PDA

View Full Version : "Pioneer Town"???

Johnnie
07-12-2006, 08:11 AM
We who live here in California, are keeping tabs, on this very Historical landmark because of the brush fires that have been thratening Pioneer Town, just N/E of Palm Springs. This is where of Roy Roger, and Gene Autery filmed all their western's back in the 1940s and 50s,we hope that this town is spared. But we just herd on the news that the flames have burned more than 26,000 acres and it may have takeing the town also We have not been out that way in over 25 years so we not sure how many people live in and around Pioneer Town, so maybe Dezdan, can give us an update.

Johnnie & Sheila

bad bob
07-12-2006, 08:35 AM
Last I heard from Fox news, Pioneertown remains undamaged. Wind has shifted fire now heading NE.
bb.

GaryB
07-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Bad news.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13827276/

NWNative
07-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Maybe I misread this but I think it said that the historic building were spared.

'Course 'tis the hour for a wee bit of libation so I might not have read correctly.

Johnnie
07-13-2006, 08:03 AM
We who live here in California, are keeping tabs, on this very Historical landmark because of the brush fires that have been thratening Pioneer Town, just N/E of Palm Springs. This is where of Roy Roger, and Gene Autery filmed all their western's back in the 1940s and 50s,we hope that this town is spared. But we just herd on the news that the flames have burned more than 26,000 acres and it may have takeing the town also We have not been out that way in over 25 years so we not sure how many people live in and around Pioneer Town, so maybe Dezdan, can give us an update.

Johnnie & Sheila

Thanks! everyone for the update on the fire near Pioneer Town. Still confused about how much of the movie ranch is still intact. I think we heard that some of the town was lost, but haven't found out if the "Red Dog Saloon" was saved?

Sheila & Johnnie

GaryB
07-13-2006, 03:14 PM
Maybe I misread this but I think it said that the historic building were spared.

'Course 'tis the hour for a wee bit of libation so I might not have read correctly.

Well they updated the original today, so depending on when you read it.......

The original said the main movie set was mostly spared, but some "non historic" (depends on who was judging?) structures/buildings were destroyed in/around the town. I guess we'll see when the smoke clears.

All I know is it's been rather bad here the last couple of days because of this and other CA fires with the winds channeling the smoke right up here.

LauraA
07-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Fox News, Phoenix reported it being a total loss this evening. It doesn't sound too good. What a shame, it's a neat area. :(

High Desert Drifter
07-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Local news report here in San Jose indicates the historic movie set area was saved? Guess your right. where is Geraldo when you need him?

i44troll
07-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Local news report here in San Jose indicates the historic movie set area was saved? Guess your right. where is Geraldo when you need him?
Having coffee with Dan Rather, I suppose.

LauraA
07-14-2006, 02:25 AM
According to this, Pioneer Town is safe. Fox News Phoenix should check their facts. :mad:

FOXNews.com - Firefighters Battle 40,000-Acre California Wildfire Nearing Resort Town - Local News | News Articles | National... (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,203268,00.html)

GaryB
07-14-2006, 04:12 PM
According to this, Pioneer Town is safe. Fox News Phoenix should check their facts. :mad:

They're just following the lead of FOX National news. Hurry up and report news and worry about details and facts later. When in doubt, make it up.

The Man In Black
07-15-2006, 12:11 AM
I was watching Ch.5(cbs in S.F.Ca.) And it seems that the Hayden Ranch(another movie ranch) was burned, but not sure how many buildings were lost. I noticed the rail car that was on the ranch was burned,but not sure how bad. It appered to still be in one piece. Anybody local care to update us western buffs?

josta
07-20-2006, 07:35 PM
A bit OT but "when the smoke clears", Pioneertown is a great place to visit and spend the afternoon with a restaurant, motel, couple of bars and even a bowling alley! The buildings on "Mane Street" are actually movie props from the '40s but quite authentic-looking and is a great place for photos; and every Sunday they have simulated gunfights. Check it out sometime!