mollested, they expel a spray of acetic acid which smells like vinegar, thus their name. They are not venomous and can be picked up. The females usually have wider bodies and smaller pincers than the males.
In captivity they requre some moisture. They are fairly easy to keep and will feed on small insects

And this:

The Vinegaroon (vin-uh-guh-roon) is a primitive arthropod, related to spiders. It's also known as a Whip Scorpion, primarily because it resembles a scorpion and has a whip-like tail (big surprise). Unlike a real scorpion it can't sting you and it's not venomous. What it CAN do is spray you with acetic acid. Acetic acid is the stuff that makes vinegar smell like, well, vinegar. Hence the name VINEGARoon. The only way one of these things can do any damage is by pinching you with its claws or by spraying its own gourmet brand of vinegar in your eyes. Should you be deranged enough to get your face anywhere near one of these beasties, and it manages to irrigate your eyeballs, you should immediately flush them with water and see your physician. Unless you're allergic to vinegar, you should be just fine. In fact these guys actually make good pets. But they do look scary as **** and they're BIG. A large adult can exceed 6 inches in length. Not the sort of thing you want to suddenly encounter in the middle of the night, even if it is harmless (more on that later).

And finally:

The Vinegaroon Murders (The Dos Cruces Trilogy Ser.) (Hardcover)
by James A. Mangum (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author-exact=James%20A.%20Mangum&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank/002-5558226-2123232)
td.productLabel { font-weight: bold; text-align: right; white-space: nowrap; vertical-align: top; padding-right: 5px; padding-left: 0px; } table.product { border: 0px; padding: 0px; border-collapse: collapse; }List Price:$19.95 Price:$12.97 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/misc/super-saver-shipping-pop-up.html/ref=mk_gship_dp/002-5558226-2123232) You Save:$6.98 (35%)

Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

7 used & new (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0971766770/ref=dp_olp_2/002-5558226-2123232?ie=UTF8) available from $12.97

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Goat
07-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Yep, I know about all of that stuff, I just wanted to hear from someone who has ACTUALLY been nabbed by one. Is it like a wasp sting, or what?
There is a lot of contradictory info about it on the net, so I thought I'd find out first hand.

Goat

LauraA
07-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Dear Distinguished (chuckle) GT'er ;)
It sounds like it's fairly harmless, the mist it expels is used to warn away predators. The Vinegarroon is non venomous and is not a true scorpion. although is sure does look like it. I couldn't find info that it even bites.

Just another of our friendly desert inhabitants.

coolguy0621
07-06-2006, 06:44 AM
My god I've never heard of these little demon spawn!!!!! I would be $hitting bricks:eek:

Goat
07-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Yeah Andy, they're pretty scary looking! I'm not afraid of bugs (those flying waterbugs creep me out though), but I do sleep in a truck tent, in case of night time scorps. I've had the vinegaroons on me before- when I had longer hair I was sitting on the couch and felt wiggling on my chest-sure enough, one was tangled up in my hair. I nabbed him with a paper towel and drowned him in a cup to get a good look at him, that's when this obsession started, I guess!
I still haven't found any first hand info from anyone that has been skewered by one yet, though. A client of someone that I work with has been bitten (or pinched, poked, or otherwise attacked) by one. The problem is, the victim is mentally challenged. He said that he tasted vinegar, but he's probably not the best case study, either.
Sooo, the search continues! Maybe, I'll call Geraldo...:rolleyes:

Goat

NWNative
07-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Dang I am glad I live up here in the NW! We don't have biting stinging nasty looking beasties like those! We pretty much don't have anything that'll kill 'ya. Hornets, wasps, little spiders but nothin' creepy like that thing!

coolguy0621
07-07-2006, 11:00 AM
Yeah but I think I'd rather deal with the *** lizard than the demon spawn Vinegaroons.

So they travel in large packs or heards??

And where exactly are they native to??

I have really never heard of these things untill this thread, I'm glad I heard about them here before finding them on a solo mission, thinking aliens have invaded, my days were numbered and trying to fight my way out............................................... ........that would look funny from a distance tho:D tent rolling all over the place:eek: holes blasting every where:( and me running around nekkid:mad: Screaming

old judge
07-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Southern and southwestern United States according to my Black's Law Dictionary. I never saw one sober either my friend. OJ

coolguy0621
07-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Funny, I've been all over the southwest, and never so much as heard of these, I really am glad I heard about it here first, sober or not, these things creep me out big time!!!!:eek:

The Black's Law Dictionary is about legal matters no??

