PDA

View Full Version : Nye County, NV Ghost Towns (Rd Condition)

modette
08-18-2006, 02:09 PM
I will be out in NV around Sept 1st. This will be the second Ghost town trip out there with a friend of mine that lives in the Bay Area of CA.

We plan to hit these Ghost towns in NYE County (just North of Warm Springs):

Tybo
Keystone
Mountain View
Hot Creek Ranch
Upper Hot Creek Ranch
Danville
Lauville
Antelope
Pritchards Station
Moores Station
Morey

Along with seeing the Easy Chair Crater and the Lunar Crater Volcanic Fields

We will be in a 04 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 (Just installed a Tow hook and Skid Plate). My friend and I are easy going, so not liek we will be rock crawling...lol after all this is a leased Explorer.

Does anyone here know on the road conditions in that area? Also what else might we want to see in that area? We already did Monarch and Belmont a few years back along with others.

GaryB
08-19-2006, 11:01 PM
Well the craters are off of the highway and with the BLM and ranching in the area, are usually kept in good shape. They are also a tourist spot, so are likely well managed, at least they seemed to me last time there.

The others are off of a state/BLM maintained road which sees grading every so often. Should be decent except for wash boarding. The roads from the main road (139 IIRC) are dependent on how frequent they are used and who is using them. We had some pretty good rain storms this past monsoon season, so roads may be iffy to the sites. Roads leading to GT's and such usually only get graded every 10 years or so by the BLM if ever. Seasonal hunters and GT hunters are usually the ones that keep the roads passable.

IIRC someone had issues with goons or something at Tybo not to long ago, I'd try searching the forums here and see what was what.

modette
08-20-2006, 07:20 AM
Thanks...

I read some about the Tybo stuff...seems to me like just the Liitary in one spot watching people...no big deal there to me.

Plus no one from what I have read lives up at Tybo...so I do not see why anyone would try and run us off...lol I am not too worried, I'm not going to die to see a Ghost Town but we will also have a hand gun and a shot gun my friend is bringing. So if they really want trouble then they will get it...

Cecile
08-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Most ghosttowns are in areas that are prone to have any kind of weather any time of year that can change road conditions in an instant. Helps to keep an eye on the weather reports for the time period that you plan to be out. Often these places are in little ecosystems of their own, and you have to look at two or three near by weather reports to get a feel for what's going on.
I have been on a road that was fine when I passed it, and was the weather, then a cloudburst came and everything that I had just been on disappeared.

modette
08-21-2006, 07:13 AM
Thank you for the heads up :-)