PDA

View Full Version : A man's got to know his limitations

brian10x
07-15-2006, 05:39 PM
(Black Diamond Mine part 3?)

A man with an obsession can be a glutton for punishment.

I made another attempt to find the BD mine today, with some success-well, sort of.

After many hours scouring topo maps I located what I thought were 3 possible back doors. (The last attempt left me locked out of the main trail by a padlocked gate)

Backdoor #1 left me again at the same locked gate. Map error. Or the trail just before it was the one. Unfortunately, that trail went DIRECTLY to the rancher's house. I tried to find a break in the fence, but I was fenced in on three sides, at least for 1/4 mile.

Backdoor #2 was alot more promising, that is, until I came accross locked gate #2. (see below) No one was in sight anywhere, and I was tempted to break through, but a little voice kept reminding me it was the middle of nowhere, and I was armed with a .44magnum with max velocity hunting loads. I need to avoid confrontation AT ANY COST.

See my next post for the continuation of this pathetic saga of woe...

brian10x
07-15-2006, 05:57 PM
So on to possible backdoor #3. I traveled Middlemarch road to its peak, then took last installment's trail again to the left. This time I continued on a steep trail up the mountian to the left. It looked really promising. About 3/4 of the way up, the trail got a lot steeper (no problem), a bit narrower (not to worry!) and the drop off somewhat more treacherous. (What, me worry?)

Funny thing I discovered about ATVs. They like to roll. (No, thank goodness, I didn't find out first hand) The trail ahead had been eroded in many places by recent monsoon rains. It was eroded deeply in places, but randomly, as God has a habit of doing. After several minutes of careful deliberation (and a peek or two at the drop off) I decided to call it quits for another day. (hopefully) I would have taken a picture if I wasn't frozen in raw fear.

I'm putting the BD on the backburner for a while.

So as not to completely waste my day, I poked around Middlemarch Canyon a while, and came back with pictures of this bigass flooded hole in the mountain (picture 1) Picture 2 is a little closer, and 3 closer still.

In the true spirit of the seven gates of ****, there is an orb pictured in the last shot. Yes, I am very interested in the paranormal as well, but sorry, I think this one's just a sunspot. (But what if...)
It was a very creepy place. I kinda wish I had a canoe to get inside.

So, that leaves me planning my next southern Arizona GT trip. Suggestions?

Oh, I almost forgot-:mad: :mad: :mad:

brian10x
07-15-2006, 06:00 PM
First pic didn't make it

brian10x
07-15-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm having a problem uploading my last picture. Let's try this again

LauraA
07-15-2006, 07:02 PM
'tis a wise man who knows his limitations.
You're really determined to find this mine. Wasn't it too hot down your way to be crawling around the desert? That picture of the hole with cables leading down to it looked like something begging for further exploration. (inflatable raft on your ATV?) The Black Diamond will continue to haunt you until you've found it. What if you went to the rancher's door and asked permission to pass through? ...you know, hat in hand, turn on the charm and add pretty please while complimenting him on his wisdom for living in such a wonderful environment. Maybe once he's assured that you're not just some yahoo out to graffiti up his place, he'll impart some of his down-home wisdom on you?
GREAT pictures and great writing. I'm so jealous but simply can't take the heat.

brian10x
07-15-2006, 07:49 PM
'tis a wise man who knows his limitations.
You're really determined to find this mine. Wasn't it too hot down your way to be crawling around the desert?
I started at 7am!

That picture of the hole with cables leading down to it looked like something begging for further exploration.
Yeah! What if that orb in the last picture was realy a dead miner trying to communicate with me? Trying to lead me his hidden gold?

(inflatable raft on your ATV?) The Black Diamond will continue to haunt you until you've found it. What if you went to the rancher's door and asked permission to pass through?
Actually, that my next plan. I'll take a garbage bag with me to show my sincerity.

...you know, hat in hand, turn on the charm and add pretty please while complimenting him on his wisdom for living in such a wonderful environment. Maybe once he's assured that you're not just some yahoo out to graffiti up his place, he'll impart some of his down-home wisdom on you?
GREAT pictures and great writing. I'm so jealous but simply can't take the heat.
If it were easier, everybody would be out there, and it wouldn't be so peaceful.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

LauraA
07-15-2006, 08:00 PM
There are two orbs in the photo!!! ...reckon this IS one of the seven gates? We need a teenager to determine if it's actual fact.
Also, notice the misty aura coming from the hole, maybe the spirits are warning you to
keeeeeep awayyyyyyyyyy :eek:

PS regarding the poll, since I'm a woman, I don't need a reason for anything I do :p

GaryB
07-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Looks like a mine that hit water to me. Got a few of those nearby :D

LauraA
07-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Brian, is this "your" Black Diamond mine? I came across this while trying to find info about my own obsession, The Blue Bird Mine.

Framed Santa Ana Mining - Cochise County, Territory of Arizona 1898 - Founders Share (http://www.scripophily.net/sananamincom1.html)

brian10x
07-19-2006, 12:17 AM
Brian, is this "your" Black Diamond mine? I came across this while trying to find info about my own obsession, The Blue Bird Mine.

Framed Santa Ana Mining - Cochise County, Territory of Arizona 1898 - Founders Share (http://www.scripophily.net/sananamincom1.html)

Thats the one!

