PDA

View Full Version : Homestead information needed.

LauraA
07-08-2006, 07:36 AM
The place we live here in Roosevelt, Arizona used to be part of the "Alma Kirby" homestead. I've run into a dead end trying to find information on Alma Kirby. The local historical society doesn't have anything, neither does the state.
The court house records don't go back that far except for just having this on record as once being homesteaded land in the late 1800's. The same information is on our deed.
Does anyone have any suggestions where to find information about old homesteads?

bad bob
07-08-2006, 08:33 AM
Hi Laura
Try to Google "Old Homesteads research", and other varieties of subject to see what happens. Did you contact State Libraries? These are usually best source. And I'd also try ALL of them, and the Colleges & Universities. I think there's a huge national library in DC tho it may be called by other name.

BTW if you want to hear great instrumental version of Tennessee Waltz, Google "Alma Kirby homestead" and click 3rd entry titled "library".
bb.

LauraA
07-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Thank you Bob and TW. I'll follow your suggestions.
TW, where were you able to find that information?
As an aside, this has been the day from **** here. Major computer problems. I've been on the phone all day (8 hours!) with various non-English speaking technical support. I was so upset I actually cried over the phone...bet they got a chuckle out of that. :( Anyway, I just got back online and this was the first place I came.
I'm going to go listen to the Tennessee Waltz now, it's so soothing. ;)

LauraA
07-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Thanks TW, Amazon did have both books available, I ordered each and I'm looking forward to reading them. :)

LauraA
07-14-2006, 12:59 PM
TW...both books arrived in record time (both shipped from Arizona, I purchased them both used from resellers on Amazon)
I've been alternating between the two of them and having a great time.
"Arizona Place Names" has been relegated to a place of honor in the bathroom...exactly the sort of quick read one should have in there, :D GREAT information about so many places I've been curious about.

GaryB
07-14-2006, 04:17 PM
I'm full of it.

Best, TW

http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/ruinkai/biggthumpup.gif

LauraA
07-15-2006, 06:43 AM
I'm always interested in reading anything about Arizona history, particularly early ranchers and miners. I'm growing quite a library here, it's the only thing keeping me from getting cabin fever during these too-hot-to-go-exploring summer months. Each day I wake up and ask my husband, "Is it October yet?" Our Jeep looks sad sitting out there waiting to go on a trek, but, unfortunately as much as I love Arizona, I'm not very heat tolerant and even though it's got air conditioning, I always have to consider the possibility of vehicle problems while in some really isolated location.
I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have for good reading...as a matter of fact, I think a good forum category would be "Suggested GT and Historical Reading" where people can post books they've read along with opinions and perhaps even the resource on where to buy them.
Hope you all are staying cool, we're heading for 116 today :(

"Arizona, where you can phone the devil and it's not even a long-distance call."

LauraA
07-16-2006, 03:58 PM
TW Thank You!!! I really appreciate you taking the time to get all that information together. I printed your post out and I'll use it as a guide for future purchases. My husband said to be sure and thank you from him too, now we won't have to argue about who is reading which book next. (also who gets to use the "reading room" next :D )
He's currrently reading "Raising Arizona's Dams" Daily Life, Danger, and Descrimination in the Dam Construction Camps of Central Arizona, 1860's - 1940's. By A.E. Rogge, D. Lorne McWatters, Melissa Keane and Richard P. Emanuel. It's a very interesting read and it's been really useful in helping us locate where the old camps were located housing the workers who built Roosevelt Dam.
We buy a lot of our books from the local Tonto Nat'l Forest Ranger Station/Welcome Center for Roosevelt Lake, they have a small gift shop and stock some fairly good books on occasion. We enjoy shooting the breeze with a couple of the Rangers while we're there, they know the T.N.F well and they're always willing to tell us what they know.
Thanks Again, we appreciate the time you took very much.

LauraA
07-16-2006, 05:11 PM
It is also avail in CD but since I don't have a computer I don't know where.

Do you use Mental Telepathy? Astral Projection? :confused: :eek:

LauraA
07-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Mysterious aint it? Theres more that one way to skin a pink rattler.

(its a stupid web tv thing, **** thing)

TW

Yep, pink rattlers get skinned either from front to back, or back to front and always verrryyy carefully :eek:

Web TV, does it do pretty much the same thing a computer does? Can you surf the web? Email?
We're so far out in the boonies here, we have to connect through a dial up server called "The River" (two juice cans and a string) it's the most unreliable darn thing you can imagine. There's no satellite, no cable, no nuthin' out here...it's the price we pay to live in heaven. :)
(why can't we say Dam with an N on here without getting the **** thingies?)