Goat
07-07-2006, 03:45 PM
This is what I've observed about them, and some perceptions that I have (symbolized by the word "seem"):

All of the ones that I have seen have been a "hay" color. They seem to range in size from about a quarter on the small side, to a palm filling size (but hey, I'm 5-7, 125lbs, so that's not a HUGE palm). They seem to prefer darker places. They seem to be a bit curious, but also can get aggressive at the drop of a hat. These suckers are FAST! Not quiet fast like a mouse, or spaz fast like a roach, but the old "I'm crossing this 12 feet of open hallway with a purpose, so get outta my way" brazen type of speed.

The bite/pinch/sting with vinegar aftertaste thing, I only know as anecdotal/old wives tales stuff. And that's what I'm trying to find out about. Most of the pictures on the net seem to be much darker than the ones that I've seen.

Oh yeah Andy, I like to think about it this way, they are just like rattlesnakes out in the bush; For every ONE that you see, a HUNDRED have seen you!

Pleasant Dreams :D ,

GOAT

Dirk
07-07-2006, 05:28 PM
This one (in photo) looks pretty small compared to the only one I've seen. The one I disposed of was 6 to 7 inches long.

bad bob
07-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Hmmm Vinegaroons.

Let me see. Dragoons, Macaroons, Dubloons, Baboons, two moons, Saskatoon, Rangoon, Altuna, Charlie Tuna, Mafia goon, blue lagoon, Looney birds, Looney Tunes, over-the-shoulder-boulder-holder. Nope, never heard of 'em or seen one. And since I'm not missing them, go ahead and keep 'em.
bb.

GaryB
07-10-2006, 09:33 PM
From what I have been told they pinch (bite) like a tarantula does. My friend woke up with one and it got him. He said it was less painful than an ant bite and he never tasted the vinegar. I think that's just an old wives tale myself. I have splattered a few myself, sometimes you have to really grind them good with your boot heel or you'll just **** them off.

We did run into a 5" scorpion in my cousins house this past weekend. He didn't want to hang out for me to take pics off so I covered him with a can. Should make a nice specimen for those paper weights they sell in those cheap gift shops when he croaks.

Goat
07-11-2006, 03:42 AM
Thanks Gary!

Goat

NWNative
07-11-2006, 07:43 AM
What are you doing with him until he croaks?

GaryB
07-11-2006, 03:27 PM
He's dying under the can as far as I know. Unless someone let him out (people are working on the house). I have to call my cousin to remind him as he'll be up there this weekend, wouldn't want him to find it by accident :eek:

His house is outside Caliente, NV in the hills. Lots of unwelcome guests out there.

Goat
07-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Man, outside of Caliente is MY idea of heaven! Every time I go there, I lament the short amount of time that I have to explore the area.

Goat

GaryB
07-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Well my cousin in law (is that even a stature?) let him go and he (Mr. Scorpion) was ****** off big time and went after my cousin so he splattered him. They wanted to know why I didn't kill him and I told them I was running late, didn't have shoes on and I really would have returned him to the wild if I had the time. oh well :rolleyes:

LauraA
07-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Hope your cousin-in-law isn't haunted by the ghost of the vinegaroon .... or worse, his buddies might come to seek revenge :eek:

coolguy0621
07-18-2006, 07:24 AM
I still hate these things!!!!:eek:

LauraA
07-23-2006, 07:06 PM
I had to resurrect this post to put all the creepy crawlies in the same category.
Look what showed up on my lawn chair, glad I looked before I sat. :eek:

brian10x
07-23-2006, 08:24 PM
I had to resurrect this post to put all the creepy crawlies in the same category.

Jimminy crickets Laura! That buggers bigger than my Sausage! I think I'd grab my trusty 12 gauge and start blastin' if I saw that guy.

Makes me wonder...

In the 6 years I've lived in Arizona, I've rarely seen a snake (just little guys), never a huge man eating spider like yours, and never a scorpion. I've never encountered a dangerous critter while out on the trails. This , of course, begs the REAL question: How many critters did I miss that were watching ME?

Kinda creepy just thinking about it. All poop jokes aside, I've sometimes had to relieve myself on the trail, and have sat on the ground eating lunch more than once. I wonder If I ever came close to getting bit..or worse?

:mad: :mad: :confused:

GaryB
07-23-2006, 09:09 PM

Those are great when you roll them in Shake 'n Bake and top with a little ranch dip! Of course you have to do it while they are still alive or you lose the juices.

