PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Towns in Europe

Karsten
08-17-2006, 05:38 AM
Hello, is there anybody who can tell me about Ghosttowns in Europe?

Locations, History...

Thanks! Karsten

LauraA
08-17-2006, 05:58 AM
Interesting question. Since Europe's history dates back thousands of years before ours' are they still considered Ghost Towns or archeological ruins?
Off hand, the only one I can think of that fills the bill would be Chernobyl and I doubt that it's open for exploration. War ravaged towns in Europe were rebuilt for the most part and those consumed over the ages by flood, famine and plague were often burned from what I've read to avoid the spread of disease. There are probably quite a few abandoned mines in Europe, so there probably would be some abandoned mining towns around somewhere.

Ghost town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_town)

coolguy0621
08-17-2006, 06:38 AM
Hello, is there anybody who can tell me about Ghosttowns in Europe?

Locations, History...

Thanks! Karsten

I'm sure there are plenty as that area has been populated for much longer than the U.S.

modette
08-19-2006, 03:15 PM
The places I saw while in Austria for 4 years where ruin Castles...all you do over there is buy a tour book and head to all the Castle locations ont he map...thousands of them...most are private, but usually no one around to give a ****. Others are rebuilt and you pay to see what is there, others are still pretty much standing but are still free to see.

Good locations to Metal Detect too...found many items from the middle ages, on through WW2. From metal crosses, to Napolean musket balls, to Nazi coins, to land mines. Yep, lots of fun...

coolguy0621
08-19-2006, 03:47 PM
sounds fun I did kind the same thing in Germany a while back, I had a blast, but no metal detecting. I'm going back to europe some time soon, hopefully:)

Tsarevna
01-20-2007, 10:44 PM
In the flat areas of Europe, one should always be suspicious of mounds. If the ground is flat, and suddenly there's a hill by itself or just a couple clumped together, it's most likely a burial chamber or the remains of a fortification. Late Stone-Age people built mounds, especially in the British Isles, in which to bury the dead. Later in history, wooden castles were erected on top of mounds, which made them islands when moats were dug around them. Metal detecting around such mounds should uncover trash and other things that people would throw into the moats. :)