PDA

View Full Version : anyone been to Rawhide,NV. lately?

acecomike
08-12-2006, 09:52 AM
I'll be in the area in two weeks for a BITD race and was wondering if it was worth a side trip.

Bob
08-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Ain't much left! What class (number) are you racing?

acecomike
08-13-2006, 09:33 AM
I will be supporting car #1540. I thought I would volunteer for Rawhide since I haven't been out that way yet.

Bob
08-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Last time I worked a check near Rawhide I spent time investigating the RR grade (There never was a RR) to Rawhide. Most of Rawhide has been reclaimed by recent mining activity.

I had planned to be working a secret check around Top Gun but Casey changed my plans A good thing as I'll be near enough to the start to get to see all the Quads/MCs in the daytime. I'm sure I see 1500s as well.

If your at Pit 14, how are you going to go to and leave the remote pit? The dirt road from Thorne and the coming south from 50 (Exit a few miles west of Frenchman) are alternatives to the dirt road off 95 (shown on your Pit Support Book). If you spend the night and have Saturday to investigate, consider some side trips off one of those roads or just work your way east toward Ione and Gabbs. My advice is avoid the road from Rawhide to Salt Wells, at least till mid-October.

acecomike
08-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Well my pit support book tells me to go in on Rawhide Rd. go out on 839 to 50. And I can only hope that I'm not waiting for my car to come through that long that I have to spend the night, but it's a long race and just never know.
Thanks for the tip Bob.
Hey, have fun down there and if you see 1540 go by tell them to stand on the gas! ACE

Bob
08-15-2006, 05:56 AM
Wish I could tell you exactly where Iím going to be but Iím near two 1870 Ghost towns and also near a couple newer ghost towns. Iíll be at stop check A and will be radioing the passing times to Reno. I expect to be torn down about dusk and the beagle and I expect to sleep in our own bed Friday Night.

Ric
07-27-2008, 03:13 AM
While stationed at Fallon NAAS in 1968, my wife and I and another couple strayed into Rawhide while on an exploring trip in the desert.

At the time we were there, there wasn't much left. There was a house on a rise SW of the "Downtown", and the Jail with a steel cage intact. The old mines were still there, open to explore.

There were two mines very close. One mine NW of the town, was a verticle vein mine, several stories deep, with 3-4 wooden floors. The other NE of town was a round horizontal shaft, 300-400 feet deep with no shoring.

While web surfing about a year ago, I discovered that the jail cell was taken to Hawthorne? and preserved. And, some mining company had bought the property and had dug a huge open-pit mine there. Rawhide is no more. What a shame. There was a lot of history there.

I should tell you that there were no ghosts in Rawhide in 1968. After exploring the town, we returned to our car to discover we had a flat tire and no spare (A BIG mistake!) at nightfall! My wife and the other couple stayed there until nearly midnite while I walked/hitch hiked back to Fallon, some 50 miles away, for a tire. They were scared, but saw no ghosts, even though they expected they would.

For very interesting reading, Google "Rawhide, Nevada", and enjoy!!

Rockcrusher
07-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Rawhide is gone. In its place there are several deep pits.

Plug this into Google Maps or Google Earth and you'll see what I mean.

39.0165903 -118.3912420

About the only thing left that relates to Rawhide is the Regent Mine (2 miles NW) and Gundaker Reservoir (2Ĺ miles S)