PDA

View Full Version : Places to see around Hawthorne NV

yellowvwthing
08-08-2006, 07:27 AM
I am going to be in Hawthorne NV and was looking for some new interesting sites to check out. I have been to Aurora and Bodie. I am looking for something more remote. Distance and road condition not a factor. Even some good hot springs would be cool.
Thanks

High Desert Drifter
08-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Elbow Stage Station, Masonic, abandoned ranches on the Mono Basin, Benton, Lundy, Borealis Mine near lucky boy pass, the sweetwater mountains has a lot of old mine sites, Pine Grove, Rockland. Too much to list when considering exploring around Hawthorne. quick and easy way about it would be to go grab yourself the Nevada Atlas Gazetter from a local book store. most of these sites are listed in it and show roads / trails to them. Once you have the map book, start looking through some of the internet sites for history and pictures and decide which ones you want to visit.

Eric Mayer
08-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Go to the "Sump" in Fish Lake Valley if you have a 4-Wheel drive vehicle. It isn't a ghost town, but it is an awesome place to visit.

Pick-up a Rock Hounder's guide for Nevada and it should show how to get there.

Eric A. Mayer :cool:

GaryB
08-09-2006, 09:02 PM
I haven't been there, (The Sump) but have seen pics and it's on my list of to do someday. Supposed to be good for jasper and petrified wood as it is an ancient forest bed. The book "Rockhounding Nevada" is one that lists it.

Flatiron
08-10-2006, 03:30 AM
There's a hot springs near the East Walker not too far from the Elbow, but I can't tell you how to get there. You may find it on one of the local maps, but I've never been there as I'm not much for hot springs. There's a whole bunch of hot springs in Long Valley, but it's a little longer ride. Good luck.

Johnnie
08-10-2006, 06:17 AM
I am going to be in Hawthorne NV and was looking for some new interesting sites to check out. I have been to Aurora and Bodie. I am looking for something more remote. Distance and road condition not a factor. Even some good hot springs would be cool.
Thanks

We were on our way back to Calif. in the spring of 79 and we were pulling our 27ft. travel trailer and about 5 miles south of town of Hawthorne, We heard a bang, I just had time to pull onto the shoulder before we came to a screeching halt.

It was almost dark so we felt a little uneasy we had our C B and were just to call in on channel "9" when a Nevada H P just happened to drive by and stop to help.

Ok! this is the kicker, I told him that i just ready to call in on channel "9" for help and thanks for stopping we told the officer. and he said that you are luckie you didn't, looking at him kind of puzzled I ask why do say that?

And here is what he told us that there was a group thives in the local moutains that monitered channel "9" for people who left their cars, trucks, trailers, ect. to go get help and strip the vechicles clean, sometimes only leaving a shell.

The Patrolman also said that they were doing it for about 6 months months and they couldn't catch the thieves up till then.

What a close call that was. the patrolman, called a tow truck, and they pulled us back to Hawtrone, and we had to spend the night.

But the the guy that towed us in made a U bolt from scratch because there was no store that stocked that kind of a bolt in whole town.

By noon we were on the road again trying to get over the moutain and back to Bishop, before the bad weather set in.

Just a warning for one who is out on these deserted roads be cautious, who knows if they ever caught those thives, back in the late 1970s

We all know that this was 27 years ago, but there was less weirdos out there 27 years ago also, We would not like to have that happen today, who knows how many pirates type wiredos are out in these back roads of the west.

Be carefull and go prepared
have fun
Johnnie & sheila:)

old judge
08-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Ah **** Johnnie. Most of the weirdos I know are sittin' in the AC monitoring this website. OJ

LauraA
08-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Ah **** Johnnie. Most of the weirdos I know are sittin' in the AC monitoring this website. OJ
Hey, I resemble that remark! 325

auroramike
11-26-2007, 11:34 AM
we went through there going to aurora, nv this last spring. if you go through Lucky Boy pass, you have access to Aurora, all the way through to near Sweetwater, Ca. Lots too see on this road. The most interesting being the almost intact Nine Mile Ranch, Aurora is also off of this road. The road itself is in great condition, although there is a small area at nine mile ranch that you have to cross the creek, but we did it in a compact car. There are some beautiful views of the Walker River and eventually you come back to a paved highway, make a left and a few miles down Bridgeport is a great place to stay, and Bodie is just south of there as is Mono Lake, this is a great area to explore

David A. Wright
11-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Thanks
Go over the route from Hawthorne to Bodie, but stop at Lucky Boy ghost town, halfway up the grade to the summit of the Wassuk Range. Take along Stan Paher's book NEVADA GHOST TOWNS & MINING CAMPS, which has several large images of Lucky Boy during its heyday.

But, be careful! The closest I ever came to falling down a mine shaft was here during the early 1980s. I was walking down a hillside, admiring the view, unaware of what lay only a few feet away from my feet. Fortunately my buddy was down below, looked up at me, then screamed for me to stop. I dug in my feet, promply my feet went out from under me, and I ended up sitting on my butt at the very edge of the mine shaft, which was plunging down under me at an approximately 75 degree angle. I was very fortunate that the ground under my butt didn't give away and deposit me deep into the earth. :eek:

Rockcrusher
11-28-2007, 06:30 PM
We were on our way back to Calif. in the spring of 79 and we were pulling our 27ft. travel trailer and about 5 miles south of town of Hawthorne . . . Be carefull and go prepared
have fun
Johnnie & sheila:)

Interesting story. I was still living in Hawthorne at that time and I don't recall ever hearing of that.

Yellowvwthing . . .

Another option would be take Thorne Road (NV 839) up through Ryan Canyon. There's not much to see along the road but there are a large number of side trips to some interesting places along the way.

NV 839 is graded gravel all the way from Hawthorne to its end which is east of Sand Mountain on US50.