PDA

View Full Version : Brian 10x saved from life of sin PT1

brian10x
09-26-2006, 05:57 AM
As many of you know, I was a poster here for awhile, posting details from my many ghost town adventures.

Unfortunately, I became somewhat of a pariah due to my somewhat disgusting and perverted lifestyle, not to mention socially unacceptable use of certain bodily wastes.

A few of you did not give up on me. Laura, and her husband Ralph, found me living in squalor, unbathed and working odd jobs for topo maps.

At first, I resisted their attempts to bring me out of my stupor:

brian10x
09-26-2006, 06:05 AM
They succeeded where others have failed by offering a trip to find the Bluebird mine if I sobered up and bathed.

It was an offer too good to refuse. I found the clean desert air to be envigorating and the desert intoxicating.

After climbing down an impossibly rocky trail, we came across what we think is a miner's cabin, hopefully close to the Bluebird.

brian10x
09-26-2006, 06:09 AM
Just across the hill from the cabin was a good sized hole in the mountain, with ore cart tracks leading out of it, but we all agreed it was too small to be the elusive Bluebird.

brian10x
09-26-2006, 06:17 AM
After intense study of our maps, we decided to zig left instead of zag right.

Unfortunately, due to nearly disasterous equipment malfunctions I had to leave, and Laura and Ralph, being the good people they are, came with me to assure my safe passage.

However, peeking out from around the mountain was a mysterious and fairly modern steel shack. On the way back, we could also see a very large chute and Laura saw older, wooden building beyond that.

We think that has to be the elusive Bluebird of (our) happiness.

Prepare yourself for some great pictures from Laura-they will find it on the next trip. That I am sure of.

brian10x
09-26-2006, 06:21 AM
In conclusion, I'd like to thank those that have stood by me as I was pilloried in this public forum, and to apologize to those I have offended.

I will try to use better judgement in the future.

For those who can't or won't accept my apology, this is for you:

NWNative
09-26-2006, 06:34 AM
I'm glad to see you back.

old judge
09-26-2006, 07:02 AM
He stands in indignation, a bone for the whole dang nation. Alas, alack. Ol' Brian is back. Same age, IQ and occupation........OJ:D

coolguy0621
09-26-2006, 07:17 AM
Right on Brian good luck with your search.......

brian10x
09-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Right on Brian good luck with your search.......

Thank you, but the Bluebird is Laura's baby. I'm just tagging along.

LauraA
09-26-2006, 02:25 PM
Welcome back Brian. Glad you made it home safely! Poor fella, there he was standing along side the road holding a sign, "Will work for topo maps"...how could we resist?
After Brian left yesterday, we decided to drive back up to Greenback Valley today but decided against making another stab at the Bluebird since the morning temperatures were already nearing the mid 90s. We'll wait until the dog days are over and then don our hiking boots for the trek. It's going to take some scrambling to get into the canyon of the Bluebird and as Brian will attest, the road leading in is a pure bear. Now that it's within sight and reach (almost) it gets even more tantalizing.
By the way, not to spoil Brian's image or anything, but he was a delightful guest and a pure gentleman.

This is the Bluebird ore shute seen in the distance. It's a big one! There are a few structures to the right of the shute that can't be seen in the photo

This is a shot of Brian taken from one of the Bluebird's adits

A few repairs at Brian and Ralph's Trail Garage

Yep, it's humble me...err I
overlooking Tonto Basin not far from the Bluebird

Goat
09-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Good to see you back Brian! You were the first person I thought about when I read this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103062&highlight=Rokon . I thought they quit making them 30 years ago.

How's the search for the Black Diamond going, anyway?

Goat

High Desert Drifter
09-26-2006, 03:24 PM
Hey Brian,

Nice to have you back. I'll drink one slurpee for you. looks like you need to try and get that beat up VW back on E-bay and dump the Sami!!!

By the way, don't feel too ashamed about the "will work for Topo Maps" ordeal, I have sunk as far as licking empty slurpee cups from the trash can out in front of the local 7-11.

brian10x
09-26-2006, 04:17 PM
Good to see you back Brian! You were the first person I thought about when I read this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103062&highlight=Rokon . I thought they quit making them 30 years ago.

