PDA

View Full Version : ? For the gun folks

GaryB
08-05-2006, 10:19 AM
I guess this could be a poll too, but in your opinion, who makes the best firing replica revolvers from the late 1800's (think old Western) ?

I have been looking to get a .45 to mostly plink with, but want one that is both a well functioning fire arm and yet closely resembles those of that era.

I have looked at Guns America and they have quite a few, and I like the look of these ones: http://www.iar-arms.com/model1873.htm

Just wondering if anyone else has the same thing and uses it enough to pass judgment?

Goat
08-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Gary, I don't know much about the ones that you have pictured, but I can recommend the Ruger single actions. I worked with my dad at his gun shop (til he passed away in '97) for a lot of years, and have sold/shot most of the Ruger line-up. The Vaquero's and the Blackhawk's are both strong guns, and are available in different finishes, calibers, barrel lengths, sight combo's etc. The Blackhawk's are relatively inexpensive (I think there's a gun show coming up here soon), and very strong. Might fit the bill!

Goat

brian10x
08-05-2006, 05:38 PM
I guess this could be a poll too, but in your opinion, who makes the best firing replica revolvers from the late 1800's (think old Western) ?

I have been looking to get a .45 to mostly plink with, but want one that is both a well functioning fire arm and yet closely resembles those of that era.

I have looked at Guns America and they have quite a few, and I like the look of these ones: http://www.iar-arms.com/model1873.htm

Just wondering if anyone else has the same thing and uses it enough to pass judgment?

I think you mean non-firing buddy. I wish I could be of some help, but I only know about the ones that throw lead.
Sometimes, the prices of really good replicas approach the cost of a good used (real) gun. Have you thought about using a real gun and keeping it unloaded?

brian10x
08-05-2006, 05:41 PM
Gary, I don't know much about the ones that you have pictured, but I can recommend the Ruger single actions. I worked with my dad at his gun shop (til he passed away in '97) for a lot of years, and have sold/shot most of the Ruger line-up. The Vaquero's and the Blackhawk's are both strong guns, and are available in different finishes, calibers, barrel lengths, sight combo's etc. The Blackhawk's are relatively inexpensive (I think there's a gun show coming up here soon), and very strong. Might fit the bill!

Goat

Ditto that. Ruger single-actions are pretty cheap and nearly indestuctible. A lot of re-enactors use them including the shows in Tombstone and elsewhere here in Arizona.

GaryB
08-06-2006, 10:20 AM
I think you mean non-firing buddy. I wish I could be of some help, but I only know about the ones that throw lead.
Sometimes, the prices of really good replicas approach the cost of a good used (real) gun. Have you thought about using a real gun and keeping it unloaded?

No, I want that slings lead, but one that resembles the original Colt's and such. I think I'd enjoy that more than a Sig .40 any day :D

You can buy the real ones all day long if you got a few grand to spend, but buying an authentic that I would be afraid to shoot and possibly damage would seem like a waste IMO. I like to collect guns, but I also like having them be usable too.

GaryB
08-06-2006, 10:27 AM
There are importers that bring in mostly Italian made replicas, (Taylors, Cimarron) that are very authentic to the old Colt single action army, (SAA)..................... TW

Thanks, that's type of info I was looking for. My Dad has a Colt .22 Mag six shot that is from the 60's and a real hoot to plink with, and it resembles the old .45 Colts except in size. I'm sure once I have one that I like, I can have it tinkered with if need be, it's just finding one out of the box that is decent to start with that had me wondering.

I honestly didn't know Ruger was making new single actions that resemble the originals. I have a Ruger .22 and like it, so maybe I'll check into them some more.

Thanks guys.

LauraA
08-06-2006, 11:23 AM
The testosterone level on this topic is enough to give me hives :rolleyes: but here's my contribution to the subject.:p

Cimarron Firearms - Old West Guns and Cowboy Action Shooting Firearms (http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/)

Popular Mechanics - New Cowboy Guns Of The Old West (http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/firearms/1277316.html)

GaryB
08-06-2006, 12:47 PM
The testosterone level on this topic is enough to give me hives :rolleyes: but here's my contribution to the subject.:p

(http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/firearms/1277316.html)

Actually, in searching for Colt SAA's, I came across the CAS Society (Cowboy Action Shooter) and found not only that there are 4 clubs in my own town, but that there are numerous women and children competing across the country.

