PDA

View Full Version : If you can't beat em'

brian10x
10-14-2006, 11:09 PM
Give them their own category.

I'm referring to the ghost hunters and teenie wanna-bees that stop in here to post about seven gates of jello , turnbullsh*t canyon road and stuff.

I propose we give them a space to post on, just for ghosts and the paranormal.

Then, the moderator can just move the thread and we can ignore it if we please.

This way, there are less fights, and maybe, just maybe one of the "ghosties" will get bored enough to read one of our posts and get interested in ghost towns.

As much fun as it is for me to demean and insult them, if we give them their own "space" maybe we can win a few over to our side.

I think its better than alienating them all. I remember when I was a stupid teenager, too.

(Ok, say it-not a teenager anymore but still ...)

Moderator, what do you think?

Ghosttowns.com
10-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Right now that is the "other" category - but you mean make another category on top of that?

LauraA
10-15-2006, 01:39 AM
I voted no, the "go to heck" part was already there. Having been a teen (a million years ago) and later having one of my own, now grown,(wanna see pictures of my grandkids?) I wouldn't tell them to go to heck. I would politely (at first) direct them to another forum where they'd be welcomed with open arms. There are any number of forums these spook seekers can go to and post their rantings about getting drunk/stoned/high and seeing things that go bump in the night. If they don't take the hint and keep on posting here, they're fair game. If they get out of hand, we can always give them a bad reputation by clicking the little scales, reporting them, then hoping they'll be banned from posting.
I believe if they are given their own category, they'll bleed over into legitimate posts.
(dude, but did you like see any ghosts while you were like at the historical society and were you like stoned?) :rolleyes:
If, at some time they develop an interest in ghost towns and can do it without a can of spray paint in their grubby little mitts and want to contribute anything worthwhile to the board, then I'd be happy to welcome them here.

bad bob
10-15-2006, 02:20 AM
I absolutely have to agree with LauraA, and for exactly the reasons she described. There are numerous sites for these young peeps to crowd around, but as you have seen, some prefer to venture in here, some to see what kinda "stuff" they can stir up.

My immodest vote is to leave this forum as it is. (Of course with profound apologies to Brian).
bb.

NWNative
10-15-2006, 03:00 AM
Moderator - is there any way to give them a seperate "ghost thread" but have it be a portal to one of the gates they're always looking for?

brian10x
10-15-2006, 04:08 AM
Right now that is the "other" category - but you mean make another category on top of that?

Yes. Some of them are none too bright and need someone to hold their hand to help find their seat in the dark. "Other"is just not obvious enough for the little goblins.

brian10x
10-15-2006, 04:17 AM
I absolutely have to agree with LauraA, and for exactly the reasons she described. There are numerous sites for these young peeps to crowd around, but as you have seen, some prefer to venture in here, some to see what kinda "stuff" they can stir up.

My immodest vote is to leave this forum as it is. (Of course with profound apologies to Brian).
bb.
Maybe I'm just trying too hard to be kindler and gentler.

It gives me heartburn but it feels like the right way to behave.
On the other hand, It gives be enormous pleasure to be an a$$hole, and I'm quite good at it.

LauraA
10-15-2006, 06:41 AM
Maybe I'm just trying too hard to be kindler and gentler.

It gives me heartburn but it feels like the right way to behave.
On the other hand, It gives be enormous pleasure to be an a$$hole, and I'm quite good at it.

For everything there is a season.....
Some of the posters we're having problems with don't understand "kinder, gentler" ya gotta get their attention with a 2x4 first.
If the little scoundrels insist on being obnoxious, then 'tis the season to have open season on them.
One other thing, I don't see anything wrong with any of us mentioning eerie occurrences which we may run into while doing our explorations. I believe that most everyone who has ever done any GTing has had the hair stand up on the back of their necks for one reason or another. I don't believe telling about it within the content of our posting takes away from the legitimacy of our reporting in any way.

Goat
10-15-2006, 07:41 AM
Once again, I stand alone. I must be like the "plague" to ghosts and the paranormal. I have never felt anything eerie, creepy, or otherwise odd while out exploring. I like the quiet and desolation out there, and if there is a noise, it doesn't make me think of ghosts, it makes me think of what it must have felt like when there were actual things that might cause you harm out there!

