PDA

View Full Version : Sites around Beatty & Rhyolite, NV.

GaryB
10-01-2006, 10:45 PM
http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

I did a pre-run for my 4X club around Beatty, NV known as the Bare Mtn. Circuit. It passes by the mines of Panama (active) Diamond Queen, Fluorspar, and numerous unnamed others. Afterward I stopped by Rhyolite (as it seems I have never been there some how) and heard personal stories about the regulars from my Father who was around that area often in the early 70's. The albums are titled Diamond Queen, Fluorspar, Bare Mtn. and Rhyolite.

LauraA
10-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Good stuff Gary, it took a while to download them on my slower than slow dial up connection, but the pictures were well worth the wait. It makes my mouth water to see some of those great locations.
I even viewed the pictures of your "kids" :D
Thanks!

High Desert Drifter
10-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Cool Pictures. was fun looking at them, especially now that it is raining outside and I am not looking forward to another winter which will slow down exploring progress.

Flatiron
10-03-2006, 03:55 AM
Gary.....Do you know when Bessie's Desert Rock Shop closed? I remember as a kid we went to Rhyolite and my dad bought me a chunk of Malachite that I just had to have. That would have been in the late 50's or early 60's, if I remember correctly. Once again, great pics! It makes me want to load up the Jeep and head out. ....:rolleyes:

GaryB
10-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Gary.....Do you know when Bessie's Desert Rock Shop closed? I remember as a kid we went to Rhyolite and my dad bought me a chunk of Malachite that I just had to have. That would have been in the late 50's or early 60's, if I remember correctly. Once again, great pics! It makes me want to load up the Jeep and head out. ....:rolleyes:

My Dad was there in the early 70's and she was still running it then. So likely, you guys bought it from her and/or her husband. She lost her husband between '65 (IIRC) and when he came back to delivering propane in that area. As far as he knows, they ran it from the from the beginning till she either passed away or was unfit to work, as he was last there around '74. He said she remembered him from the first time, even though it had been 8-10 years since they last saw each other. It was kind of a somber experience seeing her chair in her abandoned house. We didn't talk of it, but I think it got to my Dad too.

I was telling him he's going to stop going out with me as every where we go, he knew someone that's no longer there. But I think he really enjoys it, he's always eager to tag along when I have an empty seat :)