PDA

View Full Version : Jeffrey City, WY

Kawfeegod
08-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Does anyone know the current status of Jeffrey City, WY? I am very interested in these future ghost towns and was thinking of planning a trip that direction in the near future.

MikeC
09-08-2006, 03:51 PM
I was there in late May and think there are a few families still living there. The Split Rock Bar was open and the beer was cold.

MikeC

LauraA
09-09-2006, 03:56 AM
bumping right along....:rolleyes:

Flatiron
09-09-2006, 03:59 AM
Laura beat me to it. ;)

JuneNY
09-14-2006, 01:38 PM
I visited Jeffrey City a couple of weeks ago, I don't even have my pictures developed yet. Its still there and still mostly empty. The bar was open, with a few trucks in front of it. Its eerie. Lots of abandoned buildings, and you can go into some of them. For sure, its a modern day ghost town.

I visited a few other ghost towns in Wyoming, and the two that impressed me the most were Piedmont and Miners Delight/Hamilton City which I first learned about on ghosttowns.com

You need to get permission from the owner of Piedmont if you want to get off the public road and roam around the private property that the Piedmont buildings are on. We didn't have any problems getting permission, and thoroughly enjoyed exploring the old town and its buildings. One side of the road is fenced off, so we couldn't get near or into the buildings. The other side is not fenced off.

The BLM has propped up buildings in Miners Delight but they have not destroyed any of the authenticity It was fun to explore, there are lots of buildings to see.

If you have time for an overnight, Atlantic City is a great place to stay. Its kind of a revived ghost town, and there are some interesting old buildings. The restaurant at
The Atlantic City Mercantile is great! They have two bedroom A-frames available at a reasonable price, nothing fancy.

Also, South Pass City is a restored ghost town, which has some interesting buildings, but a place like this is not as much as the places like Piedmont, Jeffrey City and Miners Delight.