PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to get to Wolf Hole Arizona?

Tazman
08-08-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm flying to Arizona this weekend and would like to visit Wolf Hole. Does anyone know where it is? I've read that there's a well paved road and that's all I know.

old judge
08-09-2006, 09:38 AM
www.topozone.com (http://www.topozone.com)

Bob
08-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Been to it coming in from Gold Butte. Seems like you bear east at Whitney Pockets and keep following the best graded road towartd St George and you go right past it. Don't recall much of interest. If you are coming Utah I recall coming out on the old road to the old dragstrip (Where I had been before) just before getting to St. George. It has been maybe 20 years since I was there and I know St George has grown. I'd buy a BLM/NPS/FS Arizona Strip Map they sell at information Center in St. George and inquire if I was around when they are open.

Johnnie
10-31-2006, 06:45 AM
I'm flying to Arizona this weekend and would like to visit Wolf Hole. Does anyone know where it is? I've read that there's a well paved road and that's all I know.

Tazman, did you ever get to Wolf Hole? If you did what did you think of it.:confused:
J & S

lester
09-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Yes, I know how to get to Wolf Hole Arizona. A couple of months ago, I went to Wolf Hole Arizona. I met the owner of the property who was tending his cattle in a near by corral. The building is no longer there. Nothing remains. The owner told me vandals (thanks a lot guys) had torn off and took so much of the wood on the building that is was about ready to collapse. So he finished what the vandals left undone.

He bulldozed and filled in the hole / cellar in the picture. Because it was cool in the summer time, poisonous spiders and rattle snakes liked to stay in there. He also caved in and filled in the cistern shown in the picture. He said it was very deep and a real danger to people snooping around it. He said the entire area was just too much of a liability for him.

The ground is now level and the building is just a pile of boards rotting in the weather.

While talking with him, he told me several ranching families lived in the area at one time but things did not work out and like so many other places of it’s time, they moved on, and the community died. There was a store near where this building was that catered to people passing by. He said the storekeeper bragged he had anything you wanted. When asked if he had false teeth for sale, he thought for a moment then reached in and pulled out his own set of false teeth and said yep, here’s a set you can buy.

BTW, the map showing Wolf Hole northeast of Pipe Springs Arizona is incorrect and off by about 60 miles or so. To get to Wolf Hole and Wolf Hole Valley, simply go south out of St George Utah on S. River Road. Wolf Hole is about 32 miles due south of St. George Utah. The road is dirt and well maintained. It’s very good in the summer time, but snowy, muddy, slick and dangerous in some places in the wintertime.

Wolf Hole valley is just that, a valley. You’ll know it when you get there. It’s a wide open area on top with the building shown in the Ghost Towns.com web site being on the northern most end of the valley.

Even though I had a GPS with me at the time, I did not shoot the exact location where the building (pile of rotting boards) was, but from looking at Google maps, the GPS coordinates are 36.7591, -113.5496. The building is about 50 feet off the road which has also been the main road through the area for over 100 + years.

The area is fenced in and is a pasture for grazing cattle. So if you like looking at dirt and cow pies, this is your place.

teds280z
11-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Wow thats been the site posted on our home page for ever!!!:cool:

danny_stoddard
11-20-2009, 09:03 AM
I hope you have a nice trip - finding the GT is half the adventure! good luck!