PDA

View Full Version : USGS Topo Maps

Ghostdancer
07-13-2006, 05:51 AM
I'm guessing that a lot of you like myself have used USGS topography maps to aid you in visiting ghost towns and other sites. I have a collection of over 100 that I've purchased over the years.

Has anyone ordered these directly from the USGC and if so, is it cheaper? They've gotten rather expensive in the retail outlets.

Now, it seems like duplications are being produced by National Geographic/Off Route. I have to say that the contour lines and other features appear fuzzy as though they were printed off of a computer.

Tom

Bob
07-13-2006, 06:16 AM
I used to purchase them from USGS back in the old days and they were much cheaper BUT they have moved to electronic form and raised the paper prices. Since you can find the electronic form for almost anything for FREE on the net I no longer purchase them. Store better in electronic form also.

GaryB
07-13-2006, 03:24 PM
I was buying them for about $10 in 7 minute and 1:100,000. Then I just broke down and bought a few different programs that had them all (every USGS map in every size). $50 was better than over $3000 for Nevada. I rarely print them(GPS), but was told you can save the map you want to disk and have it printed at Kinko's for about $5, but it would be on regular paper.

But as far as I know, I can still get them for $10. How high have you been seeing them for?

brian10x
07-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Tom, I have been buying from Ebay. There are a couple of sellers that specialize in Topo's & sell for about 1/2 price of new. Some are new unused but sometimes you get lucky & find old issue with info thats been left off the newer ones. Worth a try.

TW

Yeah, like "gold stashed here, 100 yds south of cabin"

In our dreams, eh?

Ghostdancer
07-13-2006, 07:41 PM
I was buying them for about $10 in 7 minute and 1:100,000. Then I just broke down and bought a few different programs that had them all (every USGS map in every size). $50 was better than over $3000 for Nevada. I rarely print them(GPS), but was told you can save the map you want to disk and have it printed at Kinko's for about $5, but it would be on regular paper.

But as far as I know, I can still get them for $10. How high have you been seeing them for?

They are selling for around $9 at Wide World of Maps in Mesa, but think U.S. Map and Flag in Tucson sells them for around $6.50.

GaryB
07-13-2006, 08:58 PM
They are selling for around $9 at Wide World of Maps in Mesa, but think U.S. Map and Flag in Tucson sells them for around $6.50.

Sounds like you can get them better "locally" than I can.

I'd by mine from WWofM, but only because I know the owner in a round about way ;)

Neal in Nevada
08-07-2006, 02:13 PM
Here is a link to the best topomap/airphoto software in the world :p ...no lie!

http://www.jdmcox.com

Download USAPhotomaps and it will retrieve topomaps and air photos for anywhere in the US...plus it "speaks" to most GPS units. I've used it for years and own many other mapping software (TopoUSA, GoogleEarth) and I always start and end with Jim Cox's USAPhotomaps!!! You can print your topomaps right out of his program and the corresponding airphotos too.