PDA

View Full Version : brian10x RIP (nearly) looking for BD

brian10x
08-05-2006, 05:16 PM
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Well, these pictures cannot come close to showing the predicament I got myself into.

In my eternal quest (now in the re-evaluation stage) to find the BD, I ramrodded the trusty Kawasaki up the backside of the Dragoon mountains, hoping to sneak down and ambush the ghosts at BD from behind.

Picking my lines carefully, I was making good progress, football-sized rocks giving way beneath my tires as I inched closer to the peak.

Then I hit a soft spot where my right rear dug in, and the entire front of the ATV started doing a wheelie, nearly toppling over backwards.

The pictures look terribly tame by comparison, as I was inconsiderate enough to dismount and back the ATV to safety (walking along side of it) and wait until my hands stopped shaking to take these pictures. At the time, the front end was pointed to the sky and a sheer drop off was right over my right shoulder.

So, no, today, I did not locate the Black Diamond mine. Fug it. They can keep the dang thing.:mad: :mad: :confused:

brian10x
08-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Not wanting my trip to be a total waste, I took a side trail to locate a lesser mine.

I was making good progress until I encountered a washed-out section of trail. I have found out these ATVs are great on trails EXCEPT the rider (ME) makes the vehicle exceptionaly top-heavy and very prone to tipping. (see last post!)

There just wasn't a good line to follow, and the dirt was really soft from recent rains. Ok, butthead, so what to do now?

Backing down would have been begging for disaster, so I had to find a way to turn it around. Well, this time, the right front went airborn. Two times in one day. The only way was to dismount and turn the beast an inch or two at a time forwards then back, until it was pointing downhill. It took nearly 30 minutes and a gallon of sweat, as I was in constant fear that I would either run the machine over the berm and into a bottomless drop, or run myself over trying to move this thing while dismounted.
Again, the picture is taken after my hands stopped shaking and I was fairly certain it wasn't going to topple over on top of me. Now I know why they say never go out alone.

At least I found this cool cyanide tank (?) I think. Whoopee.

One ATV for sale. Slight brown stain on the seat. best offer.
:mad: :mad: :confused:

LauraA
08-05-2006, 05:33 PM
Oh my goodness Brian! I know, you know what a lucky puppy you are to not have rolled that thing!:eek: Are you trying to blaze a trail to the Black Diamond? I don't see a road in those pictures...and don't forget, if you do try again to find it, if there's a rancher running any cattle, more likely that not, there will be barbed wire fencing blocking an assault from the sides and rear of your destination.
I know you say right now that you're not going back, but maybe after your stomach knots untie and you can pry the remainder of your butt off the seat of the ATV, you'll try again. What about the "conventional" method... talking to the rancher?
Glad you made it back safely, rattled, but all in one piece.

brian10x
08-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Oh my goodness Brian! I know, you know what a lucky puppy you are to not have rolled that thing!:eek: Are you trying to blaze a trail to the Black Diamond? I don't see a road in those pictures...and don't forget, if you do try again to find it, if there's a rancher running any cattle, more likely that not, there will be barbed wire fencing blocking an assault from the sides and rear of your destination.
I know you say right now that you're not going back, but maybe after your stomach knots untie and you can pry the remainder of your butt off the seat of the ATV, you'll try again. What about the "conventional" method... talking to the rancher?
Glad you made it back safely, rattled, but all in one piece.
Thanks for the kind words, Laura. The "ranch" was little more than a small wharehouse and a few sheds. I couldn't find anyone around to ask, OR an address on the place for further research.

I wish I had one of those ultralight planes, so I could see this place from above.

I'm starting to re-think this ATV thing. My trucks were too large for the trails, the VW didn't have 4WD, and I'm not certain my Jeep would have made it. I DO NOT like the idea of an ATV landing on top of me. either. A Wrangler like yours is probably the best bet, but I once drove a Suzuki Samurai (not made anymore, thank you Consumer Reports:mad: ) and the darn thing was unstoppable. If it wasn't for having to pass emissions here, I'd buy an old one and yank the emissions crap and make it a four-wheeled mountain goat.

LauraA
08-05-2006, 06:01 PM
We've often thought the same thing, wish we could see an overhead view of the area we're trying to reach. If it's the same thing down your way, satellite imagery doesn't get close enough to discern the kind of information you're looking for. We've even thought about walking in, but later realized when we approached the destination that it would have been at least a couple of miles...uphill :eek:
As for making it in the Wrangler, dang, it sure gets tippy in that thing and tipping toward a 300 ft drop-off isn't my idea of fun.

ummm are you aware that the "Black Diamond" (the gem) carries a curse on it? Hope the curse didn't get confused and transfer itself to your mine! :rolleyes:

Diamond Vues: Black Diamond With A Curse. (http://www.diamondvues.com/archives/2005/09/black_diamond_w.html)

NWNative
08-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Are you sure that this thing wants to be found?
Maybe you have got your own little Gravity Hill/Gates of **** thing going on there!

brian10x
08-06-2006, 01:33 AM
Are you sure that this thing wants to be found?
Maybe you have got your own little Gravity Hill/Gates of **** thing going on there!