How's the search for the Black Diamond going, anyway?

Goat
After that Zuki eating trail with Laura and Ralph, I feel pretty confident in taking another stab at the "backdoor to certain death" to BD. First, I need to install a limited slip unit in the rear, this weekend.

Thank you, good to be back.

brian10x
09-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Hey Brian,

Nice to have you back. I'll drink one slurpee for you. looks like you need to try and get that beat up VW back on E-bay and dump the Sami!!!

By the way, don't feel too ashamed about the "will work for Topo Maps" ordeal, I have sunk as far as licking empty slurpee cups from the trash can out in front of the local 7-11.

Thank you, its great to be back. I've been working all day on little Sammi, and by this weekend,it should be ready for almost anything.

LauraA
09-26-2006, 07:05 PM
After that Zuki eating trail with Laura and Ralph, I feel pretty confident in taking another stab at the "backdoor to certain death" to BD. First, I need to install a limited slip unit in the rear, this weekend.

Thank you, good to be back.

That trail will chomp the best of vehicles...put it this way, we're really glad we put our new gas tank skid plate on when we did, we've got some new scars underneath the Jeep that weren't there before. Now if we can just find a Jeep parachute to help us in case there's a problem on some of those high tippy places. :eek:

Pnx Jay
09-26-2006, 08:26 PM
OK, now I'm getting a little anxious to get out on the trail. Since the last time I had the Scout out 'for real' I added front and rear lockers and 33's instead of 31's. Got the wheel bearings in but I still need to get some loose ends tied.
I am happy you folks say its too hot. If'in you are sweatin in a modern truck multiply it times ten in my old junk; no carpet or any insulation of any type.
Question: Why do fellows lacking in the hair department not wear hats??:D:D I got a full head of hair and I wear a hat outside all the time, **** AZ sun will sun burn your scalp through the roof of a truck. If 'in you folks don't own any hats I can show you how to whip up some real nice ones out of tin foil. I wear mine........ well I better not say when I wear them here on the board, they may be watching!!!:eek:.
Nice work hunting down the BD mine so far. I really want to see what you find over the hill!

Jay

LauraA
09-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Jay, and if the heat doesn't get you the rattlers will. When we were all there at the cabin, we heard a rattle warning, but we didn't locate the source. The best time is winter when they're hibernating and sluggish.
I'm going to show my husband your post about wearing a hat, nagging does no good. (between he and Brian, the reflection was enough to blind a person that day) :D :cool: :rolleyes:

brian10x
09-26-2006, 08:36 PM
OK, now I'm getting a little anxious to get out on the trail. Since the last time I had the Scout out 'for real' I added front and rear lockers and 33's instead of 31's. Got the wheel bearings in but I still need to get some loose ends tied.
I am happy you folks say its too hot. If'in you are sweatin in a modern truck multiply it times ten in my old junk; no carpet or any insulation of any type.
Question: Why do fellows lacking in the hair department not wear hats??:D:D I got a full head of hair and I wear a hat outside all the time, **** AZ sun will sun burn your scalp through the roof of a truck. If 'in you folks don't own any hats I can show you how to whip up some real nice ones out of tin foil. I wear mine........ well I better not say when I wear them here on the board, they may be watching!!!:eek:.
Nice work hunting down the BD mine so far. I really want to see what you find over the hill!

Jay
Jay,
Since I started shaving (whats left of) my head (or hair, actually) I don't like the feeling of anything on my head. I wear a hat sometimes in the desert, but mosty I just rub suntan lotion (female volunteers apply here) on the ole' noggin'.

I feel your pain. Driving the Zuke is like being inside a tin can as some kid plays kick the can with it. Beats the heck out of falling off an ATV, though.

brian10x
09-26-2006, 08:41 PM
[ we heard a rattle warning, but we didn't locate the source.

Its easier to carry a pistol, but with all the snakes, I may start bringing the old 12ga. next trip.
Yes, its old west authentic. Thats important for us gun nuts.

(between he and Brian, the reflection was enough to blind a person that day) :D :cool: :rolleyes: [/quote]

Oooh, bad Laura! bad!