As far as putting in another category, I don't care one way or the other, as long as it's contained within the category. Seems a little odd that they picked this place to nest, because it has Ghost towns in it though. With all the erudite, scientific inquiry that goes into the investigation of paranormal activity, you'd assume that someone would have noticed the difference.

GaryB
10-15-2006, 07:56 AM
I see it this way:

If they are too ignorant to read through the site and realize it's about ghost towns and Western American history, and not about things going bump in the night, they're open for backlash. Regardless of having a "Other" section. To me, "Other" is for BSing and things not topic related. You could argue the paranormal is not topic related, but why argue to keep it alive here when there are hundreds of paranormal sites abound?

Especially when some a$$ hat sees there are 27 pages to a thread and hops on and asks for directions for the 25th time instead of reading through the posts to find out some one already gave them, and that asking that kind of question might get you negative attention. Or better yet, posts a new thread after either not doing a search, or not giving a **** in finding out it already has 3 or 4 threads started on it.

I don't have issues with the paranormal, but of all the posts, there's IMO maybe 2 that's decently and intelligently written about something other than some stupid local folk lore that likely never existed. And it's not specifically topic related.

Now if you excuse me, I'm off to post questions about my IH Scout on the Ford Bronco website :rolleyes:

GaryB
10-15-2006, 08:02 AM
With all the erudite, scientific inquiry that goes into the investigation of paranormal activity, you'd assume that someone would have noticed the difference.

It seems over half of the posters failed in basic grammar and spelling, what makes you think they paid attention in science too :p

But I agree, I'm the kind to find out what's making the noise and disclaim it. You'd be surprised how easily a screen door moving in the gentle breeze can send chills down your back till you find out the source of the noise ;)

Bob
10-15-2006, 08:52 AM
I don't mind sharing the "Other" category but don't favor adding another category.

I've seen things that "go bump in the night" and know reasonable people, who like myself will not camp or spend the evening near or at some places. Delamar Nevada comes to my mind. I kinda think places where numerous people suffered an untimely death are still inhabited by troubled souls, it is the only way I can explain some of the eerie things I’ve encountered If you research these, so called "ghostly" sites, you start to see patterns like the death's of so many young people at Delamar, or at a tragic mine fire, or a massacre site or some other event leading to the untimely deaths of multiple individuals. Now the real question is: Does my historical knowledge of an area influence my subconscious mind to alter my perceptions or is there a dimension beyond our normal cognitive natural world humanity has yet to understand. I believe in God, hence I believe there is a supernatural world beyond and after my mortal existence, I guess I tend to physically separate heaven (the supernatural) and earth (the natural) but what if such multi-tragedies result in a “supernatural or collective angst” which temporarily prevents such souls from bridging that “physical gap” that I perceive between heaven and earth. I am not a paranormal researcher nor do I necessarily “believe in ghosts” but I have an open enough mind not to dismiss all claims. That said, I don’t want to see ghosttowns.com lost focus on ghost towns. A discussion of weird feelings at Mountain Meadows in Utah, or Delamar in Nevada, or near Scofield, Utah (Winter Quarters Mine Explosion) is I believe appropriate. This seven gates and gravity hill crap belongs elsewhere and should not be further encouraged here!

old judge
10-15-2006, 09:21 AM
I first came upon this site in late '02 and have been a big user and fan since. I used the site as a primary source for 2 lengthy trips in '02 and '03. Visited numerous GTs and took lots of photos in 7 states. Until late '04, I never asked a question or posted anything. Most of the questions which entered my mind were answered after a brief search. Perhaps that's why I tend to get a little short with folks who seem to want all the answers with no work. During that couple of years while we were searching and copying, I saw little that I recall in the way of teeny-bopper ghost hunters. There was also less negative posting, such as that in which I also sometimes indulge. Had there been the recent level of negative discourse then, I might not have finally decided, in late '04, to jump in. I suggest a little more accepting level with these folks, if they stick to the "Other" category, are not themselves abusive, and can take a reasonable amount of abuse from "regulars" when they appear to be way out in left field (like the guy who can't read and write, and comes on to ask for directions to Gravity Hill and a good place to buy beer and spray-paint). I just hate to think some true GTer, with something interesting to say or share, might come to the site and land in the middle of one of our sometimes tasteless rat-killin's, and decide not to stay and visit. I voted "welcome" because there wasn't another choice except "run 'em off." ---- Mike

bad bob
10-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Moderator - is there any way to give them a seperate "ghost thread" but have it be a portal to one of the gates they're always looking for?

LOL NWNative
Good one!:D

Goat
10-15-2006, 10:42 AM
Delamar again! This is my favorite GT, and I've heard other's stories about that feeling when they go there. I must be a dense piece of hickory or something, but I enjoy the place enormously.

Wish I knew what the **** I'm missing, I'd really like to experience something paranormal.:(

Now I'm beginning to wonder what's wrong with me. Seriously, I am...

brian10x
10-15-2006, 02:01 PM
Delamar again! This is my favorite GT, and I've heard other's stories about that feeling when they go there. I must be a dense piece of hickory or something, but I enjoy the place enormously.

Wish I knew what the **** I'm missing, I'd really like to experience something paranormal.:(

Now I'm beginning to wonder what's wrong with me. Seriously, I am...

Sometimes, I think its just what your mind is "tuned" to feel.

As a kid, I read every available book on ghosts, ufos, the paranormal I could find. I'm still interested in "spooky" things. Like it or not, I think my subconscious mind "looks" for connections for these kinds of things. What causes chills up my spine might not affect you at all.

This famous Tombstone photo is a good example:
http://clantongang.com/oldwest/ghosts0.html

LauraA
10-15-2006, 03:31 PM
Brian, the music and mysterious cursor movement help to set the scene for what would appear to me to be a clever use of Photoshop. (Oh me of little faith)
That would also explain why the shadow of the smaller figure doesn't match the larger one...two different photos, cut & pasted.
Heck, you and Goat are too well armed for ghosts to mess with, they might be dead, but they're not crazy! :D

Flatiron
10-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Brian......Was this photo taken by Terry "Ike" Clanton, by any chance?............

brian10x
10-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Brian, the music and mysterious cursor movement help to set the scene for what would appear to me to be a clever use of Photoshop. (Oh me of little faith)
That would also explain why the shadow of the smaller figure doesn't match the larger one...two different photos, cut & pasted.
Heck, you and Goat are too well armed for ghosts to mess with, they might be dead, but they're not crazy! :D

I hear about Photoshop a lot, but don't know anything about it.
I'm sceptical anyway, and I know you can't trust pictures, esp. on the internet.

If you ever see anything you can't explain on one of MY pictures, you can bet your bottom dollar it isn't manipulated in any way.

And the shadow was wrong because the sun in the ghost world shines the opposite way! (sounds plausible, eh?) Similar explanation of the Lee Harvey Oswald w/rifle pose.

brian10x
10-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Brian......Was this photo taken by Terry "Ike" Clanton, by any chance?............

Its on his web site. I don't recall the photo credit, though.

NWNative
10-15-2006, 07:31 PM
The website says Ike Clanton - why?

GaryB
10-16-2006, 08:49 AM
Because he owns it :p
Actually it's his great nephew or something like that. I've been there, interesting stuff, some vey biased info of course. Most of the "ghost" pictures do nothing for me as they are just orbs. I did an experiment in HS science once where we created orbs for pictures. Little dust and the right light with some electrical charges and :eek:

I too trust very few pics, especially now with todays technology. Unless I take it myself, I have friends that create pictures with a blank screen with Photoshop and Corel, etc. that show just how easy it is to alter images.

GaryB
10-16-2006, 08:58 AM
A discussion of weird feelings at Mountain Meadows in Utah, or Delamar in Nevada, or near Scofield, Utah (Winter Quarters Mine Explosion) is I believe appropriate. This seven gates and gravity hill crap belongs elsewhere and should not be further encouraged here!

That's how I feel about it. I liked High Desert Drifter's account of his stay at the old ranch in CA, likely as it was an honest experience being recalled without a bunch of BS and "I think I saw this" that fills the before mentioned topics. That's why I don't harp on anyone about feelings or experiences about a GT visit. It's topical and I can associate with it. Where the nearest haunted skating rink that I can take my girlfriend isn't.

And Goat, don't feel bad. I have yet had a weird experience at Delamar yet as well :D

Goat
10-16-2006, 03:06 PM
Hey Gary, have you ever had any weird experiences at any GT?

I've woken up surrounded by quiet cattle, been approached at night by the tiny pitter-patter of burros, and had javelina walk up close enough to spit on. I even got snuck up on by a badger, but never anything paranormal in a GT.

I've only had one experience that, I guess I'd call it something that science hasn't yet explained. But it wasn't particularly scary, chilling, or unnerving, and it wasn't in a GT. ****, I didn't even shoot it!:D

Goat

NWNative
10-16-2006, 05:11 PM
I once spent the night in the back of my pick up and woke up somewhere pretty frightening! We had pulled off late at night. By the light of day we saw that we were in someone's front yard. We high tailed it away! Pretty explainable experience (not al-kee-hol, just 'dum!)

GaryB
10-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Hey Gary, have you ever had any weird experiences at any GT?

Goat

No, not really. Lots of weird noises and such, but I usually found the source or got tired of looking. Never had a goose bump kind of feeling though. I've had weird experiences in other places though. I have reason to believe a certain bathroom at the Fremont Hotel is haunted ;)

Old GT cemeteries do give me a kind of somber feeling though. But I tend to pay more respect to the dead than the living :D

I've also woken up to a few critters getting nosy as well. The Mule deer was interesting, but I could have done without the skunk. A ring tailed cat woke me up once stealing my bread :mad:

brian10x
10-16-2006, 07:59 PM
[quote=Goat;22973]Hey Gary, have you ever had any weird experiences at any GT?

I've woken up surrounded by quiet cattle,

Re-incarnated folks from the town

been approached at night by the tiny pitter-patter of burros,

The sentries of the portal into the abyss

and had javelina walk up close enough to spit on.

Satan's unholy minions waiting to suck the very breath from your lungs as you sleep

I even got snuck up on by a badger,

The ghost of the town sheriff

but never anything paranormal in a GT.

It all depends on how your mind percieves it.

Ok, maybe I was exaggerating for fun, but most spirits don't formally introduce themselves and offer to shake your hand.

I wish they did, though!

Goat
10-18-2006, 04:31 PM
I think I understand what you are saying Brian, but let me make sure.
1.Your mind has to be sort of trained to be able to pick up on things of a paranormal nature. 2.You may physically get a feeling of unease, or a basic feeling of discomfort due to your surroundings.
3.You say that a lot of it has to do with how an individual perceives what is seen/heard.
4. Paranormal occurances tend take place (more likely) in an area where something tragic happened.

Let me know if I'm on the right track here, because I'm curious about a few things if I have the above right.

Thanks,
Goat

NWNative
10-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Does your mind need to be trained to it or are certain people more susceptible?

brian10x
10-18-2006, 06:58 PM
I think I understand what you are saying Brian, but let me make sure.
1.Your mind has to be sort of trained to be able to pick up on things of a paranormal nature. 2.You may physically get a feeling of unease, or a basic feeling of discomfort due to your surroundings.
3.You say that a lot of it has to do with how an individual perceives what is seen/heard.
4. Paranormal occurances tend take place (more likely) in an area where something tragic happened.

Let me know if I'm on the right track here, because I'm curious about a few things if I have the above right.

Thanks,
Goat
I think you are right on all points except my mind is not trained in any way to pick up paranormal activity. I think its more acurrate to say my mind is "open" or "receptive" to these things.

However, I tend to split 50-50 on things. If a door slams in the shack I am exploring, 50% of my mind says it MUST be a ghost, while 50% says there MUST be a logical explanation.

It ain't easy being me.

GaryB
10-18-2006, 09:51 PM
I go "What the **** was that?" and then go look as my wife runs for the truck :D

I agree it depends really on your own interpretation. Like two people seeing the same thing happen and yet have two different explanations. It really works that way with everything I guess. Just like some folks work out the scientific theory behind it and other's might just rely on the spiritual belief.

I've seen stuff that was easily deduced with common sense, yet I have seen/heard some things that to this day I don't have a full grasp on an answer I'm satisfied with; be it a logical scientific explanation, or spiritual forces at work.

GaryB
10-18-2006, 09:56 PM
2.You may physically get a feeling of unease, or a basic feeling of discomfort due to your surroundings.

Goat

My wife claims she can't stand being in the Luxor for very long. So far every time there, she has felt sick to her stomach, and after we leave, is okay. She claims it's something to do with the shape inside, and the fact some guys died building it.

I think she's loony. But you didn't hear me say that, okay? ;)

Goat
10-18-2006, 09:57 PM
I think I understand it better now, Brian. If I'm correct, it basically comes down to your interpretation of the event. Therefore theoretically, 2 people could witness the same incident, and both could have a different story, one see's a random occurence, the other see's paranormal activity.

Well, I'm gonna step out on a skinny limb here, and tell my one "unexplained" event. It stings a bit to air it out, but WTF, I respect the regulars around here enough to tell it, and receive whatever "whacking" I get with chin up. It's still anecdotal, but it's true.

I'm 41 now, but about 20 years ago, I went back to Oklahoma to see my folks. I hooked up with a buddy of mine from high school one night to catch up and do some general BS'ing. The town is pretty small, and stuff shuts down early there, so not a whole lot to do. We filled up the tank on his truck, and decided to drive around the back roads and do some yapping. The dirt roads were empty of course, and we had a good time catching up and talking about the old days. It was pleasant out, and it felt good to be with a kindred spirit. We weren't inebriated, but did spend a lot of time laughing. At one point we pulled over to the side to take a leak. He shut off the lights but left the engine running as we watered the ground on each side of the truck. I still remember looking up the road and noticing how it looked like a gray strip, which was odd, because the moon wasn't out, but the sky was clear and you could see plenty of stars. It was an old road that had been graded for years, with grassy ditches on either side, and the road itself sat lower than the land on either side by 3 feet or so. On the passenger (my) side, there was an old barbed wire fence with the old wormy wood fence posts holding it up, and a fair scattering of ancient wild pecan and (IIRC) persimmon trees. On the other side of the road, past the same type of fence, there were a lot of briars, and thick woods. Somewhere back there, winding through, was a stagnant, dark water creek that was connected to the various old coal pits that were spread out in the area. The only noise was the running truck, and the low playing radio. We climbed back into the cab, and my buddy started to say something when I guess he saw the look on my face. He leaned forward and said "what..." and I justed stared and slightly nodded past him, like when game surprises you and you don't want to call attention to yourself by moving or making noise. I had my left hand on the center part of the bench seat, and he had both of his on the steering wheel as he turned his head to the left. From the ditch on his side, about 15 feet away, a small faintly green glowing object, about the size and shape of a small loaf of bread, slowly rose and came in our direction. It got to the front fender and I couldn't see it for a second. Then Paul lifted his hands up and scooted straight back. The glowing object appeared where the door met the dashboard, and slowly moved across his knees. I lifted my hand up as the object approached it. The object slowly passed, inches away from me, and I observed that the inside part of it was a darker green that faded to a bit lighter color of green on the outside, but it didn't emit light, and did not light up the seat below or in front of it. It then travelled through the seat (not over it, like light or shadow does), and we turned and watched as it slowly moved down the bed of the truck, and exited at the corner of the bed. We sat in silence for staring out the rear window, before we looked at each other slack jawed, and said simultaneously "Did you see that?" We both jumped out of the truck and ran through theweeds in the ditch looking for it. But that was the last that we saw of it.

The entire incident took about 20 seconds or so, and it is engraved on my mind, every detail. Time seemed to stand still, and it was quite easy to inspect it because it was there for so long. My feelings about it have never changed. It was real, it wasn't threatening in any way, and apparently gave little notice of us. I have no feeling that it was living, dead, or otherwise. It was just something that crossed our path, that's it. I wondered for a while whether I should have left my hand where it was to see if I could feel anything by letting it touch me, but in retrospect, I think at the time it would have been disrespectful(?) to impede it's slow progress.