Revolvers are also more recommended for personal protection for women and gun novices as they are more simplistic in design which leads to easier maintenance as opposed to automatics. They also tend to not jamb on you at the wrong time ;)

LauraA
08-06-2006, 04:46 PM
I'm also a firm believer that "forewarned is forearmed" although, I'm not "into" guns so to speak, I carry a 25 cal Colt in my fanny pack when we're on the trail and we also have some Italian made something or other 44 in the Jeep. Traveling the backroads up here, one never knows when one will inadvertently stumble upon someone's well guarded pot field. We're also lucky enough to have a wacked-out, cult type group of survivalists who have taken over an old ranch up in the mountains. I'd hate to come upon one of these black-clad, gun-toting, extremists without being armed.

brian10x
08-06-2006, 05:36 PM
I'm also a firm believer that "forewarned is forearmed" although, I'm not "into" guns so to speak, I carry a 25 cal Colt in my fanny pack when we're on the trail and we also have some Italian made something or other 44 in the Jeep. Traveling the backroads up here, one never knows when one will inadvertently stumble upon someone's well guarded pot field. We're also lucky enough to have a wacked-out, cult type group of survivalists who have taken over an old ranch up in the mountains. I'd hate to come upon one of these black-clad, gun-toting, extremists without being armed.

I thought all pot growers were hippie, tree-hugging save the whales liberal anti-gun zealots. I guess I could be wrong.

LauraA
08-06-2006, 08:00 PM
I thought all pot growers were hippie, tree-hugging save the whales liberal anti-gun zealots. I guess I could be wrong.

The pot growers are a different group. Allegedly, the survivalists are members of some neo-pthooey group headquartered in Georgia and as far as I know, even the Forest Service won't mess with them. I'm reasonably sure some branch of government must be aware of them. (maybe that s'plains the black helicopters we see occasionally around here)

I hug trees, adore whales but I'm well-armed when I do

GaryB
08-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Allegedly, the survivalists are members of some neo-pthooey group headquartered in Georgia and as far as I know,

Do they all have the same last name and same haircut?

LauraA
08-07-2006, 03:05 AM
Do they all have the same last name and same haircut?

LOL Gary! if you listen closely on a still night, you can hear the sound of dueling banjos wafting on the summer breeze. :D

brian10x
08-07-2006, 04:21 AM
LOL Gary! if you listen closely on a still night, you can hear the sound of dueling banjos wafting on the summer breeze. :D
Fortunately, Bill Ruger will make sure no one asks me to "squeal like a pig".

coolguy0621
08-07-2006, 08:53 AM
What ever you do get a .44 mag the most powerfull hand gun in the world that will take your head clean off........you just got to ask your self one question........

old judge
08-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Brian...From what little I've seen and heard, I don't think you're in much danger. Now if you were GTin' in Texas ................OJ

GaryB
08-07-2006, 04:51 PM
What ever you do get a .44 mag the most powerfull hand gun in the world that will take your head clean off........you just got to ask your self one question........

You missed the part about firing 5 or 6 shots......well do ya'?

Only problem is a .44 Mag didn't exist back then (frontier days), and it'll never be the most powerful handgun. Still a cool movie though ;)

brian10x
08-07-2006, 06:04 PM

Only problem is a .44 Mag didn't exist back then (frontier days), and it'll never be the most powerful handgun. Still a cool movie though ;)

They had a .44 caliber black powder Dragoon that would put the hurtin' to ya real good, though.

Me, I'm saving up for a new S&W .50. Not for the timid or recoil sensitive.

Goat
08-07-2006, 06:26 PM
The .50 S&W is OK for smaller, less dangerous game, but this round is much better for exploring dangerous places. Just the ticket for ghosts.:D
http://www.chuckhawks.com/825_magnum.htm

GaryB
08-07-2006, 07:33 PM
The .50 S&W is OK for smaller, less dangerous game, but this round is much better for exploring dangerous places. Just the ticket for ghosts.:D

Holy crap! Why not just shoot a Volkswagon at them :eek:

GaryB
08-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Me, I'm saving up for a new S&W .50. Not for the timid or recoil sensitive.

Me, I'd like a 82A-1. I think Andy (coolguy) could tell you why too :)

brian10x
08-08-2006, 04:23 AM

Great article! And you though I was good at bullsitting!

coolguy0621
08-08-2006, 08:29 AM
OMG!!!!!!!!! that's like shooting a bus at someone, at 8$ a round

LauraA
08-08-2006, 08:53 AM

from the above site;
"We feel that any experienced handgunner with hair on his or her chest should be able to handle that level of recoil energy without complaint. After all, recoil is what puts the kick in shooting!"

:eek: No hair on my chest (that I'd admit to) but wouldn't this thing be able to stop rampaging elephants? The anticipation of such a recoil would be enough to throw my aim way off.

coolguy0621
08-08-2006, 01:07 PM

Yeah but in the hands of THE MAN HIMSELF it sure is/was , you know i'm right.......:mad:

well do ya..............punk?:eek:

Goat
08-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Great article! And you though I was good at bullsitting!

