PDA

View Full Version : Fellow GT'ers- Thank You

Goat
07-22-2006, 05:26 PM
I sense some hurt feelings and "flak" flying around, so I'd like to let all of you regulars (you know who you are) know how much I appreciate this forum, and hold you all in the highest esteem. I am in AWE of the knowledge, passion, and (especially) organization that you folks possess. Our historians, Johnnie and Sheila, and Cecile are fountains of information, and I feel like a kid in school (yep, the nerd with the raised hand in the front row) when I read their posts.

I found this forum during recovery from a long illness (organ transplants), and it inspired me to do this stuff again. For me, this forum opened my eyes to the fact that there actually ARE others out there with an interest in this hobby. Believe it or not, I had no idea that this Was a hobby anymore. I thought it died out in the '70s. Sure, 10 years or so ago, you could buy books at B&N or second hand stores, but other than that, I GT'ed with one or two friends, or alone with my "sacred" pre-'75 cache of Desert Magazines to guide the way, and keep the interest fired up. I took a few pictures, drew rudimentary maps, and scrawled indecipherable notes that don't make sense anymore.

So now, I'm enlightened by everyones info, and don't go out to just peer into mines and old buildings. I can actually take in the whole picture, noticing more details, and raising more questions. I wouldn't have done this without input from this board. Heck, someone posted some pics about Ghost Towns that aren't in the desert (I think NWNative, maybe), and I sat there with a blank look on my face. I literally didn't know how to even prepare for a trip like that (I saw WATER in a picture!), so that opened up my mind, too.

So once again, thanks. I know we're being assailed by the paranormal/herbal supplement/mail order bride contingent, without much support from above, but if we're tough enough to endure the summer heat for this hobby, then we can weather this little p!$$ storm, too.

Thanks,

Goat

bad bob
07-23-2006, 04:40 PM
Wow Goat
Quite a story, and some very kind words to the group here. For me, they could not have come at a better time. Your sensors seem to be working jes fine.
Anyway, I do thank you a lot, and, hope your health continues to be the best possible. I would not presume to speak for this board group, but I think they feel the same or similar.
bb.

LauraA
07-24-2006, 03:00 AM
Goat, what a wonderful post! :) :)

NWNative
07-24-2006, 09:24 PM
Nice.
Thanks for considering me "regular"!

Flatiron
07-25-2006, 04:54 AM
Goat..........Though some people don't think so, this forum contains a wealth of information that can't be found in too many other places. Sure there may be other GT websites, but I've gleened more information off of this website than any other I've visited. With old west historians (and amatuer historians) and a collection of GTer's from all sections of the country, most any question can be answered by one or more of the "regulars" on this site. As I've said before, I've become a little disappointed with the direction this forum has been heading, but still check in to see if anything new has surfaced, and to be honest,I haven't added anything of real substance for awhile either. A good example of finding information is Brian10X's post looking for a way to find out how to contact the ranch manager while still in pursuit of his nemisis Black Diamond Mine. Various responses and links surfaced in no time, due to the knowledge of all these folks. I'm not sure what to do about the ghost hunters and weirdos, but hopefully they will tire of some of the drivel and go someplace else. Take care...........:D

speedy
07-25-2006, 06:44 AM
Just wanted to say "ditto" to what Goat had to say.

Johnnie
07-25-2006, 07:54 AM
quote=Goat]I sense some hurt feelings and "flak" flying around, so I'd like to let all of you regulars (you know who you are) know how much I appreciate this forum, and hold you all in the highest esteem. I am in AWE of the knowledge, passion, and (especially) organization that you folks possess. Our historians, Johnnie and Sheila, and Cecile are fountains of information, and I feel like a kid in school (yep, the nerd with the raised hand in the front row) when I read their posts.

I found this forum during recovery from a long illness (organ transplants), and it inspired me to do this stuff again. For me, this forum opened my eyes to the fact that there actually ARE others out there with an interest in this hobby. Believe it or not, I had no idea that this Was a hobby anymore. I thought it died out in the '70s. Sure, 10 years or so ago, you could buy books at B&N or second hand stores, but other than that, I GT'ed with one or two friends, or alone with my "sacred" pre-'75 cache of Desert Magazines to guide the way, and keep the interest fired up. I took a few pictures, drew rudimentary maps, and scrawled indecipherable notes that don't make sense anymore.

So now, I'm enlightened by everyones info, and don't go out to just peer into mines and old buildings. I can actually take in the whole picture, noticing more details, and raising more questions. I wouldn't have done this without input from this board. Heck, someone posted some pics about Ghost Towns that aren't in the desert (I think NWNative, maybe), and I sat there with a blank look on my face. I literally didn't know how to even prepare for a trip like that (I saw WATER in a picture!), so that opened up my mind, too.

So once again, thanks. I know we're being assailed by the paranormal/herbal supplement/mail order bride contingent, without much support from above, but if we're tough enough to endure the summer heat for this hobby, then we can weather this little p!$$ storm, too.

Thanks,

Goat[/quote] :)

Thanks! Goat, for taking the time to give us "all" such great support and for the compliments.

Sheila & I have been on ghostowns.com for about 3 1/2 years and enjoyed every minute we spent on the bulletin board We do wish it would return to what it once was. when everyone wanted to learn and read about ghost towns and the history of the old west and pioneers that built this great country.

But lately we all know that the fence has falling down and tresspassers have been allowed to invade our bullletin board and post unrelated junk, that we find very boreing. These posters that start searching, and get lost and fustrated, and start grabbing straws and come into a new web-site, just because it has ghost in it's title is where the trouble starts.

