PDA

View Full Version : My Recent Trip Photos

High Desert Drifter
10-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Got back from Nevada Desert Recently on a 120 mile quad trip. We explored the Excelsior Mountains and the Pilot Mountain Ranges. Teamed up with 8 other riders from intrepidexplorers.org.

Check out the photos here. http://highdesertdrifter.shutterfly.com

bad bob
10-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!
Waaaaaaaay to go Drifter.
Looks like ya got a lot of great shots, love the Benton pics.
Many thanks
bb.

GaryB
10-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Cool shots, gives me more ideas of places to go. I really like the headframe shots of Rhodes.

Mikejts
10-24-2006, 10:00 AM
Good stuff. I wish I was closer to some of the Nevada Ghost Towns. :(

The few times I have been there I have seen some really cool Ghost Towns.

LauraA
10-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Nice going Drifter! What a neat trip that must have been judging by your super pictures. Thank you!

How did you ever make it for that length of time without a single Slurpee machine in sight? :p

High Desert Drifter
10-24-2006, 09:30 PM
Nice going Drifter! What a neat trip that must have been judging by your super pictures. Thank you!

How did you ever make it for that length of time without a single Slurpee machine in sight? :p

It wasn't easy... its amazing what a little dieting and conditioning will do. I did hit every 7-11 on the 7hr drive home however!

GaryB
10-24-2006, 09:34 PM
Good stuff. I wish I was closer to some of the Nevada Ghost Towns. :(

The few times I have been there I have seen some really cool Ghost Towns.

That's funny, because looking at some of your GT pics, I wish I was closer to Coloradao sometimes ;)

speedy
10-25-2006, 05:47 AM
I envy you folks that live out west. I would love to live out there. I have to drive over 300 miles to get to a decent ghost town. but I really enjoy it when I get there......Speedy

Mikejts
10-25-2006, 06:21 PM
That's funny, because looking at some of your GT pics, I wish I was closer to Coloradao sometimes ;)

From what I have seen it appears to me that Nevada is more into preservation of sites than Colorado. Developers and landowners are always burning buildings, clearing the land etc. Too much growth.

Berlin Nevada is one of those GREAT Nevada Ghost towns. Good example of what can be done. I took over 300 photos at that site. http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/berlin_nevada_ghost_town.htm

Mikejts
10-25-2006, 06:25 PM
I envy you folks that live out west. I would love to live out there. I have to drive over 300 miles to get to a decent ghost town. but I really enjoy it when I get there......Speedy

Speedy, not unusual for me to put 500+ miles in a single day looking at Ghost towns. Day trips. For me to get to the southwest part of the State is over 400 miles one way.

GaryB
10-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Our conservation is only due to the fact they are so **** far away from everything. Everything around Vegas has been stolen, destroyed, or defaced in every way imaginable. I just spent the day pre-running a trail around Searchlight. Seems some ******* from Anchorage had to let us all know where he had been and where he was from.

High Desert Drifter
10-25-2006, 08:48 PM
In my opinion Nevada will be the last surviving place where we will all be able to enjoy whats left of these historic ghost towns and mines, with Arizona in close second only because all the politicians are trying to gain public brownie points by limiting access.

Same problem in California, along with urban sprawl.

Mikejts
10-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Yep - the elements (read Weather) will get the remaining ones here in Colorado. This week above 8,000 feet they got over 2 foot of wet heavy snow. I am sure next spring some of my favorites will have caved in under the weight. I was at 12,000 ft filming the Santiago Mine last weekend. I would never get there this weekend.

High Desert Drifter
10-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Yep - the elements (read Weather) will get the remaining ones here in Colorado. This week above 8,000 feet they got over 2 foot of wet heavy snow. I am sure next spring some of my favorites will have caved in under the weight. I was at 12,000 ft filming the Santiago Mine last weekend. I would never get there this weekend.

I checked out the link to your web site. Nice Site!

Mikejts
10-30-2006, 06:34 PM
I checked out the link to your web site. Nice Site!

I did likewise with your site. I would like to add a link to your site. Do I have your permission?

bcrofford60
11-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Nice photos High Desert Drifter.We are planning a trp this weekend to Searchlight to do some exploring and riding our new quads. Can you give me any info on the best place to camp , the mines and where to try out the quads ?

High Desert Drifter
11-10-2006, 10:00 PM
I did likewise with your site. I would like to add a link to your site. Do I have your permission?

Sorry, I missed your response. Definately! feel free to add my link. I will do the same with yours.

High Desert Drifter
11-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Nice photos High Desert Drifter.We are planning a trp this weekend to Searchlight to do some exploring and riding our new quads. Can you give me any info on the best place to camp , the mines and where to try out the quads ?