LOL! Brian, you have no idea how long I've been waiting to drop that spoof article in a post. I just had to wait 'til I found a guy with a sense of humor to do it.

Ya made my day!

Goat

brian10x
08-08-2006, 05:57 PM
from the above site;
"We feel that any experienced handgunner with hair on his or her chest should be able to handle that level of recoil energy without complaint. After all, recoil is what puts the kick in shooting!"

:eek: No hair on my chest (that I'd admit to) but wouldn't this thing be able to stop rampaging elephants? The anticipation of such a recoil would be enough to throw my aim way off.
You know the post is bs, right? By law. .50 is the largest diameter allowed in a non-antique pistol or rifle.

LauraA
08-08-2006, 06:11 PM
You know the post is bs, right? By law. .50 is the largest diameter allowed in a non-antique pistol or rifle.

Heck no, I didn't know...whatda expect from a Yankee transplant? :o heh heh heh now that I DO know, I'm gonna pull this one on my hubby. :D
LOL Thanks for the ammo Goat (pun intended)

GaryB
08-08-2006, 06:51 PM
By law. .50 is the largest diameter allowed in a non-antique pistol or rifle.

I didn't know that, but I knew the article had to be a hoax after reading the part about shooting deer with a .357 and them getting up and walking away unhurt because they were becoming more and more invincible :D

coolguy0621
08-19-2006, 08:16 AM
I have a question that probably dosen't belong here but I thought someone here would know where to look. A friend of mine in AZ just got a Barrenger looking .45 cal, that only fires 410 shells. It looks old, well it is old, and we wanted to find out some history on what time frame this gun was produced, and even more so any history about this gun it's self by checking the serial# maybe. I gave up hope after spending two hours on google and a couple others last night. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

old judge
08-19-2006, 09:14 AM
Coolguy.... Sounds like you found another Barrenger lookin' 45, chambered to fire the .410, produced late 1800's and early l900's. Fine gun. Never fired it with a 3 in. shell. I'm still lookin' too. Old Judge;)

old judge
08-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Just kidding..... Google ".45 pistol fires .410"......see what you get. OJ

Goat
08-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Hey Andy, what's the name on it? Any other markings? I was in the business for a long time, maybe I can help.

Goat

coolguy0621
08-19-2006, 02:50 PM
I will be home from work in a few and i'll post what I have written down.

I do rember Ducktown, Tn is stamped on the barrel, and the name starts with a C. I'll be back within an hour......thanks in advance guys!!!!!

coolguy0621
08-19-2006, 03:42 PM
ok it's a Cobray modle DB .45 cal from Ducktown, TN. and there is a serial # too.

I am looking for info. like dates it was possably made and if there is any way to track the actual serial # that's what I'm really looking for, so I can possably track where it has been. The gun it's self looks like it's from the early 1900's or late 1800's just like OJ said. I hope I can find something out.....thanks again for any help you guys can shoot my way!!!

Goat
08-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Andy, the name "Ducktown" shot a little spark off in the dark recesses of the old memory bank, so I did a little research.

Ducktown refers to Ducktown, Tenn., and the company that made your derringer went under a few different names (FMJ, Leinad, etc...) and was made in either assembled or kit form. The company also apparently made both smokeless and black powder versions of some of their guns.

The scary thing about them is that a lot of them were put together by bozo's with no gunsmithing tools/knowledge, and seriously could cause some serious damage (yep I'm SERIOUS enough to use the word 3 times in one sentence) to the poor soul that fires it.

That leads us to the little spark that set "Ducktown" off in my head. It was marketed by a company called Cobray. Cobray is a company that produced such "stellar" firearms as the M10 (Mac 10) and StreetSweeper, whose arrival on the firearms scene brought about a lot of anti gun sentiment and legislation. This company has always been in a grey area of the market that finds loopholes in gun laws to try to stay one step ahead of the Federales. Basically, Cobray is synonymous with gang banging and other criminal stuff.

As an aside, (and I hesitate to say this) it probably also shoots .45 Long Colt (not .45 ACP, that the Government model pistols shoot).

My advice is: Don't shoot it. If you do, and you can still see, hear, and don't have a bloody stump for a shooting hand- then consider yourself lucky, and don't shoot it again. Melt it down, or toss it in the open ocean where noone will find it, society will thank you.

Sorry to be a downer, but I don't want anyone to get hurt.

Goat

Goat
08-19-2006, 04:17 PM
Sorry, I was posting my last one when you replied about Cobray. It was made in the 1980's or 1990's. Not an antique. A lot of them didn't have serial #'s, so it probably wasn't a kit gun or a black powder, but either way, my advice is the same.

Goat

GaryB
08-19-2006, 11:37 PM
Hey Andy, what's the name on it? Any other markings? I was in the business for a long time, maybe I can help.

