PDA

View Full Version : FJ Cruisin in Ophir Canyon

one_bad_rover
07-26-2006, 02:22 PM
A day of fun out in a new FJ
http://www.goldrushexpeditions.com/FJ%20Cruisin%20in%20Ophir.htm (http://www.goldrushexpeditions.com/FJ%20Cruisin%20in%20Ophir.htm)

LauraA
07-26-2006, 02:59 PM
HOT DANG! Nice pictures! Now that the FJ Cruiser is all broken in, dusty & bounced around don't you want to donate it to a poor old retired lady living in squalor in the boonies of Arizona and driving a mere Wrangler? You don't even have to wash it first.
That's an awesome vehicle, it looks like it'll take you where you want to go in comfort and style.
Thanks for sharing, I can lose myself on your wonderful web site. :)

Goat
07-26-2006, 05:47 PM
OhNooo! My wife and I JUST picked up an '01 Cherokee last week, as a second vehicle, "In case visitors from out of town want to offroad with us". We were preparing to get an Fj (being loyal Toyota fans- with Tacoma TRD 4x4's as our last 2 vehicles), but decided to stick with our "buy a used 4x4 with low miles, and let the first buyer eat the depreciation" philosophy.

(Groan), Irony has once again taken a bite from my behind!

Nice pics, and they answered any remaining questions I had about the Fj!

Thanks,

Goat

NWNative
07-26-2006, 06:43 PM
So what about the Rover?

We had a Diso one for a couple of years. Great for off road. Unfortunately it was frequently off road - on the back of a tow truck. Dang thing broke more often than anything I've ever owned - and I've had some real crap! I sure loved driving it in the dirt though!

GaryB
07-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Needs some 33" Swampers :D

one_bad_rover
07-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Hey, the rovers are still kickin, havent had many problems with any of them to date, the daily driver is pushing 160k miles and shows no signs of stopping. However, I'll concede that if they arent maintained right from the start, they can be a total nightmare!!
THanks for all the kind words... and I believe that tires and lift are on the want list for the FJ. ;)

High Desert Drifter
07-27-2006, 01:48 PM
My wife wants one of those FJ's real bad! I was planning on purchasing an older Isuzu Trooper to build as an extra trail rig... that was until my wife saw one of those **** FJ's. Not that I am not a loyal toyota owner, we have a o4 Tacoma Dbl Cab 4x4. but come on now. a brand new FJ as a trail rig? I can see it now.... Honey, don't get too close to the bushes, you'll scratch the FJ... -SLAP-

GaryB
07-27-2006, 03:06 PM
I like them too, and would likely buy one if I was looking for a "moderate" trail capable rig.

Flatiron
07-27-2006, 07:15 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't care for the FJ a whole lot. I've haven't inspected one up close yet, but I suspect it couldn't hold a candle to the old FJ Land Cruisers. I also suspect most of the new FJ's will never see a dirt road in their lifetime, as they will be the new darling of the yuppee set, much like the H2 and H3 Hummers cruising around Scottsdale, AZ. Nope I'll stick with the Jeep for now.:D

Flatiron
07-31-2006, 07:30 PM
Update on FJ Cruiser..........Just saw a brand new one today, on the back of a tow truck. Sweet!

Vostok 7
08-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Flatiron,

Sorry but you're wrong. Most FJ owners are hardcore off-roading types. Sure, we have a fair share of people who wanted a Mall-Rated H2 or H3 but couldn't afford it, but most FJ owners I know love taking thiers off-road and getting it dirty and muddy. Including me. I only have 5000 miles on it and it's only been washed 3 times (and then only 'cause my wife made me) and is currently covered with scratches. It is DEFINITELY used how it was designed and it could DEFINITELY hold a candle to the old Land Crusiers.

- LC

bad bob
08-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Hah
The Cooper Mini puts all those 4wd wannbes to shame. Put a wench on the front (and I don't mean the female), and it'll pull all the FJs and others out of the snow or mud.

Put the other wench on the front and who cares who gets stuck.
bbb.

LauraA
08-01-2006, 04:11 PM
298 This winch errr wench will stick with the Old Peep's Jeep, it'll take us where we wanna go with little complaint. Her shiny red coat now sports some "Arizona Pinstripes" and she wears them proudly. :D

High Desert Drifter
08-01-2006, 07:11 PM
Laura,

your cracking me up! where do you get those outragous icon's?

Ps. I did the "Jeep Thing" Thats why I own a Toyota!

Flatiron
08-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Vostok7..........Maybe you have a group of FJ owners that like to use them off-road, but I still think you guys are in the minority. Do they come with lockers? Just curious ,being I've not inspected one up close yet...............:eek:

LauraA
08-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Laura,
your cracking me up! where do you get those outragous icon's?
Ps. I did the "Jeep Thing" Thats why I own a Toyota!

