PDA

View Full Version : The buddy system

brian10x
10-13-2006, 08:32 PM
I was lying under my dead Sammi tonight (rear end work in process) thinking how disapointed I am in not getting out for a couple of weeks to explore the desert.

Then I started to wonder, how many guests and lurkers might me out there that would love to "get their ghost town boots wet" but can't, for one reason or another.

There was a time I owned a beat up old truck and was afraid of breaking down out there.

Not every one spends their spare time wrenchin' and wranglin' 4x4s in order to get out on the trails. Its no sin to own a Camry.

There might be some of you afraid of snakes or illegals, the hot sun or just getting lost way out there.

We all had to have a first time.

I am proposing a "buddy system" for ghost town newbies.

I'd like to be the first to extend an invitation to anyone in the Tucson or surrounding area that is ill-equipped or otherwise not ready to go ghost town exploring alone.

I am pretty much negotiable on places and times. Despite what I try to portray here, I am pretty ordinary, take few serious risks, and have a deep love of the old West.

If you are one of those lurkers I mentioned above, do a search on my posts and get a flavor for the sites I like to explore, and if that interests you, drop me a private email, and we can go from there. No hard feelings if you change your mind .

I'm asking all my fellow explorers out there to post similar invitations here. Newbies have to start somewhere, and we all know how addictive this hobby can be once you get started!

I know we joke around, sometimes bicker fiercely, but lets find some common ground for the good of the hobby.

I for one would love to respond to more real ghost town postings and fewer turnbullsh*t canyon postings, as fun as they can be sometimes.

The weather is cooling, and its becoming "ghost town season".

Who will be the first to join me inviting a new ghost towner to tag along on the trails?

Pnx Jay
10-13-2006, 08:55 PM
Definitely a good idea. The title of couch potato ghosttowner has been all too true lately. I have been having my share of vehicle issues and it has made me a little timid to get too far off the beaten path. My simple hub bearing repair has turned into a complete cooling system redo and body lift and steering brace. When and if I ever get my junk trustworthy again the wife and I are game for anything.
Brian, I was a little up in the air about you to begin with, but I gotta have faith in anyone who carries a single action wheel gun by choice :).
I just don't think I want to be the first to tag along. I want to see if someone else takes the dare and comes back to tell about it :rolleyes:.

Jay

LauraA
10-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Jay, My husband and I have been on the trail with Brian and we're hoping to do it again in the not too distant future when we fully explore our Bluebird Mine. When you're with Brian, you're VERY well protected! :D ;)
Good idea about the buddy system Brian. Problem with us is the Jeep holds only two (along with all the recovery gear stowed where the back seat used to be) We actually prefer two vehicles on the trail, just in case there's a problem in some of these really remote locations (like our Bluebird excursion)

GaryB
10-13-2006, 09:22 PM
Buddy system? Isn't that where you throw your buddy to the wolves so you can make haste to live another day? :p

Anyone in the Vegas area should check out www.nevadabackroaders.com (http://www.nevadabackroaders.com)
and they'll find me and others who do the same thing there.

bad bob
10-13-2006, 11:04 PM
I was lying under my dead Sammi tonight (rear end work in process) thinking how disapointed I am in not getting out for a couple of weeks to explore the desert.

Then I started to wonder, how many guests and lurkers might me out there that would love to "get their ghost town boots wet" but can't, for one reason or another.

There was a time I owned a beat up old truck and was afraid of breaking down out there.

Not every one spends their spare time wrenchin' and wranglin' 4x4s in order to get out on the trails. Its no sin to own a Camry.

There might be some of you afraid of snakes or illegals, the hot sun or just getting lost way out there.

We all had to have a first time.

I am proposing a "buddy system" for ghost town newbies.

I'd like to be the first to extend an invitation to anyone in the Tucson or surrounding area that is ill-equipped or otherwise not ready to go ghost town exploring alone.

I am pretty much negotiable on places and times. Despite what I try to portray here, I am pretty ordinary, take few serious risks, and have a deep love of the old West.

If you are one of those lurkers I mentioned above, do a search on my posts and get a flavor for the sites I like to explore, and if that interests you, drop me a private email, and we can go from there. No hard feelings if you change your mind .

I'm asking all my fellow explorers out there to post similar invitations here. Newbies have to start somewhere, and we all know how addictive this hobby can be once you get started!

I know we joke around, sometimes bicker fiercely, but lets find some common ground for the good of the hobby.

I for one would love to respond to more real ghost town postings and fewer turnbullsh*t canyon postings, as fun as they can be sometimes.

The weather is cooling, and its becoming "ghost town season".

Who will be the first to join me inviting a new ghost towner to tag along on the trails?

XLNT BRIAN ...Just when I was certain all the good ideas were used up, ya come up with another one. Gary's gott'em in Nevada...I think Rocky has something similar in Colorado...a few more from each state should 'bout cover 'em.
I'd help in CA, if I could guarantee everybody making the round trip, but psychopaths have so much pressure on them!!:eek:
"Whadya mean I missed the turn...., here a$$h*le, TURN THIS!"....THUMP.