Goat

You wouldn't still be in the biz or know someone (reputable) that is do you? Might soon have some old guns needing some TLC so I can make sure the lead comes out the right end.

brian10x
08-20-2006, 05:35 AM
I have a question that probably dosen't belong here but I thought someone here would know where to look. A friend of mine in AZ just got a Barrenger looking .45 cal, that only fires 410 shells. It looks old, well it is old, and we wanted to find out some history on what time frame this gun was produced, and even more so any history about this gun it's self by checking the serial# maybe. I gave up hope after spending two hours on google and a couple others last night. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Click on this link. This guy really knows his antique guns. If he dosen't, then try some of his links.
http://armchairgunshow.com/

Also try this:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/identify.html

coolguy0621
08-20-2006, 07:46 AM
Thanks Goat, but I'm sure they are going to fire it. And if it did have a serial # maybe it was assembled at a factory???

And that sucks that you say that it was made in the 1990's-1980's. I did see all the sites with the mac-10's and foldable stock weapons, the type of stuff i see in shotgun news all the time. Dam it, I was hoping to find some history. Anyway I just have to keep looking a bit, this is ******* me off that it's a possably a fake!

And does anyone know if there is a place where a civilian can run a serial # check on a firearm??? Or can anyone confirm that a civilian cannot do that????

coolguy0621
08-20-2006, 07:53 AM
Me, I'd like a 82A-1. I think Andy (coolguy) could tell you why too :)

Sorry I just saw this post, 82A1 is a .50 cal long rifle, a barrett. They can hit targets at like 1700 yards. We used it to disable cars at range because the round will punch into the block. Some times when we got up to the car it was messy. Once that round hit a window it peppers the whole cab with steele fragments and messes with the pressure too. Also is has so much force behind it, if it misses you but passes by pretty close it can dislocate your arm or your neck. Sucks carrying it tho:mad: :mad: :mad:

Goat
08-20-2006, 08:38 AM
Gary, I'm not in the business anymore. I do still have some connections, but none are local. What I do have is knowledge, resourcefulness, and patience(things that are seriously lacking in our local dealers), that, and some basic tools and ingenuity should get some old guns firing safely again!

The problem with the gun business today is that, dealers try to fit you and your needs to meet the criteria of a gun, instead of the other way around. Basic skills aren't taken into account, and the customer is often doomed to buyers remorse- or worse yet, a parrot for a particular brand, or model that may be remarkable only for it's advertizing/media hype, and fueled by a press that is pocketing money from the company/corporations involved.

Basically; "Congratulations, fella! You've just bought Paris Hilton, hope she fits in with your lifestyle! Good luck...)

Sorry for the rant...but post some more info or pm me if you'd like some help.

Goat

coolguy0621
08-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Hey Goat, I just wanted to say thanks again man, if I can return the favor I will.

Goat
08-20-2006, 11:23 AM
Not a prob, let me know if I can help with anything else.

Goat

GaryB
08-20-2006, 03:35 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean Goat. My uncle passed away a year ago and I sorted out his gun collection for my Aunt so she knew what was who's. He had a few of his dad's guns and his sister wanted them, things like that. What his son (my cousin) don't want, is up for grabs for the rest of us family (namely me it seems) and he has a few I'd like to have (M1, a Springfield, .22 HP, etc) but would like them to be operable if possible.

When it all gets sorted out, I'll let you know. A trained eye is better than nothing, and you can likely tell me what really needs to be handled how.

Goat
08-20-2006, 04:19 PM
No prob, Gary. It took me a couple years to sort out my dad's stuff after he died. Just give a yell when you need me.

Goat

brian10x
08-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Gary, I'm not in the business anymore. I do still have some connections, but none are local. What I do have is knowledge, resourcefulness, and patience(things that are seriously lacking in our local dealers), that, and some basic tools and ingenuity should get some old guns firing safely again!

The problem with the gun business today is that, dealers try to fit you and your needs to meet the criteria of a gun, instead of the other way around. Basic skills aren't taken into account, and the customer is often doomed to buyers remorse- or worse yet, a parrot for a particular brand, or model that may be remarkable only for it's advertizing/media hype, and fueled by a press that is pocketing money from the company/corporations involved.

Basically; "Congratulations, fella! You've just bought Paris Hilton, hope she fits in with your lifestyle! Good luck...)

Sorry for the rant...but post some more info or pm me if you'd like some help.

Goat

As a casual gun collector for over 10 years, I'll agree with you 100%. I used to teach a firearms safety course, and I was often appalled at the guns some dealers recommended for these "newbees". Whatever had the highest markup, or the flavor of the month, of what ever was on the cover of "Guns and Ammo" last month seemed to be the trend.

