PDA

View Full Version : Madrid, New Mexico

i44troll
07-13-2006, 05:58 PM
Just got back from a trip thru N.M. and as far south as Madrid. We were looking for the old ruins but were turned around by a movie crew on main street shooting a Tim Allen movie. After visiting a few websites i noticed one that stated that fire had taken out several structures several years ago. I wonder if anyone has been there recently, and what is the condition of the mining town?--Chris

old judge
07-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Last time I was in Madrid was late Spring, 1997, so much has probably changed. My impression at that time was that "main street" was always the primary roadway through Madrid. If by ruins, you refer to the vintage pics of company houses, hotel, bars, etc., again, some of those survive but are completely renovated and are right there along the highway. My pokin' and probin' around off the highway, while fun and interesting, caused me to believe that most of interest was either gone or rebuilt. I really got more bang for my buck out of Cerrillos, up the road.....But both are excellent visits for old broken down GTers with 2wd...... OJ

i44troll
07-13-2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks OJ, I figured as such. One of my GT books say that the townfolk hated the way that the town was considered a ghost town. This book was first published in the 70's so I really didnt know what to expect once I arrived. We were able to drive thru the town but we were basically "pushed" through so they could continue filming. From there we went south to Golden, went back thru the Madrid "Gauntlett" and visited Cerrillos and Waldo then to Galisteo and the fantastic cemetery there. Missed Hagan and Coyote though, road construction crews kept us all messed up. All-in-all a very good experience.--Chris

mattmc
07-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Madrid is a really cute town, but not much of a ghost town. it has been an artist refuge since at least the 70s, and is now starting to feel the effects of Santa Fe's booming realestate boom. there are a few old empty houses just south of the mine shaft tavern, and the mine museum is fun, but don't expect to find much desolation. very scenic, however.