I think you are right. As the old saying goes, you got to know when to cut the cheese and give up, or something like that.

Besides, the darn mine is probably haunted, anyway.

LauraA
08-06-2006, 03:28 AM
I think you are right. As the old saying goes, you got to know when to cut the cheese and give up, or something like that.

"A man's delight in looking forward to and hoping for some particular satisfaction is a part of the pleasure flowing out of it, enjoyed in advance."
Arthur Schopenhauer 1788 - 1860

brian10x
08-06-2006, 05:09 AM
"A man's delight in looking forward to and hoping for some particular satisfaction is a part of the pleasure flowing out of it, enjoyed in advance."
Or as us tough guys would say: "Its not the kill, its the thrill of the chase"

On to the Mystery mine.
(Thanks for the tip)
See listing under Gleeson-
http://www.mindat.org/lsearch.php?tloc=Dragoon%20Mts,%20Cochise%20Co.,%2 0Arizona,%20USA

GaryB
08-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Too bad Tuscon is so far away, I'd wonder down there and help you out :o

LauraA
08-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Or as us tough guys would say: "Its not the kill, its the thrill of the chase"

On to the Mystery mine.
(Thanks for the tip)
See listing under Gleeson-

The rest of the quote reads...

"A man's delight in looking forward to and hoping for some particular satisfaction is a part of the pleasure flowing out of it, enjoyed in advance. But this is afterward deducted, for the more we look forward to anything the less we enjoy it when it comes."

I didn't want to put the rest of the quote in my earlier post, it sounded like such a downer, but if you're dusting yourself off and moving on to The Mystery Mine, then it seems more appropriate. ;)

GaryB
08-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Yes, it would be a downer if after all this work you found it was a collapsed shaft with no remains to be seen.

LauraA
08-07-2006, 03:38 AM
Brian, have you got any details on the Mystery Tunnel Mine? I looked at the information on mindat.org page but I was wondering about how the mine got its name and what's the mystery? With a name like that, it sounds spooky :eek: The Silver Bill Mine actually connects to the Mystery Tunnel Mine, so it appears to be an excellent destination. (as long as there aren't any locked gates) :mad:
I see too that some Wulfenite (http://www.mindat.org/min-4322.html) has been found there, it's really pretty stuff if you find a good specimen. I've seen a pendant made from it, even left in its natural state, it's quite nice.
.......if you do go and you find it, you really shouldn't venture in unless you tell someone where you're going, or better yet, take someone with you AND let someone know where you are. You don't want Sausage to be an orphan do you? :(

LauraA
08-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Brian, are you going to wait to get another vehicle, or are you going to try to get to the Mystery Tunnel Mine with the ATV?

brian10x
08-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Brian, are you going to wait to get another vehicle, or are you going to try to get to the Mystery Tunnel Mine with the ATV?
For an old fat guy, I get a lot done, and fast.

The ATV went on EBay last weekend, and I'll have it sold Sunday.

Tomarrow, I'm looking at a Suzuki Samurai. I've driven one before, and was truly impressed. Easily the most nimble, agile, manuverable 4x4 I've ever driven. Of course, I'll be back with dealing with passing emissions on an old, carbureted vehicle, which I'm none to fond of.

But my mind is made up, and thats that.

LauraA
08-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Good for you! Congrats on your Ebay sale, that was fast. Please keep us posted on the Sami, we've seen plenty of them on the trails and they seem to do great. :)

Watt Noise
08-16-2006, 09:21 PM
I wish I had one of those ultralight planes, so I could see this place from above.
Wow - haven't been on here in awhile and just got caught up on all the BD search fiasco threads... Brian, I do aerial photography/video with an electric model airplane/digital camera combination... We can probably find the place(s) and/or hidden trails real easily with it... Heck - I've documented wagon tracks in the desert with this set up...

If you haven't seen my stuff before there's aerial photos posted on GT and this is my website WattNoise.com (http://WattNoise.com).

Kevin

Watt Noise
08-16-2006, 09:41 PM
I should mention since my website discusses prices that I am offering this gratis... GT's, Indian ruins, old military forts are part of the research I do at the museum I work at so this could just be part of that... I retain rights to my photos or videos though... ;)

Kevin

coolguy0621
08-17-2006, 07:47 AM
I just read this entire thread for the first time.