I like any gun that does what it was designed to do well, from aniques to Glocks.

Goat
08-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Yeah Brian, the thing that bothers me most is how they sell firearms to newbs and women. They always sell them the exact opposite of what they need. I think they're are a condescending bunch of asshats, at best. I'm sure there are exceptions, but too few for my taste.

Guns should be reliable, and accurate and powerful enough for their intended purpose. That's about all of my criteria in one sentence.

Goat

Oh yeah, don't get me started about the "experts" behind the counter- or their cronies that hang around the store- or worse yet the demon spawn that write for the magazines- I've seen 'em at the range.

:eek: ...but I digress...

brian10x
08-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Yeah Brian, the thing that bothers me most is how they sell firearms to newbs and women. They always sell them the exact opposite of what they need. I think they're are a condescending bunch of asshats, at best. I'm sure there are exceptions, but too few for my taste.

Guns should be reliable, and accurate and powerful enough for their intended purpose. That's about all of my criteria in one sentence.

Goat

Oh yeah, don't get me started about the "experts" behind the counter- or their cronies that hang around the store- or worse yet the demon spawn that write for the magazines- I've seen 'em at the range.

:eek: ...but I digress...

The things I've heard the "experts" say!

"This is the clip for the Glock"

"Those guns will melt if you leave them on your dash"

"A .38 won't stop nobody"

"Smith and Wesson use aluminum barrels"

"Revolvers are obsolete"

"You never need to clean it"

"It was taken off a Nazi officer"

"Its too powerful for a woman"

".45s are no good anymore. Thats why they invented (fill in the blank)"

You know, whenever some new whiz-bang super-light mega-capacity CAD-designed approved by the Navy SEALs gun comes out, I go out to the gun safe, fondle my (modern copy of) .45 Colt revolver for a while, grab its sister with sequential serial number, load both, and marvel at just how terribly under-armed they were 100 years ago. (Yes, I'm joking!)

Staying on the ghost town theme, you know, with a pair of .45s (or 44-40s) , a Henry and a short scattergun, you could be one hellofa deadly SOB in any era!

GaryB
08-20-2006, 10:45 PM
I'll take a revolver over an auto any day. Seen too many auto's jamb (most likely from bad maintenance) and I'd hate to have one jamb at the wrong time. I have yet to see a revolver jamb, though it may happen, just not as likely FME. And with practice, you can fire a six shooter just as fast as an auto. But then again, it don't mean poop if you can't hit the target ;) Maybe that's why so many people carry auto's with large mag counts; with ten rounds you might just hit something.

And anybody that thinks a .45 is worthless has never been on the receiving end of one ;)

Side note: My dad used to hunt deer with a .22 LR till they came up with hunting regulations. So I can careless how big a round some one needs. Then again he used a ball peen hammer to hunt rabbits as a kid too :D

DRIFTWOOD CHARLEY
08-20-2006, 11:40 PM
My personal protection is a .45 ACP. My favorite firearm is the Barretta Model 70. But my backup is the old standard 357 SW revolver. I am licensed and own everything from a B.A.R. early model, Thompsons, and the usuals, AK's and AR's. I work in the film industry and have to be up to date.
My wife's is the Redhawk .44 mag, but she's tougher than me.
A revolver can trim it's round out the side if it's loose and hurt someone. An auto is the best thing going but have a backup. Yes the revolver is the backup of choice.

Flatiron
08-21-2006, 05:12 AM
I too, had my FFL for a few years, but never had a storefront. Most of the time, I used my license for the purpose of being able to buy and take home weapons from gun shows/etc. in states that had such restrictions. I was living in Montana at the time, and decided to not renew my license when I was told I had to be finger-printed, allow access to my inventory , records, and safes at any time of day or night , and notify local authorities that I was licensed. I'm sure their whole purpose for this was to regulate the dealers/collectors a little more and rid the system of small guys like me who could supply low lifes with weapons if they choose to do so. I've spent a few hours in gun shops and watched the so-called "experts" behind the counter hand out false information to unsuspecting customers who seem to be looking for the most macho gun or largest caliber handgun available on the market. Most of the public is uninformed on whats best for them and their needs, but the "experts" are usually uninformed as well. I carry a revolver, by choice, with one empty hole in the hot spot, and prefer that over the semi-autos anyday. If I can't drop whatever I'm shooting at with 5 rounds, than I'm in deep ca-ca. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.........:D

coolguy0621
08-21-2006, 07:03 AM
I think my next cal is going to be a .40 cal, with a 5" barrel. I like the stopping power and range. I'm a good shot with a pistol, but no where near some of the guys I've seen shoot. I've never really messed around with revolvers too much. Yeah yeah, key the pepsi gen jokes. One thing I will say about the reloading factor is that you don't always have one target, or two for that matter. And even know I'm an ok shot with a pistol, I like having mulitple mag's at my finger tips ya know. I would also like to get a pre-ban M4 carbine ( my machine in the service) but since I'm in this wonderful state I've given up hope some time ago. I wonder if there legal in Oregon?

