PDA

View Full Version : O K Corral 125 Years later

Johnnie
10-20-2006, 03:19 AM
History was made 125 years ago. Yes! this is when Wyatt Earp, & his brothers and Doc, deceided to use the land near O K Corral, to meet up with the Clanton Gang. in Tombsone Arizaona.

Johnnie and Sheila

LauraA
10-20-2006, 06:16 AM
Yep Pardners, their legends live on!

Wyatt Berry Stapp Earp
John Henry "Doc" Holliday

Johnnie
10-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Yep Pardners, their legends live on!

Wyatt Berry Stapp Earp
John Henry "Doc" Holliday

Thanks Laura, for puttin the iceing on the cake.

On Oct.25-the day before the fatal encounter-Ike Clanton and Tom McLaury arrived in Tombstone in a wagon, left and their team at a corral owned by Sheriff Beham,and put up in separate hotels Billy Clanton and Frank McLaury were due in town the next day .

The McLaury brothers planned to collect a payment from Bauer's Union market on a sale of some of their cattle. Billy Clanton may of had no other errands that morning-after the mission, was to collect.

Billy was the younger but more muture of the two,tending to keep a kind of paternal eye on his brother; and Ik's stated purpose on this visit to Tombstone was pleasure-- a long sodden night in its saloons.

Ike began making the rounds early in the evening of the 25th, downing shot after shot of whiskey, until way past midnight. At 1 o' clock in the morning he walked into the Alhambra Saloon, sat down at a table in the lunch room-at the back of the Saloon and ordered something to eat. He did not notice Wyatt Earp, who was sitting at the lunch counter also or Morgan Earp, who was standing at the bar beyond it. Just then Doc Holliday walked in. Instantly just the sight of Doc inflamed Ike,

Doc.tried to provoke a showdown then and there Doc. strode up to Clanton's and snarled. " You-son-of-a -***** get out your gun and get to work."

"I don't have a gun," Ike replied. As the men exchanged words. Wyatt called to his brother at the bar. Morgan was serving one of his stints as a policeman, and Wyatt suggested he separate the quarreling pair. Morgan swung his long legs over the lunch counter, took Holliday's arm and pulled him out to the street. Ike rose and followed them outside. Wyatt, as usual was more delibert; and finish his meal, and then steeped outside.

Doc Holliday was still fuming on the the boardwalk " You ain't Heeled, go heel yourself," he told Ike. Morgan added fule to the fire. "You can have all the fight you want, now. he offered. Ike, being handicapped by the lack of a pistol, declined and walk off. But he did not go to bed; an all-night poker game in another saloon engaged his attention-- fateful diversion.

At 11:30 that morning Wyatt Earp was awakened by Ned Boyle, a bartender at the Oriental Saloon, who just met Ike Clanton on the street. Ike had told Bolye, "As soon as those Dammed Earps make their appearance on the street today, the ball will open,"

Wyatt hurried to the salloon, in search of Virgil. Together they went looking for Ike. The Prelude to the shoot-out had begun.

Virgil spotted Ike in an alley, approched from behind, and grabbed his rifle with one hand, but Ike tried to draw his pistol, but Virgil, hit him over the head with his revolver, knocking him to his knees.

"You have been hunting for me?" Virgil asked. "If I'd seen you a second sooner I'd killed you," Ike said.

Virgil promply arrested him for carring firears within the city limits. Morgan Earp arrived at this moment, and and marched him to the Justice of the Pease A O. Wallace's court.

Hearing of the encounter, Wyatt went to courtroom. There he found Ike sitting outside the railing,wiping the blood from the side of his head with his handkerchief. Wyatt went pass him, sat down on the bench inside the railing to await the judge, then looked back at Ike and said: You threatened my life to many times i want this stopped." Ike muttered a few words. "Your just dirty cow theif." Wyatt went on , "if you're anxious to fight i'll meet you." Ike answered "We are in the ring".

At that point Morgan Earp took charge of Ike's rifle and six- which was brought in as evidence. Holding the Winchester with it's butt to the floor, Morgan tauntinggly offered to pay ik's fine if Ike would fight him. " I'll fight you anywhere, or any way" , Ike replied.

Without waiting to testify, Wyatt now left the courtroom and came face to face with Tom McLaury, who was about to step inside to check on Ike, A brief angry excghanged ensued.McLaury's said "If you want to make a fight . I'll make it with you anywhere "Drawing his revolver Wyatt, , answered "All right, make your fight right now"--then slapped McLaury in the face with his left hand and with his right brought his pistol barrel across the side of McLaurys head. McLaury dropped to the ground and McLaury sprawled in the street, glassy-eyed Wyatt, walked on.

A gangling young wagon driver named Billy Claibourne, a friend of the Clantons and the Mclaurs happened to be in Tombstone that day' and learning of Ik's arrest, he hurried to the courtroom Ike had paid his fine ; now had to tend to wound on his head Claibourne took him to Doctor Gillinghams office and left him there. A few minutes later he ran into Billy Clanton and Frank McLaury, newly arrived in town, and told him the news. Billy Clanton was plainly agitated over his brothers last fix. "I want Ike to go home."he said " I didn't come here to fight anyone and no one wants to fight me ," In few minutes Ike came along , his head bandaged " Get your horse and go home." Billy Clanton demanded.

I'm going directly, Ike reassured him. Together the men headed for Bauer's market on Freemont Street.

At that moment Sheriff Behgam was gettin a shave in a barber shop on Allen near Fourth Street.

From where he sat he could see a croud collecting at the corner.

Wyatt and Morgan Earp were standing with Doc Holliday; Virgil lingered nearby, holding a shotgun at his side.

The barber remarked to beham that it look like a fight for sure between the Earps and the cowboys.:cool:

The Movie "Tombstone" staring Kirk Russel, or The movie "My Darling Clememintine" Staring Henery Fonda, And there is that other great protral of the Gunfight. "The Gunfight At The O K Corral" staring Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas Any of these great movies will you the final chapter of The Famouse Gun Fight At O K Corral.

Johnnie & Sheila

LauraA
10-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Johnnie & Sheila, Bravo! Gosh I LOVE this stuff...more more PLEASE! :)

Johnnie
10-23-2006, 06:45 AM
Johnnie & Sheila, Bravo! Gosh I LOVE this stuff...more more PLEASE! :)

This whole week is coming alive in and around Tombstone, many famouse celebritys, will be in "Tombstone" for the 125th year Anniiversary of "The Gun Fight At The O K Corral."

Our good friends Lee, and Sue, Silva will be there for a their book signing along with many other actors, and historians. "Be There Or Be Square"

Your Fellow Ghosttowners, and Historians
Johnnie & Sheila

Oregon Doug
10-28-2006, 06:32 PM
But I have a trivia question for you; Who/or what killed Doc Holiday? Who was Doc's girlfriend?

Oregon Doug

LauraA
10-29-2006, 08:34 AM
Doc Holliday died on November 8, 1887 at the age of 36, in a sanitarium in Glenwood Springs, Colorado of consumption (tuberculosis) ...some reports say alcoholism as well.
His lady friend was Mary Katherine Horony, aka Kate Elder or "Big Nose Kate." :)

Big Nose Kate

GaryB
10-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Yeah, she's not the looker as any of the movies made her out to be, that Hungarian Devil.

old judge
10-29-2006, 11:21 AM
Now this question. Does the Movie, "Sons of Katie Elder", truly depect Kate's family, perhaps by someone other than the good doctor, or is it just made up?? OJ

LauraA
10-29-2006, 11:34 AM
OJ, This page says it better than I could. It pretty much tells the true story....I think....:confused:
It's also got a photo that I haven't seen before of Kate and her sister.

Katie Elder or Big Nose Kate: Her True Story. (http://www.texasescapes.com/MaggieVanOstrand/Katie-Elder-Her-True-Story.htm)

Johnnie
10-31-2006, 07:10 AM
Doc Holliday died on November 8, 1887 at the age of 36, in a sanitarium in Glenwood Springs, Colorado of consumption (tuberculosis) ...some reports say alcoholism as well.
His lady friend was Mary Katherine Horony, aka Kate Elder or "Big Nose Kate." :)

Big Nose Kate

Big Nose kate, lived up into the 19th century and we have some interesting little "Tid Bits" about Big Nose Kate, lost in the pages of history that we will post on ghosttowns bulletin board in the near future. And we sure hope our friend Carol, book on Kate, will be out soon on this very interesting character of the old west.

Another little "Tid Bit" lost in western history and is not to widely known about Doc Holliday, is that when Doc, died in Colorado, the fellows that where going to take Doc, to final resting place. got half way to the grave site and a treacherous down pour caught them off guard and they choose someone's back yard under a tree, as Doc's real grave site.

Your Fellow Ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila

Johnnie
10-31-2006, 07:26 AM
This whole week is coming alive in and around Tombstone, many famouse celebritys, will be in "Tombstone" for the 125th year Anniiversary of "The Gun Fight At The O K Corral."

Our good friends Lee, and Sue, Silva will be there for a their book signing along with many other actors, and historians. "Be There Or Be Square"

Your Fellow Ghosttowners, and Historians
Johnnie & Sheila

Just got off the land line with Lee Silva, and he was telling me that the Tombstone, Cellabration was a great success. And there was several T V stations on hand, including the film crew from the History Channel, if anyone caught any of film clips on T V and just happen to tape it, we sure would love a copy. and if anyone knows when the History Channel is going to air the Cellabration please let the rest of us know.

Your Fellow Ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila

LauraA
10-31-2006, 08:16 AM
This seems appropriate for today:)

Happy Halloween Everyone!

WesternOutlaw.com - Gravesites (http://www.westernoutlaw.com/gravesites/gunfighters.html)

GaryB
10-31-2006, 12:03 PM
OJ, This page says it better than I could. It pretty much tells the true story....I think....:confused:
It's also got a photo that I haven't seen before of Kate and her sister.

Katie Elder or Big Nose Kate: Her True Story. (http://www.texasescapes.com/MaggieVanOstrand/Katie-Elder-Her-True-Story.htm)

Good read.