By the way, after careful consideration, I've decided to try what you suggested and to ask the rancher for permission to access his land. If he says no, I can always shoot him dead and take the keys. Or not. :mad: :mad: :mad:

LauraA
07-19-2006, 02:31 AM
..... Before you resort to violence (messy and you'd have to adopt his cows if you shot him) Try printing out the certificate of ownership, put your name on it and tell him you own the place and that he's trespassing. You'll allow him to stay on as caretaker after you go and inspect your property. :rolleyes:
If that's too devious for you, just print the certificate anyway and show it to him, it might help convince him your not just an ATV riding yahoo and you're serious about researching the area.

GaryB
07-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Tell him you're Vincente Fox looking for some of your people :D

High Desert Drifter
07-20-2006, 04:58 PM
..... Before you resort to violence (messy and you'd have to adopt his cows if you shot him) Try printing out the certificate of ownership, put your name on it and tell him you own the place and that he's trespassing. You'll allow him to stay on as caretaker after you go and inspect your property. :rolleyes:
If that's too devious for you, just print the certificate anyway and show it to him, it might help convince him your not just an ATV riding yahoo and you're serious about researching the area.

I say shoot him and then post the cows on the wanted / for sale section of this forum and we can all purchase some steaks for cheap!

LauraA
07-20-2006, 05:15 PM
I say shoot him and then post the cows on the wanted / for sale section of this forum and we can all purchase some steaks for cheap!

That's the best solution yet, see what happens when warped...err talented minds put their heads together? I'll start the BBQ.

Flatiron
07-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Laura.......T-bone please, medium well.........;)

bad bob
07-20-2006, 05:47 PM
MMMmmm T-bone does sound good.
But since if have no teeth, I'll go with filet mignon, same way, and either humble pie or crow fer dessert.
bb.

GaryB
07-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Back strap, butter-flyed, medium-well. Nice and tender.

I'll bring the cerveza.

LauraA
07-21-2006, 04:37 AM
Hey! I just said I was starting the BBQ, I don't cook and don't wait tables (don't get any ideas about getting your windows washed either) :mad: ;)
I'll take a Nu Yawk strip, well-done with attitude. :cool:

LauraA
07-21-2006, 06:57 AM
MMMmmm T-bone does sound good.
But since if have no teeth, I'll go with filet mignon, same way, and either humble pie or crow fer dessert.
bb.

naw BB, you don't want the humble pie today, it hasn't got enough sugar and it's too hard to swallow. As for eating crow, getting past the feathers can cause choking :D

NWNative
07-21-2006, 08:25 AM
I've found that when interacting with cows, one finds plenty of pies just laying about.

High Desert Drifter
07-21-2006, 03:18 PM
Thats true, there should be plenty of pie upon the pasture for BB. and he won't need to bring his teeth with him either, just melts in your mouth!

GaryB
07-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Thats true, there should be plenty of pie upon the pasture for BB. and he won't need to bring his teeth with him either, just melts in your mouth!

And you might find some straw in it to pick teeth with after you's done eatin'.

bad bob
07-21-2006, 04:20 PM
And you might find some straw in it to pick teeth with after you's done eatin'.

Hmmm... let's see, cow pies or crow? Ok...I'll... take...the...
CROW. And since I don't have any teeth, straw "will not be required". [son on Las Vegas Vacation-with Chevy Chase].
bb.

LauraA
07-21-2006, 05:26 PM
oops Brian, sorry your post got so far off the beaten path (my bad) ;) :o
Back to your topic though, is there more than one Black Diamond in Arizona? I found this article, but it doesn't sound like "your" mine?

Peoria Man Sentenced To 9 Years for Securities Fraud (http://www.cc.state.az.us/news/pr05-03.htm)

brian10x
07-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Well, the BD is not in Peoria, so probably not.

Trouble is, its a catchy name, so its bound to be in use in more than one mine.

LauraA
07-22-2006, 12:41 AM
Yep Brian, that's exactly what I'm running into trying to research "my" Bluebird mine. There are lots of Bluebird mines in Arizona, but little to no information about MY Bluebird. I did find it listed on the mindat.org site, but not any meaty information, just that is was an azurite mine.

Flatiron
07-22-2006, 05:13 AM
Laura....Is "your" Bluebird Mine located in the Pinals or Sierra Anchas by any chance?......

LauraA
07-22-2006, 06:12 AM
Laura....Is "your" Bluebird Mine located in the Pinals or Sierra Anchas by any chance?......

It's close to the Sierra Anchas, between the Salome Wilderness area and the Sierra Anchas, just below Greenback Valley. Do you know the area? We know all three routes to get there, we've tried two of them and have been very close on several occasions, but the road gets way too tippy to proceed. (leaning wayyyy over in a Jeep looking straight down 300 feet) There's one more route to try by ourselves, or we'll wait until Tonto Nat'l Forest Rangers to go and caravan with them. We'd prefer to not have to go with the rangers, they're good guys, but it'll spoil the experience some if we're with them. We hesitate to go further on the tippy roads we've tried by ourselves, just in case something happens, it's a long walk out. The hot weather has squelched any further attempts to try the last route in until it cools off a bit in the fall.