Does anyone know a good web site to get bulk ammo, at decent prices??? And yes I'll gladly pay more for some good clean powder too, but no re-loads!!!

Also DOES ANYONE KNOW IF I CAN RUN A SERIAL # CHECK ON A FIREARM??? AND IF SO HOW CAN I GO ABOUT IT??? I still want to check this barrenger out if I can, i've been told it's probably a fake, but I still want to see if there is any history behind it.

Goat
08-21-2006, 04:30 PM
Andy, you can call your local sheriff's dept. or police dept., or possibly you can do it through a local gun dealer. Problem is, you most likely will have to register it. Also, if it is a stolen weapon, you will probably have to answer a lot of questions about it, and forfeit it as well. It's not really as cut and dried as a car sale/registration. As you know, Cali is a tough state for gun ownership, but your results may vary.

As far as ammo/components are concerned, I've used midwayusa.com for a long time. They've always done good by me.

In the handgun department, I like both auto-loaders and revolvers. Both have their merits and shortcomings. Like I said before, I usually carry my Beretta 70s in .22lr with 3 clips, but thats because it's light, and the only concern I have in most places I have visited is the possibility of an aggressive snake (despite popular gun magazine lore, I don't need snake shot for a snake), but that's pretty unlikely. It's more likely to get used as a signal that I've found something and can't reach you on walkie-talkie.

In my opinion, handguns (with a few exceptions) are tools, and they should hold up to the abuse (sweat, dirt, slides, weather, etc.) that the desert dishes out in spades. They should be properly maintained and cared for, but reliability should not be a concern. That said, if I had to pick one handgun for what I do (taking into account every place I've been to, and all of it's critters in the area), I would choose a S&W Model 66 in .357 with a 4 inch barrel, possibly with a trigger/action job. There's other guns that would do a better job in certain conditions, but for a widespread application, that'd be my choice. (Just my observation on places I've been, your results WILL vary!)

Goat

coolguy0621
08-22-2006, 06:43 AM
Hey thanks again goat, I checked out that site and they have alot of selection.

And I have heard alot about .357, I've heard that it will punch out of like 6 car doors and lodge in the 7th? I should get over myself and get me a revolver already. Yep just another excuse to get even more armed to the teeth, now the question is how am I going to afford it. The only time I've played with revolvers was when I was getting my carry permit for L.A. county, and in the two days I was there I got pretty good with a speed loader. They make those for every Cal right? Anyway I know it's possable to re-load quick with 'em.

old judge
08-22-2006, 08:00 AM
I use a model 66 in .357 myself. I bought it with a 6 inch barrel cause I fantasize about someday using it for deer hunting. I particularly like it because of the option of firing .38 ammunition. OJ

Vulture
08-22-2006, 09:32 AM
Good Thread,
I found my perfect field gun in the Taurus 627 total titanium in 357 w/ 4" barrel. Light weight, good round, high cap (7), fits fine in my 40 year old beat up hunter holster.

Happy shootin'

Goat
08-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Welcome aboard Vulture. I was seriously looking into the Taurus too, but the problem is, they are really scarce in these parts. I've got a few questions for you, if you don't mind. How does the action feel? Is it smooth and light, like a S&W K frame? Does it feel/balance ok with the larger diameter cylinder (I've got visions of a .44 cylinder in a .357 frame?)? How do you feel about the porting, does it work well? Sorry bout all the questions Vulture, but you're the first person that I've come across that has first hand knowledge of the titanium Taurus!

OJ- Yep, your 66 will make a good deer gun. I've had a lot of good fortune handgun hunting in OK. I lived there from '77-'84, and I've got a couple of cousins (Creek boys, of course) that hunt and fish full time there.

Andy bro, I was just talkin about what's right for ME with the .357. I like it because it shoots flat, it's powerful enough for what I need, doesn't kick much, it shoots .38 spl, and in my opinion, the S&W K frames just seem to have physical properties that make them balance and point naturally for my hand. Their actions and lock up are great right out of the box, and can be worked to perfection by a good smithy. The only downside for me is that there is something about its bark that my ears find particularly annoying. The only other round that has that pitch for me is the .22-250.

As far as going through car doors, I know that it'll penetrate the heavy part of an old school bus (pre-1950's era) door at 10 yards, but that's about all I know about the door subject.

