PDA

View Full Version : How many prospect while GTing?

brian10x
07-26-2006, 02:42 PM
After seeing that picture of the gold nugget, I'm beginning to wonder if I should be poking around in the dirt as much as admiring the ruins above ground.

I was wondering how many of you actively prospect while visiting a ghost town?

Flatiron
07-26-2006, 08:29 PM
Just doing a little bumping.......:mad:

NWNative
07-26-2006, 09:27 PM
While on our honeymoon (10 day GT trip!) we picked up a couple of pans to try our hand at it. After being instructed by a well medicated and less than sober gentleman on the finer points of gold panning - we struck out.
So I suppose, no, no prospecting!

How do you know when you are in a location that you can? Or that it's legal to use a metal detector?
It would be my luck to hit the big one on someone else's property - or government land!

LauraA
07-27-2006, 10:28 AM
We metal detect but we're still trying to distinquish the difference between junk and treasure. As for prospecting, if it's shiny, I pick it up, but I won't get my hopes up again, just to have them dashed when my find isn't gold. (it's like winning the lottery and then losing the winning ticket) :(
When we use the metal detector, we do check to be sure it's legal, there are a lot of grey areas, but we haven't had any problems and a couple times have run into the local authorities just stopping by to say hello. Our local Tonto National Forest rangers are a great bunch, they'll even point out and show you promising places to go.

This site is pretty helpful in answering where and where not to metal detect.

Treasure Hunting and Metal Detecting Law Guide (http://www.treasurefish.com/government.htm)

GaryB
07-27-2006, 03:13 PM
I walk along and go "oh look at this cool rock" and that's about it. Though I do have some ore samples that have some interesting deposits in them......

caver
08-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Easy gag to pull on your buddies while checking out a mining site.
Pick up some pretty or unusual looking rock. Hand it to your most gullible friend as if it is something interesting. If they ask what it is, say Leverite. You may have to ask them if they know what it is. Pause as they will look at you for clarification. This is when you say,,,,, "just Leave-r-right there when your done". Corny as **** gag but most people fall for it.

Those guys on the Gold Fever show make it look real easy.

GaryB
08-06-2006, 12:33 PM
That reminds me of a good pyrite embedded in quartz specimen I found by Ely, NV. I took it in and showed to our warehouse clerk and told her to go buy herself a new car. She thought it was real gold till I reminded her that if it was, my white butt wouldn't have been seen working there anymore ;)

modette
08-18-2006, 02:56 PM
This year I am borrowing two Metal Detectors from my father...so this is kinda like prospecting...lol

I used to go all the time growing up (my father is really big into it)...we found so much living in Europe for 4 years, maybe I will get lucky and find a few gold coins or the pot of gold someone buried in their yard *shrug*

modette
08-18-2006, 03:02 PM
We metal detect but we're still trying to distinquish the difference between junk and treasure. When we use the metal detector, we do check to be sure it's legal, there are a lot of grey areas, but we haven't had any problems and a couple times have run into the local authorities just stopping by to say hello. Our local Tonto National Forest rangers are a great bunch, they'll even point out and show you promising places to go.

Maybe I am spoiled but don't your detectors tell you if it is Gold, Silver, Copper, or even Trash...of course it is not always right and knowing the history of the area first helps knowing if the "trash" signal is worth the "dig" or not. Metal detecting around castles you want to dig those trash singles up...LOL

Of course Metal Detecting you know the basic rule right!!! "Always fill in your holes".

LauraA
08-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Maybe I am spoiled but don't your detectors tell you if it is Gold, Silver, Copper, or even Trash...of course it is not always right and knowing the history of the area first helps knowing if the "trash" signal is worth the "dig" or not. Metal detecting around castles you want to dig those trash singles up...LOL

Of course Metal Detecting you know the basic rule right!!! "Always fill in your holes".

Our metal detector came with a 300 page book explaining how to use it, judge what the signals mean and how to distinguish between a beer tab and a diamond ring. After reading the book, we're still digging up those diamond rings...'cept they're all made of aluminum. :confused:

modette
08-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Our metal detector came with a 300 page book explaining how to use it, judge what the signals mean and how to distinguish between a beer tab and a diamond ring. After reading the book, we're still digging up those diamond rings...'cept they're all made of aluminum. :confused:

LOL I guess I am spoiled...
This is what one of them is: http://www.garrett.com/hobby/products/gtpspecsheet.htm

I believe the other "newer one" is this brand:
http://www.whiteselectronics.com/dfxw.php

Note both are now from the Mid 90's...but a good detector really does not get old...I see the pricing is the same as the early-mid 90's too.

I never saw a 300 page book with a metal detector...lol Pop it out of the box charge the battiers and away you go. Of course there is things to learn like not to go to fast swinging it, do not wear steel toed shoes and stuff like that.

LauraA
08-18-2006, 04:19 PM
We've got the White EFX, purchased in 2002. The book was given to us by the sporting goods store we bought it from in lieu of classes which they also offered, but our schedules conflicted, so we thought the book would suffice. If you can tell the difference between a beer tab and a diamond ring, you've certainly got more experience than we do. We're still having fun with it though, and the digging and kneeling is good exercise. :rolleyes: