PDA

View Full Version : can someone help me find a particular ghost town

valerie
10-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Can someone help me find a ghost town. While researching another ghost town I ran across a story abouut a miner who left the wagon train he was traveling on because it was to crowded and he had disagreements with other travelers on the train. He found what he thought would be a good spot so he built a light that he would shine so other pioneers would know where his new town was. I can't remember what state it was in but it was a western state:confused:

Pnx Jay
10-24-2006, 11:55 AM
Cullen's Well in Maricopa County, Arizona has a story that goes something like that. Its on this site. I seem to remember another one somewhere else that may be closer to what you are speaking of.

Jay

valerie
10-24-2006, 12:22 PM
Thankyou Jay, but thats not the one I'm looking for. Let me know if you remember any others. I was so glad to get such a fast reply.
Valerie

LauraA
10-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Valerie, I've searched using all the keywords I could think of with no success. If you could remember a clue as to who, what, when, or where, it might help? Sounds like an interesting story if we can find it. :)

old judge
10-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Sounds like it oughta be Searchlight. While I'm relatively sure it's not, I've not yet seen a definitive reason for the name. OJ

GaryB
10-24-2006, 09:07 PM
Bob would know for sure, but Searchlight, NV has a few different stories behind the name. One being the Searchlight brand matches. Another being something about being in the middle of no where and folks seeing the lights on from afar. Not the best story tellin' there :o

But I've never heard of it being named by folks from a wagon train myself.

High Desert Drifter
10-24-2006, 09:22 PM
Can someone help me find a ghost town. While researching another ghost town I ran across a story abouut a miner who left the wagon train he was traveling on because it was to crowded and he had disagreements with other travelers on the train. He found what he thought would be a good spot so he built a light that he would shine so other pioneers would know where his new town was. I can't remember what state it was in but it was a western state:confused:

Valerie,

What was the original ghost town that you were researching? and where did you hear of this wagon train story? maybe there is a clue there that will lead us in to helping you.

valerie
10-25-2006, 05:01 AM
This town didn't last very long and the only thing left is part of the light he built.

old judge
10-25-2006, 06:34 AM
Read Drifter's post and try again....OJ

valerie
10-25-2006, 07:11 AM
I don't remember which ghost town I was checking on at that time. I found this story on the internet about 2 or 3 months ago. The man who founded this ghost town was not well liked or he didn't get along with others in the group. they might have already gotten to their destination or were trying to decide where to stop or were going to slow. So he left with some of the members and put up a light so others who came after could find his site.

LauraA
10-25-2006, 07:27 AM
Valerie, you've sure got my curiousity up.
As Jay said, it sounds like Cullen's Well Cullen's Well- Arizona Ghost Town (http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/az/cullingswell.html) but you're saying nope...hmmm more searching is required. ;)