PDA

View Full Version : The elusive Bluebird Mine

LauraA
08-19-2006, 11:01 AM
We got up early this morning and after packing up some sandwiches and cold drinks, we were on the road by 4:30 AM. Driving up to Greenback Valley on FR 71, it was a fabulous trip, cool and beautiful, with dawn just breaking. We'd studied the map and determined there was another road, a backdoor to the Bluebird mining site. The map proved correct, sure enough, hidden behind some brush was the remnants of an old road. It looked to be ok so we decided to try it. Rocky and heading uphill but passable for about a half a mile it then became rutted, tippy, off camber and very HIGH up. The worst part, we could see the beginnings of our ultimate destination, one of the miner's cabins we'd been told about by the forest rangers. There it was directly below us! (about a mile as the crow flies) The mine was only about a quarter of a mile from the cabin, so we were the closest we'd been yet. Since the recent rains, the road was washed out in places and since we were alone, we decided discretion is the better part of valor and turned back. It was a real disappointment, but now we know for sure we're on the right track, we'll either have to hike in, wait to go with the forest service when they go, or find someone to buddy with and attempt the trip again.
On the way back out and onto FR 71, we decided to ride a bit further, up to Greenback Mountain, beautiful area, lots of greenery, and canyon vistas. I had my hand out the window of the Jeep and all of a sudden, we hear a loud buzzing...at that same moment, we saw a flash of something just outside the window, I yanked my hand in, almost landed in my husband's lap in the process and let out a yelp that I'm sure echoed through the canyons. My husband slammed on the brakes and backed up the Jeep ... sure enough, still coiled to strike again was a big ol' FAT Western Diamondback. We'd disturbed his sunning session and he was in no mood to be messed with, so we just took a couple of pictures and bid him adieu. (I kept my hand in the window for the rest of the trip and was still shaking an hour later)
All in all, it was a nice trip, a bit disappointing, but now we know we're on the right track and we're going back one way or the other for sure.

Sorry for the lousy picture quality...I was a bit shakey :eek:

Mr Diamondback

Miner's cabin Bluebird Mine
(the road on the upper portion going left, leads to the mine)

The road leading to "our" Bluebird...if we could only get to it!

Sunflowers Along Greenback Mountain Road

Sunflowers with Greenback Valley behind them

Goat
08-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Great post Laura! In my experience, I've only had 1 rattler strike at me, and a few others that let out a buzz. Consider yourself fortunate!

Goat

p.s. Maybe that's why schoolbus drivers insist that you keep your arms inside the windows! Hmmm, maybe...

LauraA
08-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Thanks Goat. This was our first experience with having one actually angry and buzzing. We've seen quite a few of them since we've been living here, but they've all been on the move and quite a bit smaller than this one. I wish the picture had come out better, he was fat and about four feet long. When they get into an "S" curve, in strike mode and buzz, they're awesome to see. (they're misnamed, they should be Buzzers, not Rattlers. :rolleyes: )
Yep,Those bus drivers are smart, from now on, I'm keeping my hands inside!

Kevin1968
08-19-2006, 07:34 PM
I see you live in Arizona. Could you put up the directions to this mine? Me and a couple of my friends would probably try it on dirt bikes.

LauraA
08-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Kevin, Thank you for your interest. However, I prefer not to post the exact directions on a public forum. If you're interested, I'll be glad to send you directions via PM after we've visited the mine ourselves. Afterall, I consider it MY Bluebird. (Howard Carter didn't share the exact location of Tut's Tomb until after he'd gone public with the full extent of his discovery) ;)

brian10x
08-20-2006, 05:22 AM
You have no idea how happy and thrilled I am to read your story.

We spend so much of our time here engrossed in idle chit chat that visitors must surely wonder if any of us actually visit ghost towns.

I'd love to assist if you need help locating your trail. Its a bit of a drive from Tucson, but, then again, I just returned from a 16 hour round trip to New Mexico to deliver that death trap ATV. The Samurai should be somewhat trail ready in a couple of weeks.

Getting back to your trip, is the Bluebird largely unmolested? It looks like there's a lot left of the cabin. If we go, and while exploring the cabin, my foot should crash through rotting timbers on the old floor, exposing a secret cache of gold, are you ok with a 50/50 split?

