PDA

View Full Version : More info on Kit houses

dvsww2
10-15-2006, 09:32 AM
I'm not certain if this is the right place, but I know we've had discussions on kit and prefab houses in mining and ghost towns before. some people who have houses such as these have not been able to find the design of the house in like the Sears Catalogs. Came up with a new name, Pacific Pre-Cut Homes that was located in Los Angeles and was in business from 1907 into the 1940's. The Pre-cut homes were shipped in pieces via boxcar and assembled on site, or trucked to the site and assembled. There is a historic neighborhood in Nampa ID (which is still a railroad town) that appears to be right out of the Pacific Pre-cut catalog. Apparently there was a company L.F. Garlinghouse Co. from Topeka that did the design of the homes for several companys such as Montgomery Ward (WardWay)and Alladin and they sold plans and complete pre-fab houses. The 1925 Pacific Pre-Cut book is reproduced and available through Amazon, and if you google, L.F. Garlinghouse, a lot of other plan books are available on CD rom. I would suspect that company town developements are probably some type of precut/prefab stucture as they were fast to put up and did not require skilled craftsmen to complete. I always have felt that the large apartments that were at Rio Tinto NV were sometype of manufactured housing as there were a number of identical units and they were sort of an Art-Deco syle that just didn't fit with the area.. some of the apartments were moved to Elko and there is one unit in Mountain City NV . Thought I would pass this along with the number of Pacific PreCut homes in Nampa

LauraA
10-15-2006, 01:10 PM
I missed the original post on this topic. I recall seeing a neighborhood featured on an episode of This Old House, all the homes were Sears Roebuck kit homes and they were discussing how well built they were. Many were still standing strong with the only major problems being termite infestation.

Here are a couple of links you might find interesting.

Features - Sears and Roebuck kit houses from the early 20th century - Oldhouseweb.com (http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Features/Sears_Kit_Houses/)

Featured Topics from the Collection: Kit Homes (http://www.lib.umd.edu/NTL/kithomes.html)

Johnnie
10-16-2006, 05:08 AM
I missed the original post on this topic. I recall seeing a neighborhood featured on an episode of This Old House, all the homes were Sears Roebuck kit homes and they were discussing how well built they were. Many were still standing strong with the only major problems being termite infestation.

Here are a couple of links you might find interesting.

Features - Sears and Roebuck kit houses from the early 20th century - Oldhouseweb.com (http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Features/Sears_Kit_Houses/)

Featured Topics from the Collection: Kit Homes (http://www.lib.umd.edu/NTL/kithomes.html)

Thanks Laura, There is no such phrase "Missing Links" in your History Dictionary.

Johnnie & Sheila

LauraA
10-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks Laura, There is no such phrase "Missing Links" in your History Dictionary.

Johnnie & Sheila

I just don't give up easily and tend to get frustrated when I'm searching for something that I can't find.
I've been told "tenacity" is my middle name, my husband calls it muleheadedness...I think he means it as a compliment :rolleyes: and some folks think it relates more to the opposite end of the mule. :D;)

GaryB
10-16-2006, 12:42 PM
In Caliente, NV they have what is called "Company Row". A line of houses built by the Union Pacific for their management back in the day. The workers stayed in the bunk houses out back.

Not sure who built the houses, but they too are repeated pattern, either single or two story. I have also seen similar from around the country. Also, I have seen where model rail roaders can buy scaled model UP houses that look identical to them, so maybe finding out who the UP used back in the 40' & 50's would be of help.

My friend used to own/live in a little (and I mean little) house that was a government house from Boulder City, NV when they were building Hoover Dam. It was sold at auction after the dam was complete and moved to Vegas. There's 3 or 4 more around his property still, I guess they were sold as lots by a developer back then. They too all look alike, but I believe they weren't a kit house like the ones in Caliente.

dvsww2
10-16-2006, 09:10 PM
I know there was an earlier thread on this as some one had a house in Ely that was moved from one of the outlying mining towns that went under. I could not locate the thread as we had discussed kit houses before. Pacific PreCut was a new one on me, and they being from out West seems that this could be the source of company towns. The were complete homes, down to the windows and doors and did not take a skilled carpenter to assemble. Houses range form simple bungalows to large two story homes.

LauraA
10-17-2006, 02:11 AM
Here's an interesting article from the LA Times recent archives about Pacific Pre-cut Homes.

12,000 easy pieces - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/classified/realestate/printedition/la-re-kit16jul16,0,4985787,full.story?coll=la-class-realestate)