Good example is if all of us invaded a (comic book) web-site and started posting stories about what we thought was interesting to us, about ghost towns. But diffrence between us and "them" we know better, Just no respect.

The people that post when they are not wated are people that don't wan't to follow any rules anytime, any place, they do what they want when they want but we are sure that what comes arounds go around, hopefully that is true.

The reason we have not posted in last six months is because we are to busy trying to tend to all the health problems.

Shiela has had hi-blood pressure and on hi-bood pressure medication so long that a by-pass surgery was a must, on her kidney and now might need a new kidney in the next year along with and other health problems that are to involed to go into detail now. with So even though we don't post as much as we did we are still out hear on the "outskirts" of ghosttowns. :)

Johnnie & Sheila

LauraA
07-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Johnny & Sheila,
It was your posts that brought me to this forum in the first place. I've spend many contented hours pouring over the posts here, particularly yours'.
I'm sorry to hear about your health woes. I send best wishes and positive thoughts your
way for restored good health.
Laura

Goat
07-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Johnnie & Sheila,

I have been through 2 kidney transplants (and a pancreas transplant), and I would like to help you guys out in any way that I can. There are easy ways to get things done, and most of the time, you have to know someone that's been through it, or you have to use the old trial and error method- that's where I might be able to help, that's the route I took.

The transplant community is relatively small, and fairly tight knit, so alot of info can be shared in an informal manner.

It is my honor and duty to help others out that are in a similar situation. Heck, it's a life changing thing! For one thing, life itself is sweeter. I do the same stuff as before (hiking, shooting, riding my dirt bikes, etc.), but now I do it with more determination and purpose. The only problem now is that I find it much harder to call it quits in most endeavors. I just don't want to lose the feeling I get from doing the things that I love to do!

Please PM me if you feel inclined to do so. I'd love to help you out, in return for the help that you've given me.

And in a situation like this, there is on EXTREMELY IMPORTANT thing to remember: Never, ever lose your sense of humor! EVER! Sometimes, it's all you've got.

Goat

Flatiron
07-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Johnnie and Sheila...........I guess I didn't realize your health problems were so serious. Myself and Karen wish you both the best of luck, and thanks for all you've done to make this site so interesting. We hope things go well, and you once again have time to spend recanting your stories of the old west. I, for one, miss your input. Take care..............:mad:

Johnnie
07-26-2006, 06:03 AM
Johnnie & Sheila,

I have been through 2 kidney transplants (and a pancreas transplant), and I would like to help you guys out in any way that I can. There are easy ways to get things done, and most of the time, you have to know someone that's been through it, or you have to use the old trial and error method- that's where I might be able to help, that's the route I took.

The transplant community is relatively small, and fairly tight knit, so alot of info can be shared in an informal manner.

It is my honor and duty to help others out that are in a similar situation. Heck, it's a life changing thing! For one thing, life itself is sweeter. I do the same stuff as before (hiking, shooting, riding my dirt bikes, etc.), but now I do it with more determination and purpose. The only problem now is that I find it much harder to call it quits in most endeavors. I just don't want to lose the feeling I get from doing the things that I love to do!

Please PM me if you feel inclined to do so. I'd love to help you out, in return for the help that you've given me.

And in a situation like this, there is on EXTREMELY IMPORTANT thing to remember: Never, ever lose your sense of humor! EVER! Sometimes, it's all you've got.

Goat

Thanks! so much for your kind words everyone, We usually keep our health problem to ourselves but when we read your post Goat, we just had to let you and others know that we were still out here and can relate to what you going through.

And just wanted all our ghost town family, to know that we are still out here on the outskirts of our ghosttown buletin board, and are on the bulletin board most everyday depending what is going on with doctor appointments ect.

We would sure like to return to days when we had the time and ambition to post our stories and experiences in the "good" old days but it is just wishfull thinking.

But we want to add another thanks again to Goat, for offering a helping hand but we seem to be managing OK! now.

And we don't want to forget to thank Laura A, and Flation, for your Kind words and everyone else who took the time to e-mail us we also are thinking of selling out and and takeing one last trip around the western states before our health make us confinded to a old folks home.

Our minds are still inspired by all you guys, and gals. on the bulletin board, and all the stories you all write about and all your experience on "backroads" of this great country.

But if we do move, we will let everyone know that we are on the road, and what is going on with us somehow, but we just want to take that last trip before we settle down for good, and before any health issues keeps permanently tied down to one spot.

Thanks again everyone for the kind words it realy brought tear to our eyes, and was greatly received.

Your Fellow Ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila:)

NWNative
07-26-2006, 07:32 AM
If you hit Seattle and need a place to park or plug in an RV - give me a holler.

Johnnie
07-27-2006, 06:23 AM
If you hit Seattle and need a place to park or plug in an RV - give me a holler.

Thanks! NWNative for the offer, Gee!! We didn't realize we could drop off the "Grid" and be so portable and still have fun.

We had offers all over the western states mostly from long time friends. But we had great offers from all our ghosttown family aswell.

We can get a laptop, a satilete dish, GPS, and a cell phone, for the R V, so we can keep upto date with everyone on ghosttowns.com and still enjoy what is still out there but right now its is in the planing stages.

The wife has aunt and uncle that have a R V campground in Nothern Calif. a sister that has ranch outside of Carson City Nev. And friend that has ranch near a lake near Florence Or. and friends that 50 acres next to a lake in Northern Idaho and several friends in Arizona.

WOW! Now that that we think about it what are doing here??? Thanks again:)

Johnnie and Sheila