PDA

View Full Version : Remember The Movie Red River

Johnnie
10-26-2006, 07:06 AM
Remember that great old classic Western, Red River, staring John Wayne, Sheila and I had to watch this great old western on the History Channel, this last weekend again. And remember Tom Dunson, saying "Just Getting There" is the most important thing I wan't out of you Gent's.

Laura, or Flatiron, or any other Arizonaian, heard of this ride in your great state of Arizona.

Would any fellow ghosttowners like to go on a real cattle drive, Well the wife and I sure would. Well the K5 Ranch in Springville Arizona
that can make this dream come true.

People actually pay to do this On VACATION? Wow! this sounds fun, even for us old-timers.

The K5 Ranch, is a working outfit---accentuate the "working"---that trails Herefords and few longhorns from the winter to the summer pastures and vice versa over five or six days Two times a year.

If that doesn't stike your fancy, the K5 aldo offers branding, and other ranch duties. Nothings stages, except maybe a few cowboy jokes.

The drive starts on the little Colorado River Platau, at Slade Gap on the K5 homestead. You cross a volcanic mesa to Bigelow crossing, then head up the Grapevine Trail,which has been used since Arizona's open range days.

And then even crosses the 26 Bar Ranch, once owned by an Iowa-born cowboy better known as John Wayne, and then push the herd down a steep trail to Deadman Crossing and along the West Fork of the Black River, finally ending at the verdant White Mountains pasture that these little dogies will call home until the fall drive.

The Knights---Roxanne and husband Galyn and sons Daric, Lance, and Traegen, are seventh-generation ranching family and know the cattle and horses,

Roxanne, former actress, tossed Steve McQueen, a beer in the opening of the movie Junior Bonner. Well what do you think? sound fun!:)

for more information visit
w.w.w. k5reeds.com

Your Fellow Dreamers,& City Slickers
Johnnie & Sheila

old judge
10-26-2006, 07:47 AM
Johnnie and Sheila...One of my all time favorite movies is "The Last Picture Show', which, as I recall, was "Red River"....YEEHAW....OJ

Johnnie
10-26-2006, 08:28 AM
Johnnie and Sheila...One of my all time favorite movies is "The Last Picture Show', which, as I recall, was "Red River"....YEEHAW....OJ

O J Do you think "we" are up too the spring drive? Could we covince you to hang up that "gavel" for awhile. and try about six days and nights, and you and I riding the range in the Arizona. Sheila, says she not up to sleeping out in the open. for me i can only dream.:cool:

Your Fellow Dreamer, and City Slicker.
Johnnie

old judge
10-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Johnnie and Sheila.....Is that a challenge? Sounds like Sheila and the Bride have something in common..Like the idea of campin' out is Holiday Inn with a window open...I'll do it, if I can ride with you on the Chuckwagon and do the cookin'..As for a day on a Horse, done that, several times...Always said "Never again", and now I really mean it. OJ

LauraA
10-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Here ya go Johnnie & Sheila, Great Movie! ;)

But as for the branding YUCK..that's not my idea of a vacation. Our backyard backs up to a ranch and shortly after we moved in here, they were branding calves in the corral about 150 feet behind our place .... DOWNWIND. Now, I like a good charcoal grilled steak as well as the next person, but I don't want it with the hide and hair left on it. The smell was atrocious! The next time they do it, we'll make sure we're gone for the day.

Flatiron
10-27-2006, 03:34 AM
Johnnie .......................Yes, Ive heard about the cattle drive out of Springerville, but I'm not sure I want to PAY to help some ranchers move their herd to summer/winter pasture, though. The wife and I were in my old home state of Montana a few weeks ago, and got involved in our own cattle drive near Twin Bridges, Montana. It wasn't too bad as we weren't ridin' some old swaybelly, but sittin' in the nice comfy cab of my Silverado pick-up. I've spent more than a night or two camped in the boonies after ridin' a hayburner for 10 hours, and have fond memories of those trips, but don't care to do a long trail ride nowadays. Although, if OJ is cookin' and Johnnie's making cowboy coffee, I just may give it a whirl. Yeah, when do we mount up?...............;) :p

Flatiron
10-27-2006, 03:54 AM
Johnnie......."Red River" was a true classic western, and one of my all time favorites. It's great to watch John Wayne, Walter Brennan as "Groot", Montgomery Clift, Harry Carey (Sr. & JR) Noah Beery, and a few other great western actors in one movie. ........I can tell Laura is from New York, if she can't stand the smell of burning hair and cowhide. Laura, have you ever pee'd on a campfire? Probably not. Now that stinks!....:eek:

LauraA
10-27-2006, 05:14 AM
Johnnie......."Red River" was a true classic western, and one of my all time favorites. It's great to watch John Wayne, Walter Brennan as "Groot", Montgomery Clift, Harry Carey (Sr. & JR) Noah Beery, and a few other great western actors in one movie. ........I can tell Laura is from New York, if she can't stand the smell of burning hair and cowhide. Laura, have you ever pee'd on a campfire? Probably not. Now that stinks!....:eek:

HA! Think about it, it's a matter of differences in plumbing...it just wouldn't work...even a Nu Yawker knows THAT :D

You're right about the movie, it's a great one. Walter Brennan was one of my favorites.

speedy
10-27-2006, 05:23 AM
Johnnie & Shelia thanks for the invitation. Maybe an eon