PDA

View Full Version : Gold mine report and questions.

LauraA
09-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Following a mining map from The Arizona Department of Mines & Minerals we found a mine named Quartz Ledge Mine. It was evidentially in operation in recent years (1971-1973) We were told by locals a "reasonable" amount of gold was found, but nobody seemed to know how much or what the circumstances were. The area is loaded with large white quartz outcroppings and from information we found online about the mine, it was a "Sheer Zone" mine. There was a lot of dirt and quartz piled all over the ground, but we didn't climb down any further into the canyon to see if there was an actual mine adit. Can someone please define what a "sheer zone" means? Below are a few pictures we took of the location. Can anyone enlighten me please on what we're looking at or what we should be looking for in a location like this one? Would there be an adit somewhere that we should be looking for or is this just a case of digging up the ground looking for gold?

These are pictures of the quartz outcroppings and piles scattered all around the area.

There were several of these fuzzy critters in the area...maybe security guards!

Kelly
09-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Laura,
Nice pics:)
Check out those quartz out croping with a metal detector real good. Look in the washes by them for exposed bedrock and take the dirt off them with small shovel and wisk broom and put it in a bucket to pan out. If you can find a claim marker out there with the claim papers in it write down the number and go to this site to look it up for more info on the mine. That site will tell you if the claim is active or not and a lot more.

http://www.blm.gov/lr2000/codes.htm

Here is anothe site where you can look up claims on a map and find out more about them.
http://www.geocommunicator.gov/GeoComm/index.shtm

LauraA
09-27-2006, 07:05 PM
Thanks Kelly, that's exactly what I'm looking for. :) Do you have any idea what a "sheer zone" means in mining terms? Do you think there might be an adit there somewhere or would this be a place where they dug around checking the quartz outcroppings?

Kelly
09-27-2006, 07:16 PM
Laura,
Shear zone
. A tabular zone of rock that has been crushed and brecciated by many parallel fractures due to shear strain. Such an area is often mineralized by ore-forming solutions. I bet they where just digging around the quartz looking for a vien. Might just be a adit there, check it out real good. Here is a link for mining terms.

http://xmlwords.infomine.com/xmlwords.htm

LauraA
09-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks again Kelly, you're a wealth of golden knowledge! ;)
I think we'll head out there again tomorrow armed with the metal detector and a bucket.

Kelly
09-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Good luck out there, and I hope you find a nugget.;)

brian10x
09-27-2006, 07:30 PM
Laura,
Nice pics:)
Check out those quartz out croping with a metal detector real good. Look in the washes by them for exposed bedrock and take the dirt off them with small shovel and wisk broom and put it in a bucket to pan out. If you can find a claim marker out there with the claim papers in it write down the number and go to this site to look it up for more info on the mine. That site will tell you if the claim is active or not and a lot more.

http://www.blm.gov/lr2000/codes.htm

Here is anothe site where you can look up claims on a map and find out more about them.
http://www.geocommunicator.gov/GeoComm/index.shtm

If you don't mind me asking, what does a claim marker look like, and where would these papers be found?

Kelly
09-28-2006, 04:52 AM
Brian,
claim markers are just rocks stacked up about 2 to 3 feet high, some have a pipe or wood stick, sticking up out of it. The claim papers will be in a old can or jar inside the pile of rocks. Just make sure to put the papers back after you look at them

brian10x
09-28-2006, 05:36 AM
Brian,
claim markers are just rocks stacked up about 2 to 3 feet high, some have a pipe or wood stick, sticking up out of it. The claim papers will be in a old can or jar inside the pile of rocks. Just make sure to put the papers back after you look at them

Thank you! I've seen those piles of rocks near holes in the ground. Now I know what they are!

LauraA
09-28-2006, 07:46 AM
Here's a couple of pictures, one of a claim marker and one of a claim certificate. The usual ones are as Kelly said, piles of stones with a stick or pipe in the center. Of course, we seen cairns left behind by ranchers marking their boundaries that look like mine markers too.

LauraA
10-09-2006, 12:52 PM
We went back to Quartz Ledge Gold Mine yesterday with another couple for backup. They in their Jeep, us in ours'. It turned out to be a successful excursion because our friend Jerry took off hiking with his trusty pooch and found the adit. It was an impressive structure with a well-built stone wall entrance leading to the actual adit. The rails leading from the mine were the heaviest we'd ever seen, leading us to speculate of the size and weight of the oar cars it carried. There were some bent iron ruins scattered about the area. Unfortunately, the mine itself isn't accessible it was either collapsed near the entrance or purposely caved in. If someone really wanted to take the chance, there were still openings amid the rubble but it would be risky to say the least.
We took our metal detector, but it went crazy with signals all over the areas my husband swept, there appears to be a lot of iron ore present, so it wasn't very conducive to good metal detecting. There's probably "gold in them thar hills," but it'll take some real searching to hit it lucky.

collapsed adit

some cement block ruins near the entrance to the mine area

Part of the heavy rails
(there were more leading from the mine)

Iron ruins, I don't know what it was.

LauraA
10-09-2006, 01:00 PM
and here's a few more pictures...

This stone and block wall ran down both sides and then across the entrance leading to the adit

No clue what this might have been

This friendly Walking Stick decided to hitch a ride with Jean & Jerry

widleewidleewaa
10-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Neat pictures, too bad you couldnt find any gold.

LauraA
10-09-2006, 04:47 PM
We haven't given up YET and we STILL buy lottery tickets ;)

Kelly
10-09-2006, 06:05 PM
I sure like seeing old mining stuff like that. Thanks for posting the pics.:D

speedy
10-10-2006, 06:54 AM
Laura,.....Great pics....Thank you for sharing.....Speedy