PDA

View Full Version : Old Glory mine, near Ruby, AZ

brian10x
09-27-2006, 06:51 PM
I made a second attempt at finding the Old Glory today. I got instructions from:
http://www.azghosttowns.com/towns/oldglory.html

I spent most of the day trying all the trails in the general direction my GPS coordinates said to go.

I tried to follow the web site directions religiously. Could never find FSR 4191, and I went DEEP this time.

I backed up web info with topo maps purchased locally, factored approximate mileage, but no trails where they should be.

Has anyone here been to the mine? Care to share some tips? I'll share 60/40 if I find buried loot!

The folowing picture was taken at 430pm. Tired, beat up and miles from no where. This is for Laura (I know you are reading this)

See, I wear a hat sometimes!
Caption: How am I supposed to find a Slimfast out here?

LauraA
09-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Hey I can take off my sunglasses now Brian, no more glare! :cool: Is that your mean look? (I know better now but I won't spoil your reputation ;) )
Glad to see the Sami out exploring again.
We tried to find Camp Reno using the directions on the GT site, it's not where they said it was either. We found it using the forest service map.

brian10x
09-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Hey I can take off my sunglasses now Brian, no more glare! :cool: Is that your mean look? (I know better now but I won't spoil your reputation ;) )
We tried to find Camp Reno using the directions on the GT site, it's not where they said it was either. We found it using the forest service map.

Thats my tired and hungry look. At this point in the trip its
3 hours home, at least 2 hours on rocks. Dang I hate rocks!

widleewidleewaa
09-28-2006, 04:30 PM

I had same problem finding that place. I eventualy found the spot, but there was nothing there to see.

LauraA
09-28-2006, 05:16 PM
Welcome to the GT forum Widleewidleewaa!

The actual site of Camp Reno isn't in the spot where the Forest Service has it marked with a sign. (FR 409) It's on a mesa overlooking that spot on the road that goes over Reno Pass (FR 524).
The spot the FS has erroneously marked was actually a small settlement where there was a small group of houses, a general store and a spring. The remains of Camp Reno are a bit hard to locate, all that's left are stone foundations.
To the south, about 1/2 mile from the real Camp Reno site is a small cemetery near the foothills which was connected with the camp, it's a nice cold weather hike.

brian10x
09-28-2006, 05:59 PM

I bought a forest service map today, scanned it, and penciled in my route. It looks really simple. Since the forest service roads are marked on the map,it will be a lot easier next time, I hope.

Funny thing is, the directions say Old Glory is on fsr 4191, but its no where near the mine. The map expert at the store verified that. Looks like I'll be trying fsr 4162 next trip.

I tried to send a bigger copy, but this is as good as I can do.

Pnx Jay
09-28-2006, 06:43 PM
The actual site of Camp Reno isn't in the spot where the Forest Service has it marked with a sign. (FR 409) It's on a mesa overlooking that spot on the road that goes over Reno Pass (FR 524).
The spot the FS has erroneously marked was actually a small settlement where there was a small group of houses, a general store and a spring. The remains of Camp Reno are a bit hard to locate, all that's left are stone foundations.
To the south, about 1/2 mile from the real Camp Reno site is a small cemetery near the foothills which was connected with the camp, it's a nice cold weather hike.

I am no archaeologist, but I thought the Camp Reno site marked with the sign was fishy. There is a whole lot of concrete there and if I remember some threaded piping too. That didn't jive with the years given (1850s or 1860s??) for when the supposed camp was in operation. Most cities didn't use that much concrete back then and they certainly wouldn't haul it all the way to the middle of the desert!
Great, now one of the ghost towns I thought I visited really wasn't what I thought it was!!!:rolleyes:

Jay

LauraA
09-28-2006, 07:28 PM
Yep Jay, we thought it was fishy too that's why we looked further. The site that's wrongly marked Camp Reno was in operation as a settlement and general store all the way up until 1915 that's why the threaded pipe and concrete.
Camp Reno was only in existence from 1868 to 1870 because the high cost of hauling supplies over Reno Pass made it economically unfeasible to keep it open. The good thing to come out of it was the road (Reno Pass) from Fort McDowell to the Tonto Basin which was built to have direct access from the main fort to Camp Reno. The road hasn't changed much since then (wow they didn't even have lockers and skids back then):D
The directions on the Ghost Town site are incorrect and should be changed. People looking for it by following those directions wouldn't find even the wrong location.

