PDA

View Full Version : Just a word a caution

LauraA
10-10-2006, 08:33 AM
I've noticed lately we've got a few newbies, (sounding like teeny boppers) posting some rather cryptic links on various posts. Stuff like "check out my ghost pix, they're really weird"... you know the type. They appear to be from unknown domains and even doing a web search for them, I don't come up with anything. I would avoid clicking on links containing zyx, xrl or anything else that sounds or feels suspicious unless you're reasonably sure the poster is on the up and up. There's a lot of crud to be caught out there on the web. Most virus protection programs catch only a percentage of them at best so in my opinion, it's better to be safe than sorry.

brian10x
10-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks, Laura. It would be a darn shame to lose my temper again and put a .45 caliber hole through this monitor, as well.

GaryB
10-10-2006, 11:10 PM
I find entering spammers email addy's into other spammers email blanks to be a fun past time. Kind of like a Calgon bath :p

Goat
10-11-2006, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I reported one of these jerks a few days ago, through the triangle report this post icon, but I see he's still here.

Goat

coolguy0621
10-25-2006, 06:23 AM
Which one Goat?

Goat
10-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Devil9, Andy. I hit the report post icon, and sent in a message. If you click on his link (which I never do, but did), it takes you to some site where you become a "hitman" in his minions. I think that he must have made a lot of these posts on various forums to bump up his power on the game site or something, because he had a huge number of hits on it. He hasn't been back since, and I see he was just a kid in his profile. I was worried about gettin a virus, and checked my system, with no virus or malware found. No harm, no foul, he was just a kid playing a game.

Thanks Andy, I appreciate your work on here, it's gotta be tough, but you do a great job.

Goat

coolguy0621
10-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Problem solved

High Desert Drifter
10-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Problem solved

Excellent, now how do we petition a slurpee machine for the forum?

bad bob
10-25-2006, 09:30 PM
Excellent, now how do we petition a slurpee machine for the forum?

I know ya didn't ask me, but if I might suggest a typical petition to be circulated collecting member's names. After that, you're elected SSM
(slurpee station master), in charge of all related departments, including formulas, and shipping. Thanks Drifter, the great ideas you fellers come up with are jes plumb dadburned dandies.

GaryB
10-25-2006, 10:04 PM
Well first we have to do a study to see if it's feasible. Then a study to see if it's profitable (after all, we ain't paying for maintenance), followed by an EPA impact study. Building codes and permit enforcement, business licensing, right of way study, traffic study, soil compaction test and lastly the Sierra Club has to okay it, and PETA will have to make sure we don't harm any animals with it (they're still pissy about that Iguana getting a hold of a Mountain Dew Slurpee incident). So maybe sometime around 2009 we can once again address the issue after we get all the okay's, then we'll do a study on the studies. Then we'll vote on allowing it. Of course it will then have to be passed twice, 2 years apart by majority vote, and then we can see if it's in the budget for the fiscal calender. But only after the state tax assessor has set a fair and reasonable tax rate on it.

Can you tell I have a state job now? :)

NWNative
10-26-2006, 07:06 AM
Hey, are you advising the mayor here in Seattle? Some of those ideas are pretty familiar.

GaryB
10-26-2006, 12:16 PM
I think there's a book some where that government folk have to read to become literate on dealings with stupid easy stuff. In Vegas, they spent $8 million to study if building a pedestrian over pass was a good idea at one intersection. Never mind the staggering number of vehicular accidents at that intersection involving pedestrians each year. :rolleyes:

Now we have the Sierra Club fighting freeway expansion here. Something about it allowing more cars and more pollution. Wonder where they think all the pollution from the cars idling in traffic jams now goes at the end of the day :confused:

LauraA
10-26-2006, 08:12 PM
We can't install the Slurpee machine here until we grade the bumpy road. ;)

High Desert Drifter
10-26-2006, 09:19 PM
We can't install the Slurpee machine here until we grade the bumpy road. ;)

Sorry, I was thirsty...

LauraA
10-27-2006, 05:36 AM
Sorry, I was thirsty...
It's okay, nothing should come between a man and his Slurpees, especially 534 ;)

GaryB
10-27-2006, 11:27 AM
It's okay, nothing should come between a man and his Slurpees, especially 534 ;)

Or when you walk in and the **** red blinking "Mix Not Ready" light is on :mad:

GaryB
12-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Just to add another word of caution.

Do not, and I mean DO NOT respond to the spammers email you see on here. By email I mean if you look at their profile and see the "send email to" link. Many of the spammers have registration and sign up emails that will either earmark you for spam emails or log you into a website that likely has Trojans and Worms (virus's) ready to get into your PC system.

I doubt anyone is doing this, but just in case you thought about it, don't. Trust me.

That is all.