PDA

View Full Version : outdated and non-participating members

High Desert Drifter
07-20-2006, 06:17 PM
I noticed there are a lot of outdated non-participating members on the members list. many I believe probably registered just to see what the forum was about and decided not to participate or return for whatever reason.. Does anyone ever clear them off after months of non activity or whatever?

brian10x
07-20-2006, 06:41 PM
:mad:
I noticed there are a lot of outdated non-participating members on the members list. many I believe probably registered just to see what the forum was about and decided not to participate or return for whatever reason.. Does anyone ever clear them off after months of non activity or whatever?

Don't say anything, but we have to keep the numbers high so we get better seats at the annual convention.
:mad: :mad: :confused:

bad bob
07-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Brian...has the convention already been held?
If not, I'd like to know if it'll be in Vegas this year. Hoping to save a trip. I'm trying to catch up with Mr Jack Box, and their annual convention is in Vegas. I simply refuse to be put off by a CEO with a large styrofoam head.
bb.

GaryB
07-20-2006, 08:01 PM

I'd say never on here. On forums I was an Admin. on, we never bothered unless they were banned or asked us to remove them. In the old days of BB's, where storage space was an issue, sometimes, but usually we were updating boards once a year, and in doing so, starting from scratch each time so folks had to re-register. That kind of took care of house cleaning. But now things are saved so much easier and in smaller numbers, plus band width and site storage is so big, it would take a lot of junk on a message board to hog up a site to the point they'd need to delete non-users.

I'd also say that at least 30% of the one time posters here are spam bots.

GaryB
11-25-2006, 01:00 AM
I'd also say that at least 30% of the one time posters here are spam bots.

I was close, I think I've banned about 100 spammers so far. Seems many of the one time posters are folks buying or selling in the classifieds, or clowns responding to the countless Turnbull and Gravity Hill threads.

Oh I wish I could just click the "delete" button on those latter ones ;)

old judge
11-25-2006, 08:22 AM
To tell you the truth, I've had some fun and entertainment from the Gravity Hill/Turnbull Canyon posters. And ain't Turnbull where we first met Andy, or am I mistaken? And Gosh, now he are a monsternator. OJ :rolleyes: P.S. Wonder if he and Sasha ever got together???

GaryB
11-25-2006, 09:40 PM
I think he was looking for Manson's haunted anti gravity jungle gym in a park some where that was run by the KKK and some green orbs.

Speaking of Andy, anyone heard from him since his *cough* vacation *cough* travel for land for his new cult?

old judge
11-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Gary, You're absolutely right. It took Andy a while to work his way up to Turnbull Canyon and Gravity Hill. But once he found Sasha, he was hooked. OJ

Prerunner1982
12-02-2006, 07:23 PM

Back to the original post.... I know from the countless other forums I am on that alot of people will go ahead and register but will read rather than post. Yes there are the spammers and such.. but how do you know if they dont post? Cant just clear out everyone that doesnt post, some may be more active than you think.

Old Judge... any good places around OKC to visit....say within an hours drive?

GaryB
12-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Yes there are the spammers and such.. but how do you know if they dont post? Cant just clear out everyone that doesnt post, some may be more active than you think.

Search the members list and by using the last visit column, you'll see you get to page 13 before you find the first person that has logged in within the last 2 years. I doubt many register and keep coming back without signing in. Especially those from 2003 and back.

Many one time posters registered to sell something and have not been back since that day. We still have ads from 3+ years ago which I'd bet money 99% are no longer needed.

Also, I can search the registration info and see by the mail address's and IP#'s who a likely spammer is. Many I have deleted never posted, or are stuck in email confirmation. I got one the other day as it was registering, and another in mid post (that one was fun :) ) alone by searching info against other known spammers.

If a "spammer" has a legit email and IP but does not post, well who cares?

I went through every registered member I can see on my end and am pretty sure I got 99.9% of them. I'm working my way through the 17,000+ posts to move the threads around to the right forums and find the embedded spam posts in legit threads right now. It's taking time, but I've gotten rid of about 40 or so posts so far that were hidden spam.

GaryB
12-03-2006, 09:57 PM
I forgot, if we ban someone that ends up legit, we can reverse the ban. But I don't hear anyone knocking. If we dump them, all they have to do is re-register.

I have deleted quite a few spammers that have registered again under a slight variance of their first banned name. One has even started adding numbers behind the name. IIRC I've got him up to #4 or 5 :rolleyes:

brian10x
12-04-2006, 04:32 AM
I forgot, if we ban someone that ends up legit, we can reverse the ban. But I don't hear anyone knocking. If we dump them, all they have to do is re-register.

I have deleted quite a few spammers that have registered again under a slight variance of their first banned name. One has even started adding numbers behind the name. IIRC I've got him up to #4 or 5 :rolleyes:

Please give me a get out of jail free card. Sometimes, for no apparent reason, I go off half-cocked and post some crazy oscene or tasteless drivel.

I blame society for making me into the monster I am.

LauraA
12-04-2006, 06:01 AM
Please give me a get out of jail free card. Sometimes, for no apparent reason, I go off half-cocked and post some crazy oscene or tasteless drivel.

I blame society for making me into the monster I am.

Don't let him kid you, this is the REAL Brian10x.

old judge
12-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Gary B....You're my hero. Sounds as if you're tak'n this deal serious. Please give me a break if, from time to time, I offend you or yours. You see, I'm used to offending, without recourse by the offendee. Ah, such is life. One day on top,,,the next lookin' up....OJ:cool:

GaryB
12-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Gary B....You're my hero. Sounds as if you're tak'n this deal serious. Please give me a break if, from time to time, I offend you or yours. You see, I'm used to offending, without recourse by the offendee. Ah, such is life. One day on top,,,the next lookin' up....OJ:cool:

No need to worry, I don't get all butt hurt over what's said on a internet message board. Or even really face to face for that matter.

And I know I'm really good at offending myself. I seem to have a knack for ******* off the stupid and ignorant :)

bad bob
12-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks Gary, a lot.

That has to be one of the more tedious jobs, at best.
bb.

bad bob
12-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Jes haulin' out some foreign trash.

Johnnie
01-11-2007, 05:49 AM
Search the members list and by using the last visit column, you'll see you get to page 13 before you find the first person that has logged in within the last 2 years. I doubt many register and keep coming back without signing in. Especially those from 2003 and back.

Many one time posters registered to sell something and have not been back since that day. We still have ads from 3+ years ago which I'd bet money 99% are no longer needed.

Also, I can search the registration info and see by the mail address's and IP#'s who a likely spammer is. Many I have deleted never posted, or are stuck in email confirmation. I got one the other day as it was registering, and another in mid post (that one was fun :) ) alone by searching info against other known spammers.

If a "spammer" has a legit email and IP but does not post, well who cares?

I went through every registered member I can see on my end and am pretty sure I got 99.9% of them. I'm working my way through the 17,000+ posts to move the threads around to the right forums and find the embedded spam posts in legit threads right now. It's taking time, but I've gotten rid of about 40 or so posts so far that were hidden spam.

We just got back from our trip.

And when we were "out and about" we cleared the road of all the debris that was not there eariler. :cool:

J & S