:::::looking around::::icons? what icons? 301

bad bob
08-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Drifter...
I asked her the same thing and she said she'd have to kill me if she told.
But if you were to go to her house while I waited outside in a ground rocket, she couldn't do the crime with a witness on the loose.
And if several regs went there, well....she'd need a Gatling gun, or grenade, or IED.
bb.

GaryB
08-01-2006, 09:19 PM
http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/realhappy/jump.gif

LauraA
08-02-2006, 04:38 AM
Drifter...
I asked her the same thing and she said she'd have to kill me if she told.
But if you were to go to her house while I waited outside in a ground rocket, she couldn't do the crime with a witness on the loose.
And if several regs went there, well....she'd need a Gatling gun, or grenade, or IED.
bb.

Moi? I'd never resort to violence ;)

Vostok 7
08-02-2006, 08:45 AM
Vostok7..........Maybe you have a group of FJ owners that like to use them off-road, but I still think you guys are in the minority. Do they come with lockers? Just curious ,being I've not inspected one up close yet...............:eek:

A rear e-locker is an option. The manuals have center lockers standard. A-TRAC works so well though you rarely need a locker.

- Patrick

modette
08-18-2006, 01:32 PM
I been looking at the new FJ, living in MI there is not much off-roading...but it is nice to have 4x4 in the winter (always funt o go shopping in a snow storm, stores are not crowded then)...lol

Right now I have a 04 Ford Explorer XLT (a lease) and will be out in NV, CA with it at the end of the month for a Ghost town trip (this time to NYE county)...plus going to DV, and Baja Mexico...lol Dec, the lease is up and I wanted to burn up the miles...lol Thats when I am thinking of a FJ cruiser (also looking at cars too).

Rattler
10-30-2006, 09:38 PM
Love the new FJs!! Nice pics too. I was contemplating on holding out for one but ended up with the '04 DoubleCab Tacoma below this past Jan. Its my 3rd Toyota truck.

The pic was from a run a couple weeks ago. It was supposed to be a Fall color tour but that color ended up being white thanks to 6"+ of the white stuff by Gaylord, MI.

Modette, you aren't far from a popular place to off-road, the Mounds north of Flint. There are a bunch of other spots too. Silver Lake Dunes is also great.

My Tacoma has already visited a few ghosttowns here in MI; Marlborough, Idlewild and Rockport(at least thats all I can think of right now). It will get some better rubber under it sometime plus a few other goodies.

I really like the FJ 4 Wheel & Offroad built. http://www.glfwda.org/forums/uploads/1161010652/gallery_358_105_103263.jpg

yamahamx
11-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Yeah having a good truck is a plus. I have to go with one of my friends if we want to go. He has got a 420 big block 4 wheel drive. Never have got stuck once. Gas milage is terrible though. The ghosts don't like the loudness of it. Cause its got dual cherry bombs. :p

LRDG
01-07-2007, 03:11 PM
I'm new to this site, but have been a Ghosttown chaser for over three decades, and I am now an opinionated old cus so take my posts with a smile and swig from your beer.
I had a 1971 FJ40 Landcruiser back in the 70's and I was greatly disappointed with Toyota for turning the Landcruiser into a Luxury unit over the years. And now the "FJCruiser" offering was nothing but a disappointment to hard core folks like me who have learned to appreciate a solid live axle up front and suspension articulation measured in feet, not inches (or millimeters).
Toyota lost the market to hard core sticklers like me when they dumped the solid front axle for IFS in their trucks back in 1986. They sold out to a softer ride and hiway mannners, and now we get hibrid 4x4's from them like the FJCruiser. But not too many people seem to care anymore.
I hope you FJCruiser folks enjoy your rigs. But as for me, I'll keep my Jeep.

See ya on the trail to that lost GT...

toehanus
01-07-2007, 07:13 PM
LRDG,

While I agree with you about the good 'ol sold axle vehicles, and hard core 4x4's, I hate to say it, but there just isn't a market for a mass produced basic off road vehicle. Hardly any sold axle vehilcles made anymore. However, the irony is that most atv's are going to independent suspension systems for better off-road capability. Strange.... Take care...hope to see you on the trails sometime.

toe

toehanus
01-07-2007, 07:15 PM
BTW, nice FJ folks. I don't care if it is independent suspension, that's a sweet lookin' ride.

toe

Rattler
01-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Well I'll get to see an FJ Cruiser in action off-road in a couple weeks. Autoweek magazine is bringing their long-term FJ on a trailride I am going on.:D

I would love to do a SAS to my Tacoma but its still well under warranty and it is my daily driver. The wife and I take on trips and I appreciate semi-decent handling after tradin-in a Subaru WRX on it.