Brian - don't quit. it'll be so much better when you do find it. That is one thing I enjoy alot about exploring, when you find what seems to be lost forever, it's a great feeling. You sound really comitted to finding this just by the amount of posts I see. Just don't kill your self doing it man. Good luck, and maybe it's time to try another angle, like some reading or something

brian10x
08-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Wow - haven't been on here in awhile and just got caught up on all the BD search fiasco threads... Brian, I do aerial photography/video with an electric model airplane/digital camera combination... We can probably find the place(s) and/or hidden trails real easily with it... Heck - I've documented wagon tracks in the desert with this set up...

If you haven't seen my stuff before there's aerial photos posted on GT and this is my website WattNoise.com (http://WattNoise.com).

Kevin
I've seen your stuff. I love your stuff, and I would be in ghost town heaven if you were to do some aerial photography of the area. If you need to sell the photos to pay expenses, we can talk about that as well.

brian10x
08-17-2006, 02:58 PM
I just read this entire thread for the first time.

Brian - don't quit. it'll be so much better when you do find it. That is one thing I enjoy alot about exploring, when you find what seems to be lost forever, it's a great feeling. You sound really comitted to finding this just by the amount of posts I see. Just don't kill your self doing it man. Good luck, and maybe it's time to try another angle, like some reading or something
I'm giving myself a short "cooling off" period while I seach for the easy meat, like the so called "Mystery Mine" that Laura sent me.

Watt Noise
08-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Let's do it... I understand the feeling of "cooling off" right now... I'm just getting done with mine and that's why I was back getting caught up... When you're ready, PM me and we'll set up a day to go... My schedule is pretty flexible... No need to buy the photos unless you got someone other than you that would want them...

Kevin

brian10x
08-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Let's do it... I understand the feeling of "cooling off" right now... I'm just getting done with mine and that's why I was back getting caught up... When you're ready, PM me and we'll set up a day to go... My schedule is pretty flexible... No need to buy the photos unless you got someone other than you that would want them...

Kevin

Yabba dabba doooo!!! You got a deal!:) :) :D

LauraA
08-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Yabba dabba doooo!!! You got a deal!:) :) :D

Wow!! that sounds so cool!! Please keep us pictured/posted each step of the way. We've all been cheering you on Brian, now maybe you'll finally find your Black Diamond!

jessmetts
08-27-2006, 11:14 AM
I'e been to that tank...that road almost made me tip too. Now I'm getting pretty frustrated with these mines...

tucson_tumbleweed
08-27-2006, 12:50 PM
I'e been to that tank...that road almost made me tip too. Now I'm getting pretty frustrated with these mines...

Back in the old days we used to take horses to places like that. They got old-fashioned self-leveling suspension that works real good. Too bad its too expensive to keep them now.

Best thing is when they get too old you can eat em'.

Gravelrash
11-11-2007, 09:26 PM
http://www.mindat.org/lsearch.php?tloc=Dragoon%20Mts,%20Cochise%20Co.,%2 0Arizona,%20USA

Brian - that site is "a gem". Many thanks!

Gravelrash
11-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Back in the old days we used to take horses to places like that. They got old-fashioned self-leveling suspension that works real good. Too bad its too expensive to keep them now.

Best thing is when they get too old you can eat em'.

Now THAT makes a lot of sense! If OPEC keeps on the way they are, horses will make a huge comeback. I'll take a burro!

(This was a great thread. How did it all pan out, Brian? Ever make it up to BD?)

brian10x
11-12-2007, 04:12 AM
Now THAT makes a lot of sense! If OPEC keeps on the way they are, horses will make a huge comeback. I'll take a burro!

(This was a great thread. How did it all pan out, Brian? Ever make it up to BD?)

I decided it was just too dangerous to go alone.

Gravelrash
11-12-2007, 04:28 AM
Yeah, I suppose the near tip-over would leave you with that feeling. I guess I was using up my bit of "luck of the Irish" when I used to explore outback NSW. I reckon probably 75% of my excursions were solo, but nothing really dramatic ever happened. The occasional bogs and flat tires, one really dumb "out of gas" but nothing that I ever thought would kill me.
I've been pouring over a lot of old threads again tonight - one of the "polls" you started. How much water do you take? Do you eat? Do you tresspass? That one (which I really enjoyed, btw)

"Ever have any bad experiences" was ....illuminating!
As was "Ever seen anything illegal?" :D

High Desert Drifter
11-13-2007, 10:57 PM
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Well, these pictures cannot come close to showing the predicament I got myself into.

In my eternal quest (now in the re-evaluation stage) to find the BD, I ramrodded the trusty Kawasaki up the backside of the Dragoon mountains, hoping to sneak down and ambush the ghosts at BD from behind.