LauraA
09-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Oooh, bad Laura! bad!

-------------

Moi? 435

Vulture
09-27-2006, 03:11 PM
As many of you know, I was a poster here for awhile, posting details from my many ghost town adventures.

Unfortunately, I became somewhat of a pariah due to my somewhat disgusting and perverted lifestyle, not to mention socially unacceptable use of certain bodily wastes.

A few of you did not give up on me. Laura, and her husband Ralph, found me living in squalor, unbathed and working odd jobs for topo maps.

At first, I resisted their attempts to bring me out of my stupor:

Maybe I'm in a stupor. I thought this was an information forum, not a reformatory.

bad bob
09-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Hrumph..
typical post from an intolerant pinhead. If you had been tuned in to the Guillotine events of about 3 weeks ago, you might have understood.
BTW, the previous posts ARE considered information. Take a deep breath, and try to keep from exploding.
bb.

old judge
09-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Yeah.. Vulture's in a stupor. Fugitaboudit. OJ

Vulture
09-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Yeah.. Vulture's in a stupor. Fugitaboudit. OJ

You are a prickly little prick, aint ya?

brian10x
09-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Maybe I'm in a stupor. I thought this was an information forum, not a reformatory.

I feel your pain, brother. I spent many a day in a stupor.

Please believe me, there is a way to get that monkey off your back. With me, it was kind words of encouragement.

I know this may not be the right forum for this, but if you are having problems, you have friends here that want to help.

brian10x
09-27-2006, 07:43 PM
Hrumph..
typical post from an intolerant pinhead. If you had been tuned in to the Guillotine events of about 3 weeks ago, you might have understood.
BTW, the previous posts ARE considered information. Take a deep breath, and try to keep from exploding.
bb.

Bob, I know your intentions are good, but as someone who once suffered mental and emotional trauma, I can plainly see when a brother is crying out for help.

Now lets talk about ghost towns everybody!

brian10x
09-27-2006, 07:46 PM
You are a prickly little prick, aint ya?

Mr. Vulture, no matter what you do or say, God still loves you.

Now lets talk about ghost towns everybody!

bad bob
09-27-2006, 07:50 PM
I respectfully offer to volunteer tutoring Buzzard with "adjustments".
bb.

old judge
09-28-2006, 05:02 AM
Vulture: I am so sorry I offended you. Don't want to damage your emotional balance. Besides, I made a vow some tome back to stop responding to idiots, so please disregard this, and my former post. OJ

Vulture
09-28-2006, 09:18 AM
Vulture: I am so sorry I offended you. Don't want to damage your emotional balance. Besides, I made a vow some tome back to stop responding to idiots, so please disregard this, and my former post. OJ

"Now there's a man with an open mind, you can feel the breeze from here." Thank you OJ, its an honor to meet a man who places such high value on his vow.

As for the twin pantloads, I couldn't think of anything kind to say, so...

bad bob
10-04-2006, 05:43 PM
"Now there's a man with an open mind, you can feel the breeze from here." Thank you OJ, its an honor to meet a man who places such high value on his vow.

As for the twin pantloads, I couldn't think of anything kind to say, so...

After a week's deliberation Buzz, have you thought of anything yet?
bb.

old judge
10-09-2006, 10:40 AM
As I recover, Vulture, from a bad weekend of Football, I feel the need to respond to your post. You were right, and I was wrong. Now, that said, I've changed my mind. I will, on occasion, respond to idiots. But I will attempt to do so with the proper judicial consideration, and decorum. I have considered, and now respond, as decorously as I can. KISS MY A$$. OJ

LauraA
10-09-2006, 11:44 AM
....and to help facilitate OJ's fine suggestion here ya go Buzz

High Desert Drifter
10-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Yea Buzz, as Hamid at the local 7-11 used to say, "May a thousand camels spit in your cola slurpee" *** bite.

who the **** is Buzz?

bad bob
10-10-2006, 09:46 PM
LMAO Drifter
Buzz is jes short fer Buzzard/Vulture.

I guess he's OK, we jes hecklin' he a bit.