LauraA
10-14-2006, 03:26 AM
Buddy system? Isn't that where you throw your buddy to the wolves so you can make haste to live another day? :p

Anyone in the Vegas area should check out www.nevadabackroaders.com (http://www.nevadabackroaders.com)
and they'll find me and others who do the same thing there.

That's another advantage of the buddy system. Instead of taking a caged canary with you to test the air in an old mine......:D

brian10x
10-14-2006, 04:12 AM
Problem with us is the Jeep holds only two (along with all the recovery gear stowed where the back seat used to be) We actually prefer two vehicles on the trail,

I'll be willing to bet someone reading this has a good 4x4, but , like you, would rather not venture out alone.

Remember newbies-what you may not own you can always rent!

NWNative
10-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Next time we head to Tucson I'd take you up on that! We've got family down there but it seems such a shame too not get a little ghost towning in while we're there!

teds280z
10-16-2006, 01:38 PM
:p Hey I am new to doing this exploring here in Nevada. A friend of mine and I have been going out everyweekend to different areas of NV. WHat I would like to do is hook up with people who enjoy doing this same thing. I live in Reno and Stan Paher's book is like a text book to me. I have had the honor of meeting Stan recently and he is very knowledgeable about Nevada. Anyway contact me through this thread or at my e-mail teds280z@yahoo.com if you are in the Reno area. I also am not into heavy rock climbing and beating my 4x4 to pieces.

widleewidleewaa
10-16-2006, 03:01 PM
I like the idea, I usualy end up going alone, becuase most of my friends work on weekends, and my girlfirend is terrified of the places I'll try and put my 4 runner.

I usualy go into the Bradshaws Mountains north of Phoenix, and explore mines. But the next few weeks I'm going to explore around globe and Roosevelt Lake.

brian10x
10-16-2006, 07:46 PM
I like the idea, I usualy end up going alone, becuase most of my friends work on weekends, and my girlfirend is terrified of the places I'll try and put my 4 runner.

I usualy go into the Bradshaws Mountains north of Phoenix, and explore mines. But the next few weeks I'm going to explore around globe and Roosevelt Lake.

Myself, Laura, and her husband Ralph are getting set to make another trip to the Bluebird just North of lake Roosevelt. I'm sure they would be happy to have you along as well.
Please contact Laura. She and Ralph are really good people. (They saved me from eternal damnation)

widleewidleewaa
10-16-2006, 09:34 PM
I dunno, Ive seen how you guys feel about "whipper snappers".:D

LauraA
10-17-2006, 01:56 AM
I dunno, Ive seen how you guys feel about "whipper snappers".:D

It's ok, Brian's a whippersnapper too by our standards. ;)
If we do take you, you'll have to be blindfolded so you can't tell anyone else how to get there, it'll make the drive so much more interesting, especially on the curves with 300 foot drop-offs :rolleyes:
Seriously, if you want to go, you'd be welcome. We're waiting until the snakes are sleepy and the temperatures stay below 80 after sunup because it'll take a hike to get into the area we want to explore, the road that used to be there is gone. I'm an old bat and I don't do well climbing around in the heat.
I hope there's something else we can call you besides widleewidleewaa, it'll make too much echo up in the mountains.:D

brian10x
10-17-2006, 04:31 AM
It's ok, Brian's a whippersnapper too by our standards. ;)
If we do take you, you'll have to be blindfolded so you can't tell anyone else how to get there, it'll make the drive so much more interesting, especially on the curves with 300 foot drop-offs :rolleyes:
Seriously, if you want to go, you'd be welcome. We're waiting until the snakes are sleepy and the temperatures stay below 80 after sunup because it'll take a hike to get into the area we want to explore, the road that used to be there is gone. I'm an old bat and I don't do well climbing around in the heat.
I hope there's something else we can call you besides widleewidleewaa, it'll make too much echo up in the mountains.:D

Laura,
The Sammi's almost ready as well. I've got to put some miles on the rear end to be sure of its reliability and finish up the exhaust this weekend.

And of course I have to test the machine gun.

LauraA
10-17-2006, 06:43 AM
Good going Brian, I was going to ask you how your rear end work was coming along, but others might not understand :D

The Jeep is rarin' to go too, lots of protection now. Who needs lifts and lockers when you've got this?

:D ;) And if young whippersnapper Widleewidleewaa is going.....

coolguy0621
10-17-2006, 07:37 AM
..........Wow..............

widleewidleewaa
10-17-2006, 02:18 PM
choo choo!

Just let me know when your going, Im off most weekends.

LauraA
10-17-2006, 04:09 PM
choo choo!

Just let me know when your going, Im off most weekends.

OK, will do. We can work out the details when we decide everyone's junk is running good enough and the days are cooler. :)

brian10x
10-17-2006, 05:45 PM
Good going Brian, I was going to ask you how your rear end work was coming along, but others might not understand :D

The Jeep is rarin' to go too, lots of protection now. Who needs lifts and lockers when you've got this?

:D ;) And if young whippersnapper Widleewidleewaa is going.....

Laura, that one really made me smile. Not many people can do that to me!

NWNative
10-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Brian - I can't keep up with your automotive turn over - do you still have the bike?

LauraA
10-18-2006, 03:03 AM
Laura, that one really made me smile. Not many people can do that to me!

that's what friends are for

brian10x
10-18-2006, 04:16 AM
Brian - I can't keep up with your automotive turn over - do you still have the bike?

I've probably owned more cars than most people have owned underwear.

I had to make a tough decision and sell the Honda. I'm trying to reduce my standard of living in hopes I someday find a job that dosen't make me feel like being in **** every day, but might pay less money.

Thank you for asking.

NWNative
10-18-2006, 06:41 AM
Know what you mean about the cars. I've had a lot of rolling crap in my day. Sometimes it took two or three cars in my drive to give me a reasonable chance to get to work in the morning! Back in my troubled youth - it caused some troubles. Every once in a while I would walk home from the bar 'cause I couldn't find my car, only to find that the one I was looking for was at home. Suppose it's for the best - shouldn't'a been driving at that point anyhow!
Sorry to hear about the Honda.

teds280z
10-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Has anyone gone back to their first post. Very interesting like this one is for more experianced GT'ers (I was going to say old timers but didn't want to offend the people my age) to get with Newbies and see about going to show them the ropes!!!:cool:

Joel
10-05-2008, 03:12 PM
To be honest, I'd be scared to death to take a young one off the trails. Even if he/she survived the trek to the ghost town, I'd probably be pelted with rocks on the way back. Black Diamond is a tough nut to crack if you've never bush-whacked before.

old judge
10-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Just reviewing a thread or two and figured out why Laura and Ralph like to go with Brian on these outtings. They don't have to worry about outrunning the bear or cougar or what have you. They just have to outrun Brian. OJ P.S. Sorry I haven't posted much lately. It's just that Bob Stoops has kept me busy helping out with the Football Team.

GaryB
10-06-2008, 01:14 AM
Sorry I haven't posted much lately. It's just that Bob Stoops has kept me busy helping out with the Football Team.

Oklahoma has a football team?

:p

old judge
10-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Dang Gary, it's **** to get old. I meant Foosball, the Foosball team. Stoopsy doesn't need my help with the Football team. OJ

GaryB
10-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Actually I'm just jealous. You have a team that you can cheer on to win. We have a team we can cheer on to only lose by single digits :rolleyes:

old judge
10-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Oops. Bob Stoops just called. NOW he wants my help with the Football Team. Go Longhorns. OJ

GaryB
10-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Oops. Bob Stoops just called. NOW he wants my help with the Football Team. Go Longhorns. OJ

I watched that game sitting in a car dealer lounge while they haggled over how much I wasn't going to pay for my new F-150. Looked like OK was over whelmed by a hungry Texas team.

Rupe
10-30-2008, 03:32 PM
If anyone is in the Eugene/Springfield, Oregon area I would be happy to take them up the Noonday Trail and into Bohemia City and mining distict. Send me a PM and let me know. We are always going out by ourselves, due to not finding anyone in the area to go along.
We are headed for Fort Rock/Christmas Valley area for camping and exploring the 7, 8, and 9th of Nov. if your interested in the high desert of Oregon your more then welcome to follow us over or meet us there. rupe

Albin
11-13-2008, 05:34 AM
Rupe, while you near Ft. Rock/Xmas Valley, did you guys hit Malheur (sp?) Cave? It's a little further to the east near Burns Junction.

I visited it once the same trip as Ft. Rock etc., my son and I hoped to make it back there this summer, but didn't happen due to lack of time.

Al

Rupe
11-13-2008, 06:12 AM
No I haven't in fact I never heard about it until just a month or so ago. My sister was staying on some property that we own down at Alvord desert and ended up talking to somebody that told her about it. She stopped in and saw it on her way back to Burns. She said it was really cool. I looked it up on the internet and there is a picture of it. I'll see if I can find it and put in a link to it. rupe

Here it is: http://www.gosleepgo.com/guide/us/or/burns/malheur-cave

I would like to stop in and see it sometime.

brian10x
11-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks for reviving my old post from 2 years ago.
It served to remind me with age I have only gotten uglier and nastier looking.

danbo
11-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Welcome back stranger, where ya been? Did you find work?

brian10x
11-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Welcome back stranger, where ya been? Did you find work?

I finally found a job making less than 1/2 what I was making last time I was gainfully employed. Suffice to say I've had to make a few adjustments to my lifestyle. I may have to eat one of my dogs.

Seriously, with 13 years experience as an auto mechanic, retail management experience, sales and service advisor work under my belt, you would think It would be easier. problem is, I don't want to work for those fast-paced, high-pressure sales tactics outfits like Brake max or Midas. I find them morally repugnant.

teds280z
01-23-2010, 09:09 PM
HEY BRIAN i COULD USE A PARTNER IN MY BUSINESS, NEVADAGHOSTTOWNADVENTURES.COM