BS

LauraA
08-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Brian, ummmm how's about 40/60?...or we can arm wrestle or food fight 2 out of 3 ;)
Seriously, that sounds like a wonderful idea! We know where the trail is, but we're afraid to attempt it without a buddy along in case there's a problem. We've been told the mine and support locations are primarily unmolested. (TNF Ranger said it's one of the best sites he's seen)
We can offer you some good ol' Arizona hospitality, a room and a steak dinner. Can you can find a pooch sitter for Sausage and Daisy? ...I'm afraid Psycho Schnauzer would want to make a snack out of them.
You'd enjoy this area, there's a lot to see and for scenic beauty it can't be beat!
My hubby said anyone who is crazy, has a death wish or is suicidal need not show up. (I explained to him all about you..so he said crazy is acceptable and he'd look forward to meeting you LOL)
The Jeep club which we joined are really into rock crawling, crazy stunts and major risk taking, which isn't at all what we're interested in. We want to find the sites, explore them and enjoy the experience while doing as little damage to ourselves or our vehicle as possible.
If you're serious about wanting to see the Bluebird with us, keep us posted on how the Sami is coming along and we'll take it from there. :D

Kevin1968
08-20-2006, 04:50 PM
I guess I can understand that. Let me know if you change your mind. An old mine is'nt King Tuts tomb.

LauraA
08-20-2006, 05:09 PM
I guess I can understand that. Let me know if you change your mind. An old mine is'nt King Tuts tomb.

Kevin, no, an old mine, or a ghost town, or the remnants from our past history is not King Tut's Tomb. Since this is a relatively new country in comparison to ancient Egypt, it's all we've got and in my opinion, it's just as worthy of preservation.

brian10x
08-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Brian, ummmm how's about 40/60?...or we can arm wrestle or food fight 2 out of 3
Seriously, that sounds like a wonderful idea! We know where the trail is, but we're afraid to attempt it without a buddy along in case there's a problem. We've been told the mine and support locations are primarily unmolested. (TNF Ranger said it's one of the best sites he's seen)
We can offer you some good ol' Arizona hospitality, a room and a steak dinner. Can you can find a pooch sitter for Sausage and Daisy? ...I'm afraid Psycho Schnauzer would want to make a snack out of them.
You'd enjoy this area, there's a lot to see and for scenic beauty it can't be beat!
My hubby said anyone who is crazy, has a death wish or is suicidal need not show up. (I explained to him all about you..so he said crazy is acceptable and he'd look forward to meeting you LOL)
The Jeep club which we joined are really into rock crawling, crazy stunts and major risk taking, which isn't at all what we're interested in. We want to find the sites, explore them and enjoy the experience while doing as little damage to ourselves or our vehicle as possible.
If you're serious about wanting to see the Bluebird with us, keep us posted on how the Sami is coming along and we'll take it from there. :D

Seriously, sounds like a great idea. I BS a lot, but I think you know how to separate the bs from the truth.

Mapquest says
Total Est. Distance: 144.25 miles

I haven't had a chance to drive the Zuk yet but I hear top speed is around 60 with a tailwind. Mapquest says over 3 hours because most of the travel is on 77, 60, and 188. I could leave the puppies one night alone without guilt ripping me apart (but just barely). Besides, Daisy isn't "trail rated" just yet.

I'm taking a week off the last week of September. That might be our opportunity. I'll bring my metal detector and you can show me how to use it!

I don't really poop in my pants, that was purely for entertainment value. I apologize to those who are disapointed. I am shockingly normal in real life. Poop man is just a superhero fantasy.
:mad: :mad: :confused:

brian10x
08-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Of course, you might have to sign a , er, waiver of some sort before they let me take my , ah, er , vacation.

Yeah, thats it. My "employer" just needs a signature or two , notarized of course, to authorize my
vacation". You also have to show proof of insurance and they say its better to have an attorney present.

And please don't let me near cutlery. Its better for both of us just to let me eat with my hands.

Oh, and please be careful not to have the radio on. My "employer" says I get kind of "freaky" in a "bad" way if I hear any disco. Some kind of flashback to the seventies. They will let you borrow a syringe and horse sedative if i get "freaky". Just remember to inject it in my ***.

:mad: :mad: :confused:

brian10x
08-20-2006, 06:15 PM
**** censorship!~

*** is the word I typed

maybe if I misspell it asss

or adz

or ash

or just buttocks
:mad: :mad: :mad:

LauraA
08-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Brian, GREAT! Hey we could drag race.. you in your Sami, us in our Jeep 4 banger...between us, we might even hit 65 if there's a REALLY strong tailwind going downhill.:rolleyes: That's ok though, we'll both have power enough to crawl to some of these remote locations.
Glad to hear you're "normal" whatever that is...maybe my hubby and I better brush up on normalcy before you get here. (gotta drag out the dictionary first and look up the definition)
Yes, bring your metal detector, we can all try to learn how to use the dang thing. Your directions to get here are right on target. We'll send our phone number and exact directions via email.
Keep in touch and eventually maybe at least one of us can find our elusive mine. ;)