In all fairness, 3 of my grandparents were Keetowah, and I believe that there is enough of that in me to be subject to certain things that are probably considered superstitious, but I'm still prone to not make waves about these things, and err on the side of acceptance. In short, I'm not a coward, nor brave, but I'm willing to accept this as a gift. (Also, it's been many years since this has happened, so it is ok to talk now).:D

Goat

GaryB
10-19-2006, 12:43 AM
Hey hey hey, a back woods redneck story not including gun fire at glowing objects? j/k Interesting story though. So did both of you recount seeing the same thing?

Goat
10-19-2006, 03:46 AM
It's funny you say backwoods story, 'cause I talked to him on the phone last month, and he recounted the same exact story with no missing or extra details- he did tell me too that he just finished doing 3 1/2 years in prison for, Gee what was it, something to do with chemistry or a lab or something. :eek:

It was funny though, I brought up the story, and immediately his voice dropped to a whisper and he became very serious indeed. I didn't tell my wife about it until we had known each other for a few years either.

Feels good to put this story out there.

Goat

LauraA
10-19-2006, 03:50 AM
Stories like the one Goat just posted make the hair stand up on the back of my neck, because they come from someone I consider a credible source. He even said they weren't inebriated which makes the story even more credible.
My one occurrence was of a more personal nature. (hope there's room out on that skinny limb for one more)
I was 50 years old at the time. I had gone to bed that night with nothing in particular on my mind (no comments from the peanut gallery) During the night I was awakened by the movement of someone sitting down on the corner of the bed, down by my feet, when I opened my eyes, I saw in the dim light, my father sitting there. This seemed extremely odd since he lived in Florida and I was in Arizona but my sleepy mind didn't try to sort it out. He then proceeded to have a conversation with me, I won't go into the details, suffice to say he and I never did get along very well. I tried to speak to him, but he wouldn't answer me, then, as I watched, he simply disappeared.
I dozed back off only to awaken the next morning to the smell of him lingering in my bedroom. He smoked a particular cherry tobacco in his pipe which always had a distinctive aroma. At 8AM that morning, I received a phone call from my stepmother, informing me that my father had died suddenly in his sleep that night.
Although elderly at the time, he hadn't been ill, and truthfully, I hadn't even been thinking about him before this event occurred. I've never been able to explain it, I couldn't even swear that I was awake when the incident happened, but I was definitely awake when I smelled the cherry tobacco in my bedroom. I'd like to say it left me feeling at peace, but it didn't.

brian10x
10-19-2006, 04:18 AM
Thats an amazing story! I can't think of any remotely plausible explanation for what you saw!

Thank you so much for sharing that. I hope no one makes light of your experience.

brian10x
10-19-2006, 04:23 AM
Laura, I've read countless stories just like yours over the years. It seems to be a fairly common occurance, at least in paranormal circles. I'm glad it hasn't repeated itself, especially since it didn't leave you with a positive feeling.

old judge
10-19-2006, 07:28 AM
Hey Goat: Enjoyed your account tremendously. Naturally I'm intrigued, in part, because it took place in Oklahoma. Do you mind telling me where?? In addition, I have recently been assigned to some proceedings in Tahlequah dealing with the status of the Keetoowah Casino there. In the process, I've been greatly enlightened about the UKB and their relationship to my tribe (I'm about one millionth Cherokee, I'm told). Fascinating history. I'm ashamed to admit that few Oklahomans today are at all knowledgeable of the history of the folks whose lands we took (stole)(many times). An old, now departed, friend of mine, Brownie Pipestem, who was 1/2 Osage and 1/2 Otoe, as I recall, once told me, very seriously, that one day the Indians would recover all their lands. Every day, the various tribes in Oklahoma acquire significant new lands through investment of gambling proceeds. Maybe Brownie is satisfied as he enjoys the Happy Hunting Ground. .......In another vein, I've never encountered anything I'm convinced was paranormal. But I Believe...Why?? Because my wife, who is in all ways a much better person than I, tells me that she has been exposed to such things. She refuses to discuss them with me. We've been married since '69, and she still refuses. Since I've never known her to lie to me or anyone, I just accept it as fact. Since she also never drinks, I can't liquor her up and pry........OJ

Goat
10-19-2006, 04:26 PM
OJ, I'm glad that you enjoyed the story, it really felt good to finally tell it. I waited a long time to tell it (more than just 7 years, just in case!), and when I first did, whew, my ears turned red! I think I just accept it as mine.