GaryB
07-16-2006, 08:07 PM
'Cause we don't like you city folk cussin' up our site :p

But you can say d.a.m.n. :)

LauraA
07-18-2006, 03:06 AM
"Ghosts Of The Adobe Walls" proved to be a GREAT read! About six months ago we were metal detecting near the foot of Reno Pass (about 2 miles out in the desert from the old Camp Reno site.) The detector went nuts, so we started digging. About two feet down we found a large iron gear of some kind and we couldn't figure out what it could have come off of. There's a picture in the book (pg. 116) showing a well drilling machine, on the upper left of the photo there's a gear on the machine exactly like the one we found. It makes me wonder if the rest of the rig is buried out there too? My husband says it's doubtful, that they may have simply done a repair to the machine and left the old gear.
It's fairly rough terrain, but that area was heavily traveled at one time as a route to and from Fort McDowell and someone might have pulled a drilling rig over the pass in hopes of finding water in one of the nearby settlements or ranches. Anyway, it looks like our mystery is solved and everyone's den should have a rusted, well drilling machine gear as part of the decor. :)

NWNative
07-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Just ran across this site and thought of your homestead ?.
It's interesting to look over the old records.
http://www.mycochise.com/

LauraA
07-26-2006, 08:34 PM
Thanks for thinking of my post. Cochise County is where Brian's Black Diamond is located. We're in Gila County. :)

NWNative
07-26-2006, 08:40 PM
Any idea what Alma's husband's name was?
Ran across a site with old articles about a KIRBY, Andrew (http://genealogyimagesofhistory.com/images/jackswilling.JPG) - 1850 era - Site - Arizona Territory - Named in article entitled "The Impossible Jack Swelling"
http://www.genealogyimagesofhistory.com/kf-kj.htm

LauraA
07-26-2006, 08:53 PM
I'm not sure that Alma had a husband. Our deed and the only records at the court house, just says that the property we're on was part of the Alma Kirby Homestead in the late 1800's. I think unless she was either unmarried or a widow, her husband's name would have been listed as the homesteader. That's an interesting lead you found, maybe if I delve further into Andrew Kirby, he might have been related to her.

bad bob
07-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Dear old Alma, and her without air conditioning. Land sakes!
Did ya ever give HDD back his keys? He's still lookin' fer 'em, 'specially the ones to the outhouse.
bb.

LauraA
07-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Lordamercy, there you are...I thought maybe you and Queen Long might a ridden off into the sunset together.
Nope lost the keys. last time I saw HDD he had a VERY worried look on his face. :p

bad bob
07-27-2006, 06:38 PM
If ya don't give Drifter his keys back, Grannie, it'll cost him a pretty dime to replace 'em.

Hopin' to tie Queen Long up...I mean.. tie the knot, but she spurned me Lorna, dang her hide. Now I'll hafta go back to
e-hoes, grifters, 'n painted ladies, and start anew.
I sure wish you hadda lead on a good woman Lori. Like Brian said...someone like you Lana, quick wit, charming, well travelled, you know, all them goodies that menfolk likes.
bubba.

LauraA
07-27-2006, 06:48 PM
aw shucks BubbaBillieBob, ya'all sure know how ta turn a woman's fancy with yer flatterin' ways 'n sweet typin'

I'm off now, gotta see if'in I ken figger out what parts the fancy 'n what parts the goodies.

Grannie, Lorna, Lori, Lana, Lucy

bad bob
07-27-2006, 07:33 PM
aw shucks BubbaBillieBob, ya'all sure know how ta turn a woman's fancy with yer flatterin' ways 'n sweet typin'

I'm off now, gotta see if'in I ken figger out what parts the fancy 'n what parts the goodies.

Grannie, Lorna, Lori, Lana

Much obliged miss Lucy
bub.

Johnnie
08-10-2006, 04:59 AM
The place we live here in Roosevelt, Arizona used to be part of the "Alma Kirby" homestead. I've run into a dead end trying to find information on Alma Kirby. The local historical society doesn't have anything, neither does the state.
The court house records don't go back that far except for just having this on record as once being homesteaded land in the late 1800's. The same information is on our deed.
Does anyone have any suggestions where to find information about old homesteads?

WE will check out our archives for any information on your request.

Johnnie & Sheila:)

LauraA
08-10-2006, 05:11 AM
WE will check out our archives for any information on your request.

Johnnie & Sheila:)

Thank you, any informaton would be greatly appreciated! :)

Johnnie
08-11-2006, 04:32 AM
Thank you, any informaton would be greatly appreciated! :)

Just had to let you know we did not forget about your request.

Johnnie & Sheila;)

LauraA
08-11-2006, 06:10 AM
Just had to let you know we did not forget about your request.

Johnnie & Sheila;)

No problem, the roads leading to the information can be pretty bumpy this time of year. ;)