PDA

View Full Version : Star City, Tiger & Kentuck Mines, Silverado Mill

jmnardo
08-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Planning on taking a Jeep trip or two to the Eastern Sierra next month. A couple years ago we went to Star City, NE of Bridgeport. Never made it to any of the actual mines in the area. From the maps, it does not look like any of the canyons headed to the subject areas connect, so it would be hard to make a loop. Assuming I can only make one of the canyons, does anyone have any recommendations?

The topos do seem to indicate you can circle back down to the Walker from Star City but its a long Jeep trail. Anybody done that?

High Desert Drifter
08-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Planning on taking a Jeep trip or two to the Eastern Sierra next month. A couple years ago we went to Star City, NE of Bridgeport. Never made it to any of the actual mines in the area. From the maps, it does not look like any of the canyons headed to the subject areas connect, so it would be hard to make a loop. Assuming I can only make one of the canyons, does anyone have any recommendations?

The topos do seem to indicate you can circle back down to the Walker from Star City but its a long Jeep trail. Anybody done that?

You may want to PM Flatiron, he lives in that area and off roads there frequently. go to the members list, locate his call sign and send him a PM. wish I could help you a little more but my expertise is a bit East of there in the sweetwater / Elbow and Aurora areas.

Flatiron
08-22-2006, 04:49 AM
jmnardo............Yes, you can loop back down to the Walker, but as you said, it's a fairly long ride. There's not much left at Star City, but you may want to check out Belfort while you're in the area. Check your topo map, and you'll see a trail that heads E/NE from the East side of Lobdell Lake.If you fish, there's Arctic Grayling in Lobdell Lake, by the way. There's actually an old sign that's on the fence line showing the road to Star City, etc. Study your topo maps closely! As far as the Silverado Mill ruins, you'll have to make the trip back to Bridgeport and take the Wellington Rd. to the Sweetwater Ranch turn-off (west) and follow your topos. You can get there from the loop rd., but as you said, it's a long trip. There are some beautiful views from the top of Mt. Patterson, though, and some great 4 wheelin'. If I can help you out any more, please PM me. If not, have a good trip.:D

Flatiron
08-26-2006, 06:02 AM
Just doing some bumping........:mad: