PDA

View Full Version : My 2003 Ghost town Trip Pictures

modette
08-18-2006, 03:53 PM
I put them up here:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gwardy2000/my_photos

It was a fun trip. Our first rental vehicle was a new Mitsubishi Endeavor that was AWD, it worked out for going up Goler Wash in Death Valley, however the next day taking a back route up to the "Racetrack" we hit a pot hole and got a flat tire and had to change it in 105 degree heat.

After putting the donut spare on we headed out of DV to Ridgecrest where we got the other tire patched and then headed to Baker, CA to the Hertz rental place where they gave us a Ford Mini Van. They told us to head to Vegas if we wanted a SUV (seeing as it was a Ghost Town trip thats what we needed and paid for). So we headed to Vegas, stopping of at some Dunes south of Death Valley.

Once in Vegas we stopped at Hertz and they told us to come back the next day. We enjoyed the night in Vegas and went back. after being told we would get a Ford Explorer that all changed once they saw the car would be staying in the Bay Area and not returning to Vegas. They then said they had a Ford Excursion to which we said NO to. They then said they have a Land Rover to which we said YES right away...not bad for $200 a week rental...lol

That was the best for off-roading. Plus it was a nice ride on the street too except for the fuel milage. Plus it also had the Hertz GPS in it too which was nice to have.

The rest of the trip was good, and we saw some wonderfull country sides and some Ghost Towns.

modette
08-18-2006, 03:55 PM
I'll post up the 2006 Ghost Town trip once I am back in Sept :-)

bad bob
08-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Some of those pics look pretty good, Belmont etc., would ya post the next ones in a larger format? At least 800x600, that way I could add them to my collection. TIA
bb.

modette
08-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Some of those pics look pretty good, Belmont etc., would ya post the next ones in a larger format? At least 800x600, that way I could add them to my collection. TIA
bb.

I can do that with these too, I do have a website...I'll get them up and post the link ASAP.

modette
08-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Sorry these are not as big (quality) as I thought, I probably resized them...this year I will be leaving them at 6mp's.

http://www.needabike.com/pic/GT/2003GhosttownTrip.html

LauraA
08-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Mod, nice pictures. They looked fine to me, clear and fast downloading ... and that's really saying something since I'm on a really slow dial-up connection.
Is there any way you can put captions with the pictures?
Those ghostly sculptures in Rhyolite must have been a sight to see in the middle of the desert :eek:

modette
08-28-2006, 11:39 AM
I will make the site better after this coming Ghost Town Trip (I leave this Wednesday).

Yep, it is going to be a long drive to NV...lol

coolguy0621
08-28-2006, 11:45 AM
thanks for your pic's modette!!!:D

GaryB
08-28-2006, 02:25 PM
Yep, it is going to be a long drive to NV...lol

We have a new rule here. Every person that comes to visit has to take one non-native person from Nevada back with them. What you do with them is up to you, just make sure you take them far enough away that they can't find their way back. Thanks!

PS: if you decide to take two back, you get a free shrimp cocktail and a "Somebody in Nevada Loves Me" t-shirt.

Where about are you planning to visit this time?

Flatiron
08-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Modette...........I enjoyed your pics , especially Highbridge and Rhyolite. I've taken a few photos from almost exactly the same spot while in Rhyolite. Thanks for posting them.

tucson_tumbleweed
08-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Sorry these are not as big (quality) as I thought, I probably resized them...this year I will be leaving them at 6mp's.

http://www.needabike.com/pic/GT/2003GhosttownTrip.html

What's the story behind the ghostly figures? Those pics really caught me by surprise.

Also, there is a statue of some kind in pink? Whats up with that?

I may have to saddle up ole' Bess and see for myself. As soon as I figure what kind of ammunition to bring for apparitions.

modette
08-29-2006, 06:13 AM
Where about are you planning to visit this time?

We are staying in Tonopah at the Silver Queen for two nights before we go onto Bishop, CA.

As for the Ghost towns we are hitting up NYE County this time (North of Warm Springs).
Tybo
Longstreet
Old Page Place
Morey
Pritchards Station
Danville
Lauville
Antelope
Keystone
Arrastra
Mountain View
Moores Station
Lunar Crater Volcanic Fields
Probably see a bunch of Kilns

We reserved some ATV's in Bishop, CA so thats what we will be going there. Then we are staying in Independence and then onto Death Valley (Barker/Manson Ranch) and then fromt here we do not know. We might drive down to Mexicali and then to Las Vegas...or if Metal detecting at the Ghost towns goes good, we might go back and do that more...After DV we have no plans...we usually do not plan anything...but this time with the Holiday we thought it be best just so we are sure to have a Hotel room.

I will be coming from Flint, Michigan. Probably take I80 across to CO, and then get on some backroads and take those to Utah, and maybe take 50 across NV to Reno. I am used to motorcycle trips and taking only backroads, so being on I80 for a day will drive me nuts...I hate main roads...too many people, and too many cops.

GaryB
08-29-2006, 01:49 PM
That's right, I forgot you were asking about road conditions earlier :rolleyes:

Staying from I-80 in Nevada might not be a bad idea, lots of wild fires around Elko right now, though I hear they are some what under control now.

There are a few old camps and stage coach stops around where you are coming through. Hitting any with a detector might be worth it. The center of the state tends to not get the traffic that the rest gets, so it might not be so picked over.