Flatiron
01-08-2007, 04:05 AM
I'm with LRDG on this one. My personal feelings are that the FJ Cruiser looks like crap, and is marketed for the younger, more yuppified buyer who thinks it looks good, and really isn't buying one for off-road use. I also think Jeep is targeting those same buyers with the new 4-door Wrangler that tends to resemble an H3 Hummer, as far as I'm concerned. :mad: I know most of the time these vehicles are driven on paved roads, (including Jeeps) and the ride is important to those who have to use it as a daily driver and part-time off-road vehicle, but don't pump up the FJ Cruiser as being a hard core rock crawler. Just wax it up, armor-all your tires, and admit you bought it because you like the looks of it, and your friends will be impressed........:D

GaryB
01-08-2007, 05:26 AM
Everything is mall rated these days, even Jeeps. You have to buy a Rubicon just to get what was a factory standard 25 years ago. But like they say, a good 4X is built, not bought.

I like the new FJ look, as well as most of the newer retro'd look vehicles. But the idea of having a computer decide when I should or shouldn't be in 4X bothers me. Unfortunately that is just about every 4X out there now a days.

As far as an argument over independent over solid axle, I can go either way. I've taken my SII places where I've seen independent FJ's (yes I've seen a few new ones actually wheeled). Both have their place, I think. Then again finding the biggest rock and crawling it isn't a big past time for me.

xplor'npaul
02-15-2007, 08:10 AM
gotta tell ya, .. I drive a 97 isuzu rodeo......**** fine off road....... has 146k on it.............and still going strong...... would reccomend one to anyone looking for a second veh....... gas milage stinks tho................

one_bad_rover
03-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Dont knock it too hard until you drive it, while these are nice and luxurious inside, they are also extremely capable, rear locker along with the traction control makes the thing near unstoppable. The main benefit of the solid axle was that you always had one tire per axle on the ground, lock that axle and you could gain traction. Well, with the traction control, you are actually working better than a locker, instead of splitting the torque on an axle, the computer is pushing everything to the wheels that are not moving. Its like a smart locker that never needs to be messed with.
Articulation is nice but also not necessary much any more with the capabilities and skid plates and such, you can climb what you need to and not worry about getting in over your head because you have a tire thats a foot and a half below the frame of your truck.
Yeah, the old FJs are nice, and the jeeps, but the technology has progressed and not because it sucks, but because it works, it works well, and it works right out of the box with no upgrades needed.

Rattler
03-10-2007, 04:09 AM
A bunch of us Toyota guys here in MI did another run back in Jan. I talked a guy who is an offroader at Autoweek magazine into bringing their long-term FJ Cruiser along. The trails were anything extreme but it did quite well. His write up is here:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070205/BLOG06/70201001/1523/BLOG

I like them and I finally was able to sit in one. I am 6'5" and was quite comfortable in it. The only thing that I found weird was the distance of the windshield to the driving position.

I will pass on that awful yellow but that is personal taste.

Oh yea, they did put out an all-black TRD limited edition that is really cool.

Thermodyn
02-09-2008, 01:54 AM
FJ Cruisers are awesome. Nah, their looks aren't for everyone, but they are quality AND capable.

One day I'll buy one, but not enough room for the family, so for now I drive an 80. It's triple locked (F, R, & C) and does really well off highway considering it's weight. Toyota builds an uncommonly strong 4x4.

Rattler
02-09-2008, 07:43 AM
I just stopped by a local dealer here. He is supposed to let me know when they get one of the new white Trail Team s Special Editions in. :D

GaryB
02-09-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm glad I didn't get one.

Word is they have structural issues with the front end causing cracking and movement in the front end. Some have even had front fenders move back far enough to hit and damage the door and fender. It's not just people offroading either, I guess some street only guys have had issues too.

One local guy who goes out with our club is having this issue. Last word is there's no real fix yet, just lots of band aids.

I can dig up the links if anyone wants.

Rattler
02-09-2008, 09:58 AM

Please do. I haven't heard of anything like this with the FJ, only on the new Tundra.

I mentioned that Autoweek took one out on a run with a bunch of other Toyotas. The only thing Phil (the guy from Autoweek) said was a problem was the lack of an iPod interface and rear visibility.

GaryB
02-09-2008, 07:40 PM
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/33440-engine-bay-body-rips.html

Grab a drink and take your time. There's 2000+ posts.

Thermodyn
02-10-2008, 01:49 AM
I'm glad I didn't get one.

Word is they have structural issues with the front end causing cracking and movement in the front end. Some have even had front fenders move back far enough to hit and damage the door and fender. It's not just people offroading either, I guess some street only guys have had issues too.

One local guy who goes out with our club is having this issue. Last word is there's no real fix yet, just lots of band aids.

Yeah, I'd like to see the links if you don't mind. I'd like to pass them along to my brother who has an FJ Cruiser. One thing about Toyota is traditionally, if they have a problem, they own up to it and fix it.

Case in point is the 3.0L V6 head gasket recall. Toyota lost a lot of money on that issue, but to their credit they made sure their customers were taken care of.

Rattler
02-14-2008, 06:19 PM
I was bored at work and read through quite a bit of that thread. It sounded like the guys that were experiencing it were the offroad/high-flexers and the guys that like to go airborn.

I will have to agree about Toyota taking care of its customers with the 3.slow years ago. I am waiting to see how this gets handled. Smae with the Tundra issues.