The area where it took place is near Checotah, southwest of Shady Grove. I believe the area is within a mile or so of a place that the locals call "crybaby bridge" for no apparent reason. If you ever go there, I could probably put you within a few hundred yards of where it happened.

The history of the Cherokee is a very interesting one indeed, and quite advanced, as well. The part that women played is fascinating, and the world that we live in today could use a lesson or two in this regard.

Both of my grandfathers had no father, as one was an orphan, and the other a *******. My grandmothers family (with the exception of one brother) refused the Dawes roll, and spent a great deal of the time near Atoka and Caddo. Therefore, I have no connection with the UKB, although I have several cousins that are (with blue eyes?). My great Aunt (whose eyes were kind, wise, and pure) loved me immediately as a child, and told me a lot of things about how things were. About how some things are real and you can touch them and see them every day, and some things are real but you never touch or see them. You are aware that they are around, but some will never see them for their entire lives. I have been very fortunate (I believe) to have known these times, and understood what they were when they happened, or maybe they know me(?). As I understand it, the bad things dont really affect you unless you do not show the proper respect, or you are somehow involved with someone of that nature. I felt profound sadness when she passed, but also, oddly, not as alone as usually happens when someone that you respect passes.

Sorry to be long winded OJ, but I have to pour this stuff out before I bottle it up and drown again.

My apologies to everyone for getting off topic, I sincerely didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Thank You,

Goat

LauraA
10-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Goat, what a marvelous,touching post! I feel honored that you chose to share it with us. Thank you. :)

GaryB
10-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Hey Goat, no worries. I'm sure if any of us had a qualm about your stories we'd tell you. At least they are honest, that's all I can ask for.

BTW, if "we can't beat them", can we beat on them?

Just wondering. I did so today, and the new post disappeared, either by their hand or the admin's. I'm kinda bummed now, I hate it when I scare off potential new friends.

Well not really, but it did make me catch my breath for a second.

That's not true either.

I lie sometimes.

Really, I do.

:)

old judge
10-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Gary...I'm kinda interested in your post that got axed. Anything the rest of squirrels should be concerned about? Are you sure it wasn't a Grey Goose moment??? OJ And by the way, I, like you, seldom lie. Reallly. Very seldom....

LauraA
10-21-2006, 02:43 PM
If it was a "Grey Goose" moment, I think I must have had the same one. I was responding to a post from a spook seeker, (trying to win him over from the dark side by offering him milk and cookies and naming him sole inheritor in my will) uh huh honestly I was...... :rolleyes: .... when I finished typing my response, I hit the "submit reply" button and got a message which my artery hardened brain can't remember right now, but it was something to the effect that the post wasn't there any longer to be replied to. When I went looking for the post, it was gone. I assume it was either moderated or deleted by the posts spook seeking originator. :confused:

High Desert Drifter
10-21-2006, 03:42 PM
I take off for a week of exploring with the boys over at intrepid explorers.org, drive back in to California, fire up the computer to catch up, and what do I find???...Thats it! your all on restriction, no tv or supper tonight. What the heck are you all smokin? Paranormal weed?

you guys are killin me! Sluuuuuurp slurpee, burp.

brian10x
10-21-2006, 06:34 PM
I take off for a week of exploring with the boys over at intrepid explorers.org, drive back in to California, fire up the computer to catch up, and what do I find???...Thats it! your all on restriction, no tv or supper tonight. What the heck are you all smokin? Paranormal weed?

you guys are killin me! Sluuuuuurp slurpee, burp.

Ever try ice cream in a slurpee? Just curious.