Like anything else, you're only gonna shoot something well if you like it, and shoot it a lot. Don't be surprised if your new gun doesn't shoot as well as you thought it would. It generally takes an auto-loader 500 or so rounds for it to "seat" in and be comfortable with itself. Then it's time to buy some different loads/ bullet weights to see what it likes to shoot best. It's also a good idea to shoot FMJ loads through it during the break in period, too, as this can smooth out any burrs in the bore- it's kind of like honing it.

Goat

GaryB
08-22-2006, 04:57 PM
With the right loading, you can put just about anything through a car door, especially if it's a Saturn :p

I don't hate autos per say, just maybe not into the romance of them as much as others may be. In a fire fight (battle scenario), I'll take an auto every time. But I rarely get into those, so a revolver suits me just fine ;) Besides, nothing gets a person's attention as fast as starring down the big dark hole of a .45 ACP :D Intimidation really helps at resolving issues.

Vulture
08-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Welcome aboard Vulture. I was seriously looking into the Taurus too, but the problem is, they are really scarce in these parts. I've got a few questions for you, if you don't mind. How does the action feel? Is it smooth and light, like a S&W K frame? Does it feel/balance ok with the larger diameter cylinder (I've got visions of a .44 cylinder in a .357 frame?)? How do you feel about the porting, does it work well? Sorry bout all the questions Vulture, but you're the first person that I've come across that has first hand knowledge of the titanium Taurus!

Like anything else, you're only gonna shoot something well if you like it, and shoot it a lot.

Goat

Howdy Goat,
lively little site you got here, lots going on. Thanks for the welcome aboard, being an old dogface I didn't hear that much.

As to the Taurus, I like the gun a lot. In the Taurus catalogue it's a "compact" frame. Not sure how this mesures up to the S&W standard. In the manuel there are no cautions about limiting full power loads. I have put about 800 rounds through mine without a hitch, about 200 were 38spl.

It kicks more than my Blackhawk, but not bad. The "ribber" grips & the porting seem to soak it up pretty well.
I could shoot this all day with no problem.
I think the cylander size is the same as for the 6 shot.

Single action trigger is crisp, comparable to S&W's I have shot, not quite as smooth. Double action is heavier, loads up at the end so you really need to use it to get used to it. I have not fired this gun with aftermarket springs though I think this may be an improvement.

I say this is a great gun in all respects right out of the box.

It can be improved for probobly $100 by a good smithy.

I am happy with mine as is, & I've had Colts, S&W's & Dan Wessons.

Vulture

Goat
08-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks, Vulture. Good info!

Goat

coolguy0621
08-30-2006, 11:11 AM
Hey Goat got a question for ya,

By chance would you know about the gun laws for Oregon? I know that Cali. is the worst, but all I really want to know is can I own an semi-auto or maybe a burst capable M4??? and do they allow 30 rnd mags??

Goat
08-30-2006, 03:05 PM
Andy, Ill do a little research and see what I can come up with.

Goat

GaryB
08-30-2006, 06:14 PM

By chance would you know about the gun laws for Oregon? I know that Cali. is the worst, but all I really want to know is can I own an semi-auto or maybe a burst capable M4??? and do they allow 30 rnd mags??

Wait a minute. Land in Oregon. M4's with expanded clips. You starting a cult? I hear there's an opening in Colorado City, AZ :cool:

tucson_tumbleweed
08-30-2006, 06:21 PM

http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=OR

tucson_tumbleweed
08-30-2006, 06:22 PM
Wait a minute. Land in Oregon. M4's with expanded clips. You starting a cult? I hear there's an opening in Colorado City, AZ :cool:

In Arizona we call them magazines, pard'.

Goat
08-30-2006, 06:29 PM
This should answer some of your questions: http://nraila.org/GunLaws/# Remember though, there are also variances according to county, city, jurisdiction, etc.

BTW, burst capable firearms are class III firearms (machine guns), and are a whole 'nother can of worms!

Goat

coolguy0621
08-31-2006, 05:22 AM
Thanks guys, that's a lot of info.

And no cult Gary, I just want some land to hunt off of, or at least to stay on close to where I want to go hunting. Only thing that worries me is that I won't be living there and I don't want my stuff stolen when I'm in Cali. That is if I even get into this afterall. I've been throwing around some numbers, and a cabin could be quite pricey.

GaryB
08-31-2006, 10:33 AM
But trailers are cheap. I see lots all the time with a little old tag along trailer plopped on them. Mostly sheep herders, but also hunters retreats. If you get land near someone else, I'm sure they'd watch it for you.

Find a cheap trailer, tow it up there, post a bunch of "Deliverance" signs around and don't leave anything too valuable in it and you're set. Take with you what you need when you go to vacation. That's what I'm going to do if I find a nice chunk of land I like. Of course, I'm not looking so far North either, so I can get there more often.