Picking my lines carefully, I was making good progress, football-sized rocks giving way beneath my tires as I inched closer to the peak.

Then I hit a soft spot where my right rear dug in, and the entire front of the ATV started doing a wheelie, nearly toppling over backwards.

The pictures look terribly tame by comparison, as I was inconsiderate enough to dismount and back the ATV to safety (walking along side of it) and wait until my hands stopped shaking to take these pictures. At the time, the front end was pointed to the sky and a sheer drop off was right over my right shoulder.

So, no, today, I did not locate the Black Diamond mine. Fug it. They can keep the dang thing.:mad: :mad: :confused:

Wow! This is the first time I was able to get around and look at the pictures of your machine. what year was your quad? I noticed it had a straight rear axle? they don't make them like that anymore. it must have been a real bumpy ride up that trail. Most quads now have independent rear suspension with a lot more wheel travel. and more bite - traction at the wheels. Not to mention a locker. I'm sure your ride up to the mine would have been a lot more comfortable, stable and rewarding if you had a better machine... sorry it didn't work out for you.

brian10x
11-14-2007, 04:27 AM
[I've been pouring over a lot of old threads again tonight - one of the "polls" you started. How much water do you take? Do you eat? Do you tresspass? That one (which I really enjoyed, btw)

I always take at least a gallon of water, plus lots of "flavored" water, sports drinks, almost anything non-alchoholic.
Sometimes I eat, sometimes not. I always bring healthy snacks. I'm too **** fat, so a little starvation won't kill me.
I trespass somtimes, but usually, if the sign says keep out, I keep out.

brian10x
11-14-2007, 04:42 AM
Wow! This is the first time I was able to get around and look at the pictures of your machine. what year was your quad? I noticed it had a straight rear axle? they don't make them like that anymore. it must have been a real bumpy ride up that trail. Most quads now have independent rear suspension with a lot more wheel travel. and more bite - traction at the wheels. Not to mention a locker. I'm sure your ride up to the mine would have been a lot more comfortable, stable and rewarding if you had a better machine... sorry it didn't work out for you.
If memory serves me, it was a brand new Kawasaki Brute Force 650. I got a smoking deal, as it was the last year of the straight axle, and everyone wanted the new model with independant suspension.

I hindsight, I'm wondering if I should have just walked along side as I eased into the throttle, on the really "tippy" areas.

speedy
11-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Nice ride, Brian

Gravelrash
11-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Whoa..... nice looking mine Brian. Where?
http://forums.ghosttowns.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1202&d=1195044155

I hope you are making a list of all the places I've said "Whoa".
You know I'll ask for a guide.
#1 on my list.... border "activity" :eek: I wanna see if I can match your groupings.

brian10x
11-15-2007, 04:31 AM
Whoa..... nice looking mine Brian. Where?
http://forums.ghosttowns.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1202&d=1195044155

I hope you are making a list of all the places I've said "Whoa".
You know I'll ask for a guide.
#1 on my list.... border "activity" :eek: I wanna see if I can match your groupings.
That mine was located just off the back trail to Black Diamond.

Someday I'd love to go back, but due to the danger involved, it would have to be with a "buddy".

Another one I need to investigate is the Tres Amigos. Yes, I have a thread on that one too.

Also, if I had a backup, I would delve deeper into the Old Glory mine road (I claim her as one of my sucessful runs) which gets real scary without a spotter.

I tried enlisting my Sausage as spotter, but there is somewhat of a communications gap. That , and of course the fact he has the brain the size of a mature walnut.

High Desert Drifter
11-15-2007, 07:55 PM
Interesting looking dog Brian. What breed is he/she? I'm looking for a new family dog and decided I did not want quite a full size or a mini.. I need a dog worthy enough of running along side the quad, or riding on the back. and one that will guard the camp site at night while I catch my beauty sleep!

bad bob
11-15-2007, 10:05 PM
Interesting looking dog Brian. What breed is he/she? I'm looking for a new family dog and decided I did not want quite a full size or a mini.. I need a dog worthy enough of running along side the quad, or riding on the back. and one that will guard the camp site at night while I catch my beauty sleep!

LOL Drifter...maybe Pete can bring you a dingo, when he gets here in a few months! :D
Heard they're a hardy breed.

brian10x
11-16-2007, 05:37 AM
Sausage came from the Humane Society so there is little information on him.

He is a Chihuahua mixed with something else.

They say he is a rare color. They call it brindle. I try not to use that word much because for some reason it makes me want to eat him when I say it.

Sausage is a little brownish dog. Thats it.

Now Daisy, she's a completely different story.