I'm not as familiar with the area as Bad Bob and Gary B. You might check with one of them. I do know however, that there is an organization that rents quads and supplies guides somewhere down in that area. I bet if you contact them they can supply you with a list of all the good areas.

bad bob
11-10-2006, 10:14 PM
[quote=High Desert Drifter;23532]I'm not as familiar with the area as Bad Bob and Gary B.

Drifter wrong Bob.....
it's Yet Another Bob that has all the info on Searchlight, etc.

High Desert Drifter
11-11-2006, 01:36 PM
[quote=High Desert Drifter;23532]I'm not as familiar with the area as Bad Bob and Gary B.

Drifter wrong Bob.....
it's Yet Another Bob that has all the info on Searchlight, etc.

My mistake, sorry about that.

Gravelrash
11-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Got back from Nevada Desert Recently on a 120 mile quad trip. We explored the Excelsior Mountains and the Pilot Mountain Ranges. Teamed up with 8 other riders from intrepidexplorers.org.

Check out the photos here. http://highdesertdrifter.shutterfly.com

Just browsing throught the backlogs, Drifter and all I can say is,
Wow - what a great trip! Jealousy is a curse, but .... it's all I got!
Sodaville and Benton really look dramatic and so does the Gunmetal mine. Heck, it all looks great. I really like your skill behind a camera.

High Desert Drifter
11-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Just browsing throught the backlogs, Drifter and all I can say is,
Wow - what a great trip! Jealousy is a curse, but .... it's all I got!
Sodaville and Benton really look dramatic and so does the Gunmetal mine. Heck, it all looks great. I really like your skill behind a camera.

Well thank you, I'm trying to settle down a bit and take my time when I choose my shots. used to be in a rush to explore and sometimes I would forget to take the picture all together!

mainmanwalkin
11-15-2007, 07:13 AM

Speedy, where do you live that it takes so long to find ghost towns?

GaryB
11-15-2007, 09:21 AM
used to be in a rush to explore and sometimes I would forget to take the picture all together!

I'm guilty of that too. Then once I got a digital camera, it was cheap and the pics sucked. Now I have a good camera, with a big card so I can take 1000+ pics :D

That's one thing about pre-running a trail for my club, I can take my time and explore and take all the pics I want. It's not as easy once you have 20+ vehicles trying to get them through in a decent time.

High Desert Drifter
11-15-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm guilty of that too. Then once I got a digital camera, it was cheap and the pics sucked. Now I have a good camera, with a big card so I can take 1000+ pics :D

That's one thing about pre-running a trail for my club, I can take my time and explore and take all the pics I want. It's not as easy once you have 20+ vehicles trying to get them through in a decent time.

Yes, I forgot to mention the convenience of a large card! Now I can take 20 pic's of the same object and delete all those that look like crap:)

speedy
11-17-2007, 07:10 AM
MMW I live in the East Texas piney woods.....Speedy

Gravelrash
11-17-2007, 01:08 PM
MMW I live in the East Texas piney woods.....Speedy

Speedy - dumb question time. I've heard of "the Piney Woods" but could you give me a rough idea of how far the area extends, what counties, towns, etc are in "the Piney Woods"? Cheers.

speedy
11-18-2007, 07:39 AM
Rash, the piney woods extend from about Texarkana to Beaumont North and South, and from the Sabine River on the East to Huntsville on the West. Probably 40 or 50 counties. Of course there is a lot of piney woods in Louisana also......Speedy

Gravelrash
11-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks for that Speedy.
A dumb question, if you don't mind?

Pines are not native to Australia. These days we have huge pine plantations everywhere, but they are all "foreign" - usually Radiata pine or some other fast growing European variety, to feed the pulp mills and house framing industries.
Personally, I think they are the ugliest trees I've ever seen but that's probably because, to me, they are so incongruous in our bushland. They also destroy the habitat for local species, which are far slower growing than the imports and the pine "leaves" smother the forest floor so nothing else gets a chance.

I'm assuming what I have in mind as "Texas pines" is not that sort?
Are "your" pines Pinons and similar?

speedy
11-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Our pines are huge and drop tons of pine needles that cover everything. I had a pine in my back yard that fell and was 46" in diameter. Right now I am hauling off truck loads of pine needles from my yard. I'm thinking of moving to West Texas....Speedy

Gravelrash
11-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks Speedy.
Good luck with any move to West Texas. Sounds like they need "a few good men" down around the Alamo again!

LauraA
11-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Our pines are huge and drop tons of pine needles that cover everything. I had a pine in my back yard that fell and was 46" in diameter. Right now I am hauling off truck loads of pine needles from my yard. I'm thinking of moving to West Texas....Speedy

Ahhhh nothin' like the smell of a pine forest on a crisp Autumn morning. They're some of my favorite evergreens. (as long as they're not in MY yard) ;)