PDA

View Full Version : Looking for great western Arizona ghost towns

Tazman
08-06-2006, 08:30 AM
Hello all, I'm new to this site and have a question. I'll be vacationing in Arizona next week and would love to visit some ghost towns. I'll be visiting Phoenix, Kingman, Flagstaff and Page. If anyone knows of any worth while ghost towns in these areas, please let me know. One town that I'm planning on visiting is Vulture Mine near Wickenburg. I'm an avid ghost town hunter from Ontario and have visited at least 20 towns in Ontario but none of them are true ghost towns and this will be my first visit of American ghost towns and look forward to it.

Ghosttowns.com
08-06-2006, 10:45 AM
In Az what you can visit really depends on what type of vehicle you have - what will you be driving?

Tazman
08-06-2006, 05:23 PM
I'll be driving a car - impala.

Ghosttowns.com
08-06-2006, 08:29 PM
Unfortunately you would have to stick to the tourist ones then - like Vulture City by Wickenburg, Jerome up by Prescott etc... You could make Crown King in an Impala but if you are not used to really bumpy roads many people dont like it... but it would make it there for sure.

GaryB
08-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Is it a rental or your own, because you know those rental Impalas have the 4X option ;)

just kidding, but Chloride City is not far from Kingman and there some other spots along the way to see. Not necessarily abandoned, but lot's of history. Also you should be able to drive to the "murals" outside of Chloride City, those are quite interesting.

Tazman
08-07-2006, 02:56 PM
Thanks Gary. I thought of visiting Chloride, but wasn't sure if there would be much to see. I will also visit Jerome since I'll be in the Sedona area. I guess that should satisfy my needs. I wish where I live (Ontario) our government would make an effort to preserve some of our ghost towns by making them a historical site. It's ashame to see them get vandalized and many generations of history just disappear. If I was on a two-week vacation, I would love to visit Bodie State Park in California, now that's a preserved ghost town.

brian10x
08-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks Gary. I thought of visiting Chloride, but wasn't sure if there would be much to see. I will also visit Jerome since I'll be in the Sedona area. I guess that should satisfy my needs. I wish where I live (Ontario) our government would make an effort to preserve some of our ghost towns by making them a historical site. It's ashame to see them get vandalized and many generations of history just disappear. If I was on a two-week vacation, I would love to visit Bodie State Park in California, now that's a preserved ghost town.

If I remember right, there is a side street leading to a working mine off of the main drag in Jerome. There is a huge collection of old mining trucks and antique cars, as well as a steam engine and working stamp mill.
I hope I'm right and this isn't just a peyote flashback
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Tazman
08-07-2006, 03:52 PM
I believe you are right. I'm pretty sure I've read that also in some book about Arizona. I've seen many pictures of mining remnants and cars.