LauraA
07-24-2006, 01:54 AM
When we shooed it off the chair, it took off at its leisure, but the scary part is, as big as that thing is, it went into a really tiny opening in our tool shed. If it can get into an opening that small, I'm sure it could find a way into the house....if it wanted to. We've had plenty of those small, dirt colored scorpions in the house (I never go barefoot anymore) and several snakes sunning themselves on our brick walkway, nothing dangerous, just Whip snakes and King snakes. Probably because of our location, our place backs up to a ranch with a dry wash right behind the house.
Brian, the odds are against you, you're bound to run into a dangerous critter eventually...probably when you find the Black Diamond, the entrance will be guarded by the grand daddy of all rattlers. :eek:
Speaking of poop jokes, we've been finding some sort of scat in our yard recently, bigger than a rat, smaller than a small dog. The yard is fully fenced so whatever it is, either lives in the yard, or can climb. Psycho Schnauzer goes nuts in the morning as though some critter has recently passed through. I don't like not knowing what's sharing my space.

brian10x
07-24-2006, 04:30 AM
"Speaking of poop jokes, we've been finding some sort of scat in our yard recently, bigger than a rat, smaller than a small dog. The yard is fully fenced so whatever it is, either lives in the yard, or can climb. Psycho Schnauzer goes nuts in the morning as though some critter has recently passed through. I don't like not knowing what's sharing my space"

I had that problem too, until I realized I was sleep - pooping.

HollyDolly
08-01-2006, 08:28 AM
:eek: Never had an encounter with one.There is a ghost town out near Langtry,Tx by this name.The men building the railroad through the area named the town for the vinegaroons,since there were so many.

LauraA
08-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Hello Dolly! (I've ALWAYS wanted to say that ;) ) Welcome to the forum! Although these icky-looking critters are supposed to be relatively harmless, I wouldn't want to live anywhere where they could be seen in large doses.
We've got a Crappie Drive in our area, named after the crappie fish in the lake nearby...even so...blechhhh. :D

NWNative
08-01-2006, 06:03 PM
I think I'd have let the spider keep the chair!
Up here is the NW, the scat that is between a rat and a dog is usually Coon or Possum, don't know if you have a lot of those down your way though.

LauraA
08-01-2006, 08:43 PM
I haven't seen any raccoons or possums, but that doesn't mean they aren't around somewhere...lurking.
Whatever it is, it seems to be a regular visitor, judging from its nightly deposits.

GaryB
08-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Does your dog use the same area for the restroom :confused:

LauraA
08-02-2006, 04:25 AM
Does your dog use the same area for the restroom :confused:

It's not my psycho Schnauzer leaving these...I'd recognize his offerings anywhere. :D

GaryB
08-02-2006, 11:45 AM
No, didn't mean that. But in the animal kingdom, "lesser" species tend to use the same spots for their waste that more "dominant" species do. Kind of like follow the leader. There's a few companies that sell animal urine from coyotes, bobcats, etc. to aid in training house pets to learn where they should be using an area you prefer for them to use.

I have friends that live in the out skirts of Vegas and other areas that have dogs that are constantly freaking out from the coyotes that come into the yard and leave waste.

It could be something along the lines of a kit fox or ring -tailed cat.

LauraA
08-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Possibly a Kit Fox, and yes, we've got Ring tails here. One of these nights I'll sit out there and try to see whatever it is making night deposits. It doesn't use the same area Psycho Schnauzer uses, but seems to go where ever it wants to. It sure drives Psycho Schnauzer crazy when he goes out in the morning and smells something's been on his territory. Fortunately, the scat is too small to be coyotes, several neighbors have lost cats to them in the past and we'd hate to have anything happen to Psycho Schnauzer (he's crazy, but we accept him for what he is)

brian10x
08-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Possibly a Kit Fox, and yes, we've got Ring tails here. One of these nights I'll sit out there and try to see whatever it is making night deposits. It doesn't use the same area Psycho Schnauzer uses, but seems to go where ever it wants to. It sure drives Psycho Schnauzer crazy when he goes out in the morning and smells something's been on his territory. Fortunately, the scat is too small to be coyotes, several neighbors have lost cats to them in the past and we'd hate to have anything happen to Psycho Schnauzer (he's crazy, but we accept him for what he is)

I can send you a picture of one of my award winning poops for reference, if it helps.

http://www.poopreport.com/

LauraA
08-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Yikes BRIAN!! :eek: I thought at my age, I'd seen it all...now I know for sure I have.