PDA

View Full Version : Thought we missed it!

jjcookiemonster
08-23-2006, 01:27 PM
This past weekend we took off on a trip out to Bodie & decided we'd visit Aurora on the way back to Reno. Ok, we drove around for hours, lots of great pictures & interesting things & couldn't find this town anywhere!! We found the active mine out there & a few things but were thinking that the active mine had ruined the ghost town? I've been all over looking on line for pictures & directions & the places we found & got out to explore look like we did find it after all.
I wanted to tell everyone thank you for all the great pictures & directions to places!! This has been one way that I've been teaching my daughter about history. We go & explore & she always has the coolest stories to tell when people ask what she did during her summer break.
Also does anyone out there any good websites or directions to good places for rock hunting or anything like that? She also collects those & it works in perfectly with our ghost towning!!!

Thanks, Jan:)

GaryB
08-23-2006, 03:02 PM
http://nevadanuggethunters.myfreeforum.org/index.php

And they are in your neck of the woods.

High Desert Drifter
08-23-2006, 03:16 PM
the ghost town is over the hill towards the cemetery than down the hill to the South. I was there 3 weeks ago for my 6th time. not much there in the means of structures, mostly foundations. there is one building left standing on the left as you follow the gulch up towards the top of the hill. and there are several mine sites. In fact the 1900's revival town of Mangum (did I spell that right) is located near the mill and present day mining area that you see as you climb the hill to the cemetery (3-4 blds left). my web site highdesertdrifter.com has the latest photos of Aurora and there is another web site (can't remember the name) has the latest photos of Mangum. you may have to google search that one.