Pnx Jay
09-28-2006, 08:03 PM
I went up to Payson last month and the gate for Reno Pass trail from the Beeline side was still locked :(. Fire restrictions were off by then, what gives? I ran that trail once about 3 years ago. It was fun. I am really glad the drop off was on my wifes side of the truck. There is one spot on the Tonto Basin of the pass that is about two inches wider than the tire width of my truck. One side is a vertical rock face striaght up and the other is a 300 ft, 89 degree vertigo city drop :eek::eek::eek:. I'll have to check out the "real" Fort Reno next time I get around there, if there is anything to see.

Jay

LauraA
09-28-2006, 08:20 PM
The fire restrictions are lifted, but there's not much left of the road, complete washouts from what we've been told. The wash on the Tonto side is about 8 feet deep at the crossing. The gate at Bushnell Tanks is still locked, but the Tonto side is open...what happens if someone goes from the Tonto side to the Bushnell Tanks side and then can't get out? It's a case of two different forest service districts not coordinating what each other is doing.
If you're into metal detecting, Camp Reno is a good site, not much else left but rock foundations, but since it's not the officially designated historical site, metal detecting is ok. (we asked and were told to go for it by the rangers)
SRP is running some new underground lines up FR 524 (Reno Pass) and using a bulldozer along the way, so I think they'll probably repair the wash pretty soon.

Johnnie
10-13-2006, 07:59 AM
The fire restrictions are lifted, but there's not much left of the road, complete washouts from what we've been told. The wash on the Tonto side is about 8 feet deep at the crossing. The gate at Bushnell Tanks is still locked, but the Tonto side is open...what happens if someone goes from the Tonto side to the Bushnell Tanks side and then can't get out? It's a case of two different forest service districts not coordinating what each other is doing.
If you're into metal detecting, Camp Reno is a good site, not much else left but rock foundations, but since it's not the officially designated historical site, metal detecting is ok. (we asked and were told to go for it by the rangers)
SRP is running some new underground lines up FR 524 (Reno Pass) and using a bulldozer along the way, so I think they'll probably repair the wash pretty soon.

Laura, did you guys, ever try medal detecting Camp Reno, As you menioned it does sound like a great place to start searching.

A old neighbor of ours from here in California,that migrated to Mesa, Arizona about 18 years ago loved medal Detecing and years back, Ernie, told us that Army Forts, could turn a lot of neat stuff like old shell caseings, old Belt buckels, old coins maybe an old muzzel loaders.

Another friend of ours found a old "****" muzzel loader 50 years ago quite by chance in Pasadena when he was planting a tree for a customer very close to Colorado and Rosemead Blvd. We wonder the story behind that old rusted up "****" pistol could it belong to a lawman or more likly an
outlaw while he was trying to rob a stage and was caught in the act.

And another friend of ours found a 1866 winchester out in Simi Valley, when he was working on a new housing tract also quite by chance with skip loader.

And another fellow that we meet at the famouse Rose Bowl Swapp Meet, told us he was working on a new housing tract in Montelbello Caifornia found some old Cannon Balls, whitch must have came from a battle with Mexico, Soliders, in the 1850s when Freemont and his men were working their way into Southern California.

Treasure Hunting sure has always peek our intrest.:cool:

Your fellow ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila

LauraA
10-13-2006, 01:43 PM
Yes, we did metal detect at the Camp Reno site and surrounding areas but didn't find anything even close to the treasures you describe. We found 3 horse shoes, a very rusty, cog type wheel that we believe was from a horse drawn "machine" used to drill wells, 5 hand hewn square nails and a suspender clip. It took us about 6 hours in the hot sun to find our "treasures", but the suspense of waiting to hear the bleeeep hummmm from our detector made it all the more exciting. (we're not counting pop-tops, spent shotgun shells, rusty cans and other junk as treasures)
Someday we'd like to go over the Reno Pass and do some detecting along the road, but first I've got to work through my absolute sheer terror of high, tippy roads with 300 foot drop offs. :eek:

Johnnie
10-14-2006, 07:15 AM
Yes, we did metal detect at the Camp Reno site and surrounding areas but didn't find anything even close to the treasures you describe. We found 3 horse shoes, a very rusty, cog type wheel that we believe was from a horse drawn "machine" used to drill wells, 5 hand hewn square nails and a suspender clip. It took us about 6 hours in the hot sun to find our "treasures", but the suspense of waiting to hear the bleeeep hummmm from our detector made it all the more exciting. (we're not counting pop-tops, spent shotgun shells, rusty cans and other junk as treasures)
Someday we'd like to go over the Reno Pass and do some detecting along the road, but first I've got to work through my absolute sheer terror of high, tippy roads with 300 foot drop offs. :eek:

Metal Detecting is a great hobbie but the big rewards are few and far between we have found a few old coins and some tokens and old few old bolts from an Buckboard, up in the vicinity of the old ghost town of Eldolradville

But the only real luck we had was finding tokens, and coins, were found in the dirt beside the pave roads in old neighborhoods and the local parks and our local beaches.

But we have collected old maps that would help anyone out coin shooting, and we have studied old photographs that are a big help also.

When you can detect old carnival sites, that are still vacant lots are very good place to start.

Checking over old newpapers, are a big help also.

Also There is a ghost town we hope to check someday, is "Weepaa" Nevada,

We have some old photos that show that it was a mostly a tent city in the 1920s and by looking at the photos we have, and the hills, and some of the old landmarks in the photogaps you can pinpoint just were the streets and tents were laid out.

Most of the great finds we heard of were quite by chance but if a person does a lot of homework one is bound to find something of great value.

A lot of pioneers did not believe in banks, in the olden days so they hid their treasures around their homes, and ranches if it was outside theire house it was usually near a old landmark that would not change much, over many years such as an old oak tree, ect. ;)

Happy Hunting
Johnnie & Sheila

LauraA
10-14-2006, 07:47 AM
GREAT ideas Johnnie & Sheila!
Some of those locations I never would have thought of. Next time we go out treasure hunting, we'll be better prepared with some decent destinations in mind.
We always hope when we're at an old mining camp to locate their old dump site. I'm sure they all had at least one because it wouldn't have been practical to haul trash out of those remote locations.
Darnit, it's raining today and now I'm itching to get out and look for treasure! :)

old judge
10-14-2006, 08:12 AM
I'm so ashamed of my last post, I'm bumpin' it. I'd delete it, but my Bride ain't here, and the malamute's sick, and if I tried to delete it, I'm afraid I'd delete something important, like all my pics of ol' #8. OJ

LauraA
10-14-2006, 08:20 AM
It's easy to delete a post, there's no danger of deleting anything important. Just go to the culprit post, click on edit, then click "delete" you don't even need to put the reason why you're deleting it.
Poor pooch, he must have eaten too much pizza. ;)

old judge
10-14-2006, 08:30 AM
But Laura: Is it deleted from everyone's eyes..??? How about some o' these young computor hackers I keep hearin' about??? Bet they could find it, and then what?? I'll bet some are monitorin' this site this minute.... OH my goodness. How do I delete this??? Maybe it's this....no, maybe this button:eek:

LauraA
10-14-2006, 08:36 AM
HAHAHA! It's OK OJ.....better leave it alone 'til your lovely bride comes home or until someone posts a reply to the culprit post, whichever comes first.
NO NO don't push THAT button Arggggghhhhhh!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Johnnie
10-15-2006, 09:57 AM
But Laura: Is it deleted from everyone's eyes..??? How about some o' these young computor hackers I keep hearin' about??? Bet they could find it, and then what?? I'll bet some are monitorin' this site this minute.... OH my goodness. How do I delete this??? Maybe it's this....no, maybe this button:eek:

O J, and Laura, Thanks for doing your "Bit" And you (must not) "Acquit":D

J & S

Flatiron
10-15-2006, 03:33 PM
Laura.........If you're looking for old shell casings and the like, check out the site of the Skull Cave Massacre. I haven't been there, but a very reliable friend of mine has been there and recovered casings that were actually laying half buried in the ground. Who knows what else may be there to discover...:D