Flatiron
10-12-2006, 07:09 PM
That's more like it OJ! I was starting to wonder if you had taken a court mandated Anger Manangement class. Whew!:p

GaryB
10-19-2006, 12:12 AM
Hey Laura, you might already know this, but your Blue Bird Mine is listed as one of the largest producers of Fluorspar(fluorite) in Arizona. Came across that tid bit putting some info together for my club run this weekend.

LauraA
10-19-2006, 04:04 AM
Hey Laura, you might already know this, but your Blue Bird Mine is listed as one of the largest producers of Fluorspar(fluorite) in Arizona. Came across that tid bit putting some info together for my club run this weekend.

Gary, Are you sure it's the same Bluebird? There were several mines in Arizona named the Bluebird. I know "my" Bluebird did begin as a Fluorite mine, and it's my understanding that at the time, Azurite was more profitable so when they found Azurite they mined it instead. Also, from what I've been able to find, some Copper and Turquoise was also mined in the same location in later years. My Bluebird is located in the mountains just above the Tonto Basin area in the Tonto National Forest. Where did you find your information? I'm always looking for more information about the Bluebird.

Flatiron
10-19-2006, 09:07 AM
Laura.............I'm pretty sure it's not "your" Bluebird Mine, but what do you know about the Bluebird Mine just west of Miami/Globe/Claypool ? ........:confused:

GaryB
10-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Actually, it just said the Blue Bird mine of AZ. Not very definite location or anything. I didn't know there were so many, must be your version of our "Cherry Creek's" :D

LauraA
10-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Laura.............I'm pretty sure it's not "your" Bluebird Mine, but what do you know about the Bluebird Mine just west of Miami/Globe/Claypool ? ........:confused:

There's a very small Turquoise mine named Bluebird in Claypool, it's on private property behind the owners trailer, right next to his big mean Pit Bull.
Then there's the Bluebird mine near Goldfield on the Apache Trail, there's also another one in Pima County.
"My" Bluebird is located within the Globe-Miami District,(for Arizona Dept. of Mines classification) although it's located in the Greenback Creek area. It seems that if the mineral mined was blue in color, they freely used the name Bluebird.
Do you know of another one?

widleewidleewaa
10-19-2006, 01:04 PM
There is a bluebird mine just outside of the globe area on the highway between Globe and Phoenix

LauraA
10-19-2006, 01:12 PM
There is a bluebird mine just outside of the globe area on the highway between Globe and Phoenix
I've seen that one too. If I'm not mistaken, that's part of the Phelps Dodge mining operation and is one of the leachfields from one of their copper mines.
This pdf file mentions it under "scenic attractions"
http://www.azcommerce.com/doclib/COMMUNE/globe-miami.pdf (http://www.azcommerce.com/doclib/COMMUNE/globe-miami.pdf)

LauraA
11-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Our forest ranger buddy found this. This is the cabin pictured on page one of this thread. Even though it's be "remodeled" a few times since 1890, it's neat to be able to put faces with our explorations...especially faces of the original miners at The Blue Bird Mine.

photo credit:
Sharlot Hall Museum Archives

old judge
11-02-2006, 02:32 PM
I have put my Sherlock Holmes magnifying glass to both pics, and, even given a bunch of remodeling, I don't think it's the same cabin. I will stake my reputation for forensic excellence on my opinion. OJ

LauraA
11-02-2006, 02:42 PM
*Same hillside, doors and windows moved. It's got aluminum some siding on it now.
Check out the link. :)

Arizona Memory Project : Item Viewer (http://azmemory.lib.az.us/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/shmining&CISOPTR=147&REC=1)

*Disclaimer:
Given OJ's Sherlock Holmes magnifying glass, I am basing my opinion on that of the Forest Service and Sharlot Hall's Archives. I do have to agree with OJ, the cabin doesn't look exactly the same, the roof pitch for one thing is off, however this photo is attributed to the Blue Bird and the hillside looks exactly the same. Could it be this "newer" cabin was errected on the same site as the older one? :confused:

old judge
11-03-2006, 08:15 AM
Yeah... The roof pitch definitely appears off, and the apparent orientation looks wrong.....Could be newer cabin, same site...OJ