PDA

View Full Version : A reminder for flash flood prone areas

ghost_town_huntress
07-30-2006, 10:25 PM
We had a tragedy happen near some local ghost towns here in Utah today (Consumer's Canyon). There was some major flash flooding and it washed a 1980's Bronco off the road, inside was a family of five. The parents got out alright, but the kids went with the Bronco. The Bronco tipped over and ejected the kids, and rescuers found two of the kids and lifeflighted them in critical condition, but therescue mission turned to a recovery mission for the one year old, and as of right now, they still haven't found the baby. Just wanted to remind everyone out there ghost towning of possible flash flooding.

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

ghost_town_huntress
07-30-2006, 10:29 PM
And I will be going up to Consumer's Canyon where this happened to survey the damage to the road (some of it was washed out) and the ghost towns (there wasn't much of them left anyway) as soon as it dries up and is safe.

OnlyBackRoads
07-31-2006, 07:08 PM
Rachel--Have you heard anything about a ghost town rally again this year? Summer? Fall? Never?:(
Thanks, Dave

HollyDolly
08-01-2006, 08:25 AM
:eek: I'm sorry to hear about that poor family.You,flash flooding can happen even in cities.
There are various parts of San Antonio were there are low water crossings of creeks like Salado,leon and others.Always when we have heavy rains here you see on the news about people getting caught and having to be rescued.
By the way,the city will charge you for the rescue.

LauraA
08-01-2006, 04:43 PM
With the recent heavy rains, it pays to be safe. Although the weather was cooler after the rain, we decided not to risk any backroad adventures at this time. After being cooped up for so long, it was tempting though!
Below is a sad story which was posted on The Arizona Virtual Jeep Club Forum, some of the local members knew the people involved. It happened in Colorado, kinda shows no matter how careful one is while out yonder ... when it's your time .....:(

http://www.ouraynews.com/default.asp... (http://www.ouraynews.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=1&twindow=&mad=&sdetail=2265&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=1144&hn=ouraynews&he=.com)

ghost_town_huntress
08-03-2006, 09:51 AM
A couple days after the recent flash flood in Consumer's Canyon, in Utah, my house was hit by a tornado. It is completely demolished; gone. Luckily we all made it out ok, no injuries, even the animals. Wow, so I don't think I'll be ghost towning for a while, although I'm still trying to do everything I can to get to the Rally next month, just for a little weekend to get away from the stresses of cleaning up and rebuilding our house and our lives. Please keep us in your prayers.

Cecile
08-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Oh, my! I am very sorry to hear that! You are definitely in my prayers!

LauraA
08-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Rachel, so sorry to hear about your loss. Thank goodness there were no injuries! You and yours' are definitely in my thoughts.

Johnnie
08-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Rachel, so sorry to hear about your loss. Thank goodness there were no injuries! You and yours' are definitely in my thoughts.

We also want to let Rachel,and her family that they are in our thoughts also.

Sheila and Johnnie

old judge
08-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Sometimes us Okies forget that tornadoes are not just limited in their destruction to Tornado Alley. When one of my sons reported his encounter with a tornado in Salt Lake City, when he lived there a few years back, I thought he must have carried some loco weed with him out there. (After all, where would he get it in SLC with all my wife's good Mormon relatives watching.) But sure enough. Best wishes to you, Rachel, and to others who will take some time to recover. OJ

LauraA
08-26-2006, 11:02 AM
;) bump :rolleyes:

Also, while I'm here...Rachel, how are things going with you and your family now?

ghost_town_huntress
08-28-2006, 12:17 AM
Thanks to everyone for your well wishes and prayers. We are all doing well, though my mother in law's house is awfully crowded with three kids, four adults, three big dogs, five cats, two birds, a rabbit and a guinea pig, LOL. We are suing the homeowner's insurance company for claiming that our insurance was cancelled back in June when in fact it was not. We're either going to settle out of court for twice the policy amount, or if the insurance company wants to drag it out, we'll be getting 10x the policy amount, which will be well over a million dollars. So things are looking up. And I get a brand new house with my dream kitchen! I'll keep updating on the situation. Thanks!

LauraA
08-28-2006, 05:59 AM
Rachel, I'm green with envy over your prospect of a "dream kitchen" but you sure went about it the hard way! ;)
I'm happy that things are beginning to look up for you and your family. Good luck in your dealings with the insurance company. :)