PDA

View Full Version : Sites around Ely, NV.

GaryB
07-23-2006, 02:32 PM
My local off road club goes to Ely the week after the 4th for different scenery, offering 3 or 4 different runs to choose from each day. The first two days I ran mostly scenic runs. The last day we crammed in two days worth of mine runs into one, hitting Hamilton, Treasure City, Eberhardt, Shermantown and Belmont. I finally got my pics up loaded and thought I'd share. There's also some other sites to see as I was on vacation for 7 days in central Nevada.

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Goat
07-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Nice pics, Gary! I sure wish there were some kind of Rosetta Stone to decipher petroglyphs. Is that a fox in the one picture?

Goat

bad bob
07-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Nice pics, Gary! I sure wish there were some kind of Rosetta Stone to decipher petroglyphs. Is that a fox in the one picture?

Goat

Yes, those are some of the best shots I'd seen in quite a while. I thought a lot of angles were very creative.
Too bad there's not much left at places like Hamilton, Treasure City, etc., and it's great you were able to at least get a photo record of what IS left. Good lookin' bunch'a kids too.
bb.

LauraA
07-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Gary, GREAT pics! Stampede Gap Mine made my mouth water. It's good that you have a group to go with, safety in numbers. The Jeep Club we belong to does trails too, but they're way too extreme for us.
We want scenery and GT's, not frayed nerves and Jeep damage.
Thanks for sharing!

GaryB
07-23-2006, 06:16 PM

Goat

Yeah, that was from last night. We were doing a pre-run of the trail for next Friday night and came across him in a slot canyon. It's a Kit Fox to be exact, and we saw 3 more before we got out, but he was the most photogenic.

Flatiron
07-24-2006, 04:57 AM
Great shots GaryB ! Very professional looking. You and Rocky are my new "heroes". Thanks.:p

LauraA
07-24-2006, 05:31 PM
Gary, Just wanted to give you a silly little bit of information. The can lid you're holding in Treasure City, looks like it was made by the Star Can Company of San Francisco. I've tried to find information about the company before without much success except the small article below. We found one like it at an old ranch, but it had been badly crushed.
A neat rusty little treasure.

William Lyman - Classic Can Opener

The inventor of the familiar household can opener was William Lyman. William Lyman patented a very easy to use can opener in 1870. The kind with the wheel that rolls and cuts around the rim of a can. The Star Can Company of San Francisco improved William Lyman's can opener in 1925 by adding a serrated edge to the wheel. An electric version of the same type of can opener was first sold in December of 1931.

GaryB
07-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Cool beans. My wife found that laying under a bush by the broken shot galsses in the one pic. I know they said that Treasure City had it's own glass company and that if you looked around you could find some odd old looking glass. We didn't snoop around much as we were cramming in two days worth and staying one step ahead of the weather. Next year for sure I am taking the walk down Eberhardt Tunnel!

GaryB
07-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Great shots GaryB ! Very professional looking. You and Rocky are my new "heroes". Thanks.:p

Ahhh shucks. It's amazing what a high dollar digital soul stealer can do for one's photo ineptness ;)

I decided I had to get my stuff uploaded to a pic site since I have so much and keep losing track. Now I have to start working on the discs I got laying around loaded with stuff. :o

Gravelrash
11-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Gary - it might be an old post, but I had to congratulate you on the series Belmont Mine & Mill (http://travel.webshots.com/album/552496077olNMtQ)
You really got the essence of the place. It was like being there.
That old winding house is fantastic. Belmont just moved way up the list - many thanks.

GS-RON
11-15-2007, 07:55 AM
Every year my Boss and a few of our friends and customers go through Belmont on dirtbikes. They stay at the Monitor Inn and really enjoy the place.

My question is where in relation to the town of Belmont is the Belmont mine and mill ???? I can find many pictures and such but no directions. Any help will be greatly appreciated..

Thanx RON

GaryB
11-15-2007, 09:05 AM
My question is where in relation to the town of Belmont is the Belmont mine and mill ???? I can find many pictures and such but no directions. Any help will be greatly appreciated..

Thanx RON

Well, to my knowledge, the two are not related in any way. (Another) Bob might have more idea if they are or not. The town had many mines around it to support it, while as the mine was closer to the town (GT) of Hamilton and was a stand alone operation.

They are about 200 or so miles apart, and in separate counties. If you took the road (SSR 82) north out of Belmont (the town) through Monitor Valley to US 50, then headed east toward Ely, NV on 50, past Eureka, NV, you'd see the sign for Belmont Mine.

It's actually closer to the mine out from Ely.

You could take numerous back roads from one to the other, and see some amazing terrain and sites, but it'd be a serious journey.

GaryB
11-15-2007, 09:11 AM
Gary - it might be an old post, but I had to congratulate you on the series Belmont Mine & Mill (http://travel.webshots.com/album/552496077olNMtQ)
You really got the essence of the place. It was like being there.
That old winding house is fantastic. Belmont just moved way up the list - many thanks.

Thanks. Belmont is one of my favorite mines. And even though it's some what easy to access, it's really in great shape. I've been there 3 times already and have yet to see everything. Especially since the mine and the mill are some 4 miles apart.

If you decide to hit the area, I'd recommend hitting Hamilton, Treasure City, Shermantown and Monte Cristo. All can be taken in during a long day or two if you leave time to explore. Depending on when you visit, I could either show you around or get you in touch with some folks in the area that would likely be willing to do the same.

GS-RON
11-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Well, to my knowledge, the two are not related in any way. (Another) Bob might have more idea if they are or not. The town had many mines around it to support it, while as the mine was closer to the town (GT) of Hamilton and was a stand alone operation.

They are about 200 or so miles apart, and in separate counties. If you took the road (SSR 82) north out of Belmont (the town) through Monitor Valley to US 50, then headed east toward Ely, NV on 50, past Eureka, NV, you'd see the sign for Belmont Mine.

It's actually closer to the mine out from Ely.

You could take numerous back roads from one to the other, and see some amazing terrain and sites, but it'd be a serious journey.

Thanx so much, looks like I need to plan an extra day for this trip. I hope to get out that way next spring.