Brian Souza
Ice Cream oholic

GaryB
10-21-2006, 08:30 PM
. When I went looking for the post, it was gone. I assume it was either moderated or deleted by the posts spook seeking originator. :confused:

What she said. Someone looking for ghosts in Maryland or some place, I forget. Told him I was packing and on the way. Maybe I came across too strong, I do that some times :)

Oh well, I spent the day around Rhyolite again, probably had more fun than sitting at a bus stop waiting for the Boogie Man anyway.

But I felt a connection with them. Oh well :(

GaryB
10-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Ever try ice cream in a slurpee? Just curious.

Brian Souza
Ice Cream oholic

Wouldn't that be a Slurpeam? No wait, Creampee. Yeah, that's it.

High Desert Drifter
10-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Wouldn't that be a Slurpeam? No wait, Creampee. Yeah, that's it.

How about a Slurp & Cream? or a Cream & Slurp?

Bob
10-22-2006, 03:53 AM
...Oh well, I spent the day around Rhyolite again, probably had more fun than sitting at a bus stop waiting for the Boogie Man anyway.

Hey Gary

I was over the hill toward Pioneer at the head of Sober Up Wash at Motorcycle Race on that patented Mine area at the near the top. Maybe that was your connection. :) Oh Well its almost 5:00 AM better head out again for the same race (Two day deal)

Bob
10-22-2006, 03:54 AM
...Oh well, I spent the day around Rhyolite again, probably had more fun than sitting at a bus stop waiting for the Boogie Man anyway.

Hey Gary

I was over the hill toward Pioneer at the head of Sober Up Wash at Motorcycle Race on that patented Mine area at the near the top. Maybe that was your connection. :) Oh Well its almost 5:00 AM better head out again for the same race (Two day deal)

LauraA
10-22-2006, 06:34 AM
What she said. Someone looking for ghosts in Maryland or some place, I forget. Told him I was packing and on the way. Maybe I came across too strong, I do that some times :)
Oh well, I spent the day around Rhyolite again, probably had more fun than sitting at a bus stop waiting for the Boogie Man anyway.

I was in the midst of packing and was asking advice on what to bring. I didn't know if there would be a place to get my nails done or if formal attire would be necessary. Too bad, the poster will never know what he was missing. :rolleyes:
Oh well, there's always a next time. :D

GaryB
10-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Hey Gary

You know it's early when you double post ;)

I was unaware anything else was going on out in that area. Other that some bird hunters that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with their shot guns at Specie Spring, we never saw anyone else till we got into Beatty and on to Rhyolite.

Well that is if you don't count the big horns and burros as "anyone else".

Bob
10-23-2006, 06:42 AM
You know it's early when you double post ;)

I was unaware anything else was going on out in that area. Other that some bird hunters that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with their shot guns at Specie Spring, we never saw anyone else till we got into Beatty and on to Rhyolite.

Well that is if you don't count the big horns and burros as "anyone else".

Blame the Double Post on Ghosttowns.

When I first tri8ed to post I got this cryptic message:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /showthread.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to
use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.37 Server at www.forums.ghosttowns.com Port 80

I got three of these similar messages each time I tried to psot, then it took one I thought (Guess it took two). I suspect the system is as sleepy at 4:45 in the morning as I was. You came up the hill from Crater Flats at Specie Springs I guess. Wish I could have joined up with you in Rhyolite but I was re-writing RFID devices all day.

GaryB
10-23-2006, 11:08 AM
I got three of these similar messages each time I tried to psot, then it took one I thought (Guess it took two). I suspect the system is as sleepy at 4:45 in the morning as I was. You came up the hill from Crater Flats at Specie Springs I guess. Wish I could have joined up with you in Rhyolite but I was re-writing RFID devices all day.

Yeah, I get those and "server busy" all the time for some reason.

Yep, we ran what's referred to as the Bare Mtn. Circuit and most everyone wanted to check out Rhyolite again. Was a pretty good run, except for the tick infestation on the repeater mountain :mad:

Wednesday I'm pre-running the Spirit Mtn and Christmas Tree Pass for next month's run.