PDA

View Full Version : Do You Like Ships?

Ghostdancer
08-24-2006, 05:10 AM
Was in San Diego on vacation just a few weeks ago. Again, I decided to pass on visiting Julian, but went on the USS Midway which is now open for tours. The $15.00 admission doesn't seem high after you've been up and down the ship.

Then there's the Star Of India which is part of a 4 ship tour that includes the HMS Surprise where Master And Commander was filmed. I didn't see it this time having done so two years ago, but the admission has been raised to $12.00 from $8.00. (I had just seen the movie before traveling there).

I didn't see it, but there's now a Russian Submarine open for tours.

Tom

old judge
08-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Tom: Had the pleasure of touring the Midway last December. Hope you liked the static A-6 Intruder on the flight deck. My old bird, decked out just as I flew her much of the time. In the future there will be an A-6 Ready Room open for your enjoyment. Don't think that's quite accomplished yet. My carrier was the Kittyhawk, now the oldest in the fleet and the only non-nuclear carrier. Some bigger than Midway but smaller by some than the newest ships. I was especially impressed by the Volunteers and guides on the ship. The ones I met were all old retired carrier types. Mike

Ghostdancer
08-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Tom: Had the pleasure of touring the Midway last December. Hope you liked the static A-6 Intruder on the flight deck. My old bird, decked out just as I flew her much of the time. In the future there will be an A-6 Ready Room open for your enjoyment. Don't think that's quite accomplished yet. My carrier was the Kittyhawk, now the oldest in the fleet and the only non-nuclear carrier. Some bigger than Midway but smaller by some than the newest ships. I was especially impressed by the Volunteers and guides on the ship. The ones I met were all old retired carrier types. Mike

Yeah, the guide who took us up onto the bridge and control room was a former officer on that same ship as was at least one other. I probably took a photo of that Intruder as I was taking many of the planes on the flight deck. I've yet to get the film developed.

Tom

old judge
08-24-2006, 04:27 PM
Perhaps it was more clear to others than to me, Tom, that you might be asking the question, "Could a boat be a Ghost Town"? Well, just in case you ask, I would consider the Midway the Bodie of Boats. Of course, you were touring a GT. Nobody, or few, who once lived there were aboard. Those who died on her decks, or from her decks, are, for the most part, right at the bottom of that Ocean in which she sets. Cecile, or someone like her, is there to greet you. Never thought about it until your post. Now, my real thought. Ships are not Ghost Towns. It's another category. Mike

Flatiron
08-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Spoken like a true B/N, OJ. I imagine the Forrestal could have been considered a GT at one time, considering the ghosts of many of the souls lost on that fateful day. RIP............:(

Ghostdancer
08-25-2006, 05:29 AM
Perhaps it was more clear to others than to me, Tom, that you might be asking the question, "Could a boat be a Ghost Town"? Well, just in case you ask, I would consider the Midway the Bodie of Boats. Of course, you were touring a GT. Nobody, or few, who once lived there were aboard. Those who died on her decks, or from her decks, are, for the most part, right at the bottom of that Ocean in which she sets. Cecile, or someone like her, is there to greet you. Never thought about it until your post. Now, my real thought. Ships are not Ghost Towns. It's another category. Mike

That is why I posted this in the "Other" forum. ;)

Tom

NWNative
08-25-2006, 07:33 AM
The Kittyhawk was here a few years aog and I had the pleasure of going on a short tour. Amazing place.

Cecile
08-25-2006, 08:41 AM
I was at the Star of India as a teenager. I would say that qualifies as a ghost boat ;)

old judge
08-25-2006, 12:33 PM
NWNative: I gather from your post you live near the Pacific. I spent about 3 years on and around Whidbey Island, training, locating my bride, and mustering out from Oak Harbor. Are you close by?? Bremerton or Seattle maybe? I would have stayed in the area if I hadn't promised Mom I would come back home and finish Law School. I love Oklahoma, but the scenery pales a little compared to your part of the country. OJ

GaryB
08-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Only ship I have set foot on was the Queen Mary back when the Spruce Goose was next door. I was too young to fully appreciate it, but I have always been intrigued by ships, especially the Navy's carriers. Old ships may not be GT's per say, but they definitely hold rank among historical importance IMO ;)

Ghostdancer
08-28-2006, 05:04 AM
The Kittyhawk was here a few years aog and I had the pleasure of going on a short tour. Amazing place.

In Bremerton? during one of my visits I drove to Bremerton and there were one or two carriers which I'm guessing were there for refurbishing. Don't know which ones.

Tom

LauraA
08-28-2006, 06:21 AM
I thought some of you "Old Salts" and those interested might enjoy perusing these sites....

USS KITTY HAWK (http://www.navydaze.com/uss_kitty_hawk.htm)

Aircraft Carrier Photo Index: USS KITTY HAWK (CVA-63) (http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/63.htm)

HistoryLink Essay: Puget Sound Naval Shipyard (http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=5579)

The Midway :: San Diego's Aircraft Carrier Museum - San Diego Aircraft Carrier Museum (http://www.midway.org/site/pp.asp?c=coIMKTMCF&b=81432)

xplor'npaul
04-04-2007, 06:39 AM
Some one earlier mentioned a possible sub tour in San Diego..... Here is Long Beach they have a Scorpion class Russian sub docked next the Queen Mary. I took the tour, gotta tell ya, it ain't like in the movies! That control room is TINY! And the living quarters for the Captain was about the size of a walk in closet. I could never serve on sub... DEATH TRAPS!!! It's worth seeing if your out this way.

Ghostdancer
04-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Some one earlier mentioned a possible sub tour in San Diego..... Here is Long Beach they have a Scorpion class Russian sub docked next the Queen Mary. I took the tour, gotta tell ya, it ain't like in the movies! That control room is TINY! And the living quarters for the Captain was about the size of a walk in closet. I could never serve on sub... DEATH TRAPS!!! It's worth seeing if your out this way.

Could it be the same one that was in San Diego or is there a Russian sub in both San Diego and Long Beach?

Many years ago I was at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago and saw the German U boat on display and I recall it was very cramped quarters.

Tom

old judge
04-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Tom: There is one in both San Diego and Long Beach. Both Foxtrot class, non-nukies, diesel I think. I don't know how they might compare to U.S. pre-nuclear subs. I was on one in '67 as an intro to future Naval Officers. Didn't take long for me to opt for aircraft carriers. As I recall, and will feel free to stand corrected, there was one shower. When I asked a crewman how often they got to shower, he told me that if they were out for less than 6 weeks, they mostly didn't bother. He may have been pulling my leg, but I'm 63 now, and never been told differently. When visiting the berthing spaces, a/k/a torpedo room, I was really put off by the hammocks hanging amongst the torpedoes. Then I was told each represented the bed of three sailors, one in bed, one on duty, and one in limbo I guess. Well, that clinched it. No sub duty for this Okie. In boot camp, those who indicated an interest in sub duty disappeared for a day to undergo tests to determine how well they might live in a sardine can with too many sardines. It takes a special breed of cat. My hat's off to 'em. Never hung out with U.S. submariners while I was on active duty. Did come across some Aussie submariners in Pensacola for goodness sake, and somewhere overseas, maybe Japan. Anyway, it only takes trying to keep up with them one night. If you live, you'll pass the next time. Friendly lads. Like their drink immensely.