Now, why do you need a semi-auto M4 & 30 clip to hunt with? Yep, I still think it's a cult :p

coolguy0621
08-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Why you ask, because that was my machine in the Marine Corps
I got so tuned into the rifle it's not even funny. I was able to do some do some amazing things with that thing. And now I can't own one because of the state I'm in. I'm not stuck on getting one just yet, but it would be a good idea to research where I'm thinking about buying some land ya know.

GaryB
08-31-2006, 06:03 PM
I think you'll find most of the West, say except for the People's Replublic are pretty laid back. You can legally buy semi-auto M4's here all day long if you got the money.

Me, I'm more of a one shot-one kill from far away kind of guy. Though if General Electric, Dillon or the G'men ever wanted to just give me a M134, I'd guess I'd take it :rolleyes:

Flatiron
09-01-2006, 03:23 AM
Just doing a little bumping.:D

Vulture
09-02-2006, 03:04 PM
In Arizona we call them magazines, pard'.

This is nit-picking I think. When I was in (Army) they were called clips, no matter where you were from. Magazines had pictures of movie stars & whisky bottles in them.

Say Pard (Tucson Tumb), what branch were you in? If you don't mind me asking.

Vulture

tucson_tumbleweed
09-02-2006, 06:51 PM
This is nit-picking I think. When I was in (Army) they were called clips, no matter where you were from. Magazines had pictures of movie stars & whisky bottles in them.

Say Pard (Tucson Tumb), what branch were you in? If you don't mind me asking.

Vulture

I was never in the service. Yeah, all my buddies in the service called em' c***s. I was just a born gun nut, thats all.

And them things you load into guns ain't' bullets, either. Thems ammuntition.

I learned everthing from Col. Jeff Copper and the NRA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper_(colonel)

Goat
09-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Cooper's the guy that said (something to the effect of) A man is not a man until he is proven in battle. He's also a HUGE force behind the popularity of the 1911 and it's variants.

Goat

Vulture
09-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Goat or anybody, I have been getting interested in 1911's lately.
My last semi auto was a CZ-75, I never warmed up to it much & traded it off. Didn't like the 9mm cartridge.

Whats your 2cents on the current batch of 1911 "varients" in 45acp? Everybody & his brother seems to get imports & do theit own tune up to them & its a "custom". Do you know of one thats just better good raw material than say a Colt 1991?

Vulture

GaryB
09-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Well, I'm likely going to go with a Ruger, I like the look and they are similar enough to fulfill what I wanted. And are cheap enough I could get 2 :D
Right now the money I was going to use is being used to fund my *cough* vacation *cough* from employment until I start a new job. So I'll have to save my pennies again :rolleyes:

Of course there is Christmas....

Goat
10-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Vulture, sorry I missed these posts. I'm not really up on the 1911 and it's clones, as I've never found that they "fit" me well. Far and away my favorite .45 autoloader is the Sig P220, as it is accurate, reliable, the trigger is predictable, and nearly unbreakable. To me, guns are really just tools (with a few exceptions, family heirlooms, etc.), and lead a pretty utilitarian life with me. The only Colt autoloader that I really liked was the 10mm- they shot well, were powerful, and accurate. You did have to make sure that you took care of the mags and cleaned them well, or feeding problems surely followed. Sorry I couldn't help you much.

Gary, I went to the Vegas gun show last month. It was about 75% military style weapons, 15% Cowboy stuff, and about 20 or so double action revolvers- I bought a S&W Model 15, it shoots well, and the wife likes to shoot it, but not as much as her SP-101. There were plenty of Ruger S/A's there- I'd get a used one, as it's cheaper, and most guys just don't shoot their guns much, and get rid of them when they need money. Just my dos pesos, amigo's!

Goat

GaryB
10-10-2006, 11:08 PM
Gary, I went to the Vegas gun show last month. It was about 75% military style weapons, 15% Cowboy stuff, and about 20 or so double action revolvers- I bought a S&W Model 15, it shoots well, and the wife likes to shoot it, but not as much as her SP-101. There were plenty of Ruger S/A's there- I'd get a used one, as it's cheaper, and most guys just don't shoot their guns much, and get rid of them when they need money. Just my dos pesos, amigo's!

Goat

Se.

form filler

45-70Ranger
10-27-2006, 01:39 PM

Hello GaryB. !
I have both, the Ruger NMBH,and an Uberti 1873 Cattleman in 45 Colt.
The Uberti NM, is a close copy of the 1873 Colt. I've clocked my loads to 1003.5 FPS,with 255gr bullets. Also did loads in BP/substitute.
Sling lead ?Yes they will ! And are light to carry all day,without dragging you down. It is still an 1873 design.
And, yes, you can hunt with it.
See ya !