PDA

View Full Version : Ghost towns of SW Colorado

Boleslav
08-28-2006, 05:53 AM
Hello,
We plan to travel to the SW Colorado in 10 days, I have searched through the pictures on ghosttowns.com, but there is so many to see.
We like to compbine the hiking, camping in the National Forest primitive sites with the visits of the ghost towns/sites. Can you recommend any sites that may fit the ciretia for the area of Ouray, Silverton, Telluride? Thank you.

old judge
08-28-2006, 07:09 AM
You're right pardner. Plenty to do and see in SW Colorado. If you haven't been, and of course it ain't like real GTin', I wouldn't pass up a day at Mesa Verde. With that said, one of the most enjoyable drives my wife and I have taken, combining GTin' with sight seein', was this time of year in, I think, '03. Turned N off Hwy 50 at Parlin, visited Ohio City, Pitkin, and Tincup and completed the loop at Gunnison. There are many mines and other sites along that route, but off the beaten path. Beautiful opportunities for camping, etc. With a little planning, that would be a one to three day trip, depending entirely on your whims. By the way, the first half of the trip, up to Tincup, is hairy, rocky and narrow, with breath taking views. TWD is fine, some clearance needed in a place or two, and be ready to do a little backin' and shufflin' if you meet somebody comin' down. Also, gettin' into some snow at the higher elevations by about now. OJ

Boleslav
08-28-2006, 08:24 PM
thank you for your reply, we have done this trip few years ago, combined it with the visit to St. Elmo/Mary Murpy/Alpine Tunnel.
This time our hopes are to go more southwest to the area of Ourya/Telluride/Silverton for up to 2 weeks.

Mustang John
08-29-2006, 03:52 AM
The San Juans are a really beautiful and historic area. The week after Labor Day, in 1988, I took a commercial Jeep Tour out of Ouray. I believe the company was San Juan Scenic Tours. It was a day-trip. It started out up Engineer Mountain and circled around through Animas Forks, where we had a minor break-down. We had lunch in Silverton and they switched Jeeps there. After lunch, we continued the loop through the Red Mountain area. Even saw a few sheepherders up there. I remember seeing remnants of mining camps, mines, head-frames, mills and a tram-way. The tour guide was knowledgeable about the terrain and history about the area. He also carried a book on the area with lots of good, historical photos. This was a great way to see these back-roads.

OJ is correct. Mesa Verde is a must-see. It is such a solemn feeling walking among these dwellings and thinking about how these people must have lived their lives. The scenery and the plant and animal life are incredible.

Also, if you have the time, ride the Durango-Silverton train over the old Rio Grande line out of Durango. This scenery is also wonderful and you can really get the feel of what train travel was like in the 1880's.

Mikejts
08-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Hello,
We plan to travel to the SW Colorado in 10 days, I have searched through the pictures on ghosttowns.com, but there is so many to see.
We like to compbine the hiking, camping in the National Forest primitive sites with the visits of the ghost towns/sites. Can you recommend any sites that may fit the ciretia for the area of Ouray, Silverton, Telluride? Thank you.

Got lot's of recommendations - Alta - Dunton - Animas Forks - Lake City etc etc etc. Look at some of the GT on my site. Alta is a favorite of mine and if you want to hike and camp plenty of places. It is near Telluride.

old judge
08-29-2006, 03:18 PM
With due deference to others, Rocky would have my nod as the first source. OJ

LauraA
08-29-2006, 05:45 PM
lots of long bumpy roads there.

Mikejts
08-29-2006, 05:59 PM
With due deference to others, Rocky would have my nod as the first source. OJ

OJ - I appreciate the vote of confidence. As you know, I am rather stingy with my advice. I prefer to preserve the Ghost Towns - Not vandalize them.

Boleslav
08-30-2006, 11:09 AM
I hear you, that's why we prefer to hike to the old sites/ghost towns as we believe doing so we will have less damaging impact on the environment and the sites than to drive right up to them in the car or ATV.
Thank you for the advices on Mesa Verde- have been there twice but never in Telluride and Ouray.
We did ride the train from Durango to Silverton, too, what a beauty!

old judge
08-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Rocky: As I try to convince young lawyers, a picture is worth a thousand words. Unfortunately, they still think they're bein' paid by the word. But anyone who simply wants advice on where to go in Colorado should start by looking at the pictures on your website. It don't git much more informative than that. Ahhhhhh. OJ

Mikejts
08-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Rocky: As I try to convince young lawyers, a picture is worth a thousand words. Unfortunately, they still think they're bein' paid by the word. But anyone who simply wants advice on where to go in Colorado should start by looking at the pictures on your website. It don't git much more informative than that. Ahhhhhh. OJ

40FORDJIM
05-23-2007, 02:00 PM
I checked with the Visitor Centers in Telluride and Silverton and found that the ghost town of Alta, Colorado is on private land. They say you can drive by or to it but can not enter the town on foot.
Another Ghost Town gone.....SAD !!!

Mikejts
09-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Just back a couple weeks ago from Silverton / Lake city. Meant to tell you what happened. I was standing on top of Hurricane Pas and a guy road up on a motorcycle. I discovered he lives and works in Telluride. Claims he has been there for 15 years. He is a bartender at the two main bars in Telluride. I asked him what he knew about Alta and he just shook his head and said, "My boss owns it." Actually not his boss but his bosses holding company. He claims the plan is to improve and pave the road all the way to Alta Lakes and start selling lots. He feels as wonderful about it as we do.

Funny who you run into at 12,000 feet.