PDA

View Full Version : Current conditon of Gold Springs Utah?

utah-ghost
07-05-2006, 03:20 PM
www.robertwynn.com/GoldS.htm

The above web site says that Gold Springs Utah was demolished in 2004. Does anyone know if this is true?:( If so, how much is left?

cheever
07-05-2006, 09:11 PM
OK here is what I know. I was there in the spring of 2004. The contractor that the State hired to reclaim the mines was down there at the same time getting ready to do the reclaiming. I talked to the owner of the construction company while he was taking pictures of the Jennie Mine and Mill and asked him if they had been told to reclaim all or part of the Jennie Mine. His answer was no, that they were there to reclaim all of the rest of the mines and that the Jennie Mine was not part of the contract (which makes me wonder why he was taking pictures of it). After our little talk with him I was excited thinking that the Jennie Mine was going to make it through the reclaimation unscathed and well, it did sort of, but come to find out later that year the owner of the said mine decided to avoid any legal liability from the idiots of the world that he should have the headframe and mill leveled! I was lucky enough to be one of the last people to see and photograph it standing. To see before and after pictures refer to this site: http://desertislands.org/gold.htm There are definitely more things to see down there in the general area like Fay, Deerlodge, and Stateline, but the destruction of the Jennie Mine and Mill took away (in my opinion) the only thing worth seeing in goldsprings. Anyhow I don't see how the owner limited his liability in any way shape or form simply because he left all of the scrap metal and wood laying everywhere!!! How in the world is this area any safer now with metal and wood scraps laying everywhere?

utah-ghost
07-06-2006, 04:15 AM
Thanks for the information, although it is sad to see this site gone. Gold Springs was the first ghost town that I visited when I started exploring ghost towns back in 1979.

Luckily I have pictures of what is was back then, which is all that's left now.:(

More history destroyed in the name of safety. "If you make something idiot proof only an idiot will use it."

caver
07-06-2006, 09:27 AM
I was out there maybe Thanksgiving 2003 give or take a year. Nice little headframe on the Jennie Mine but it had a bad crack and was probably going to fall without repairs. What a shame.
I've got some slide photos of it somewhere.
I really wanted to explore more in that area but everywhere I went sagebrush was threatning to scratch the SUV rental. Fun way to spend a Thanksgiving.
Lund hot springs are interesting if ever in that general area.