LauraA
10-15-2006, 03:42 PM
That's a good idea, but unfortunately it's a declared historic site, so no metal detecting is permitted (maybe under cover of darkness) ;) but then, maybe not, with a name like Skull Cave and the history of the place I'm not going at night. :eek: :D

National Register of Historical Places - ARIZONA (AZ), Maricopa County (http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/az/Maricopa/state6.html)

Johnnie
10-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Laura.........If you're looking for old shell casings and the like, check out the site of the Skull Cave Massacre. I haven't been there, but a very reliable friend of mine has been there and recovered casings that were actually laying half buried in the ground. Who knows what else may be there to discover...:D

Fellow Ghosttowners, Check out the on the Travel Channel
A S A P (2 hrs.) of nothing but finding treasures all over the
U. S. from California, to North Carolina,

My apoliogy not posting the info. sooner we too just happened to catch it to late also.

This program most likely be repeated check your Cable or Satalite program guide.

Your Fellow Treasure Hunters
Johnnie & Sheila

Johnnie
10-17-2006, 08:19 AM

Flatiron, What do you think about the ground around that tree where they found "Ringo"

I bet that area has been (Metal Detected) million times, or maybe not. What do you think should we give a try? :confused:
Johnnie & Sheila

old judge
10-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Flatiron: Did you ever check out that info on Ringo's grave? Curious if it was any help....OJ

JavelinaJ
02-05-2008, 06:56 AM
I'm a newbie; just now seeing the post re: wanting directions to Old Glory, AZ. Yell if you haven't found the place yet. I've been in there several times, as well as to the diggin's higher up on the hill.

brian10x
03-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks for posting about Old Glory.

When I was there, the road past the mill was almost impassable. The weeds were so high I couldn't see the drop off.

If I go back, I'll walk the trail. Is it very far past the mill? What is there to see?

Thanks
Brian

Gravelrash
03-20-2008, 01:11 AM
......with a name like Skull Cave and the history of the place.

Whooooaaaa, Laura....thank YOU. More research topics!

(If I come up short, can I bug you?)

.....around that tree where they found "Ringo"

Hmmmmmm. Not the drummer?

Paladin
03-20-2008, 03:18 AM
.....around that tree where they found "Ringo"

Hmmmmmm. Not the drummer?

Gravel- I believe they are refering to Johnny Ringo- a gunfighter and member of the gang known as "the cowboys". If you've ever seen the movie "Tombstone", Johnny Ringo is a key charecter. Definately NOT Ringo Starr;) :D

brian10x
03-20-2008, 06:35 AM
Gravel- I believe they are refering to Johnny Ringo- a gunfighter and member of the gang known as "the cowboys". If you've ever seen the movie "Tombstone", Johnny Ringo is a key charecter. Definately NOT Ringo Starr;) :D

Gravel is just being a wise guy. I HATE people like that.
~~~~~~~~~~

bad bob
03-20-2008, 09:37 AM
~~~~~~~~~~

No you don't. Quite the contrary.

Paladin
03-20-2008, 05:49 PM
~~~~~~~~~~
Ahh haa! A smart a$$, huh? Hahaha! I'll keep that in mind!;) :D

Gravelrash
03-25-2008, 10:55 AM

Paladin - I was just leg-pulling, but thanks for the extra information. I am the first to admit my knowledge of America's west is in constant need of expansion and updating.
I have seen EVERY Western the 3 video stores in our area stock, EVERY ONE! That means all 15!
The young generation have no interest.... and no idea.
Very hard to track down westerns here, in other words!
Wanna hear some serious sacrilege? I cannot get a copy of True Grit!

brian10x
03-25-2008, 04:34 PM
http://catalog.ebay.com/True-Grit_UPC_097361207742_W0QQ_fclsZ1QQ_fifptsZ1QQ_pid Z57618222QQ_tabZ2

Unless they don't ship to Australia, I forgot to check.

brian10x
03-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Here ya are, from EBay Australia:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TRUE-GRIT-JOHN-WAYNE-WESTERN-DVD-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ350037286508QQihZ022QQcategoryZ4178QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Practice your moves, pilgrim. When you get over here I'll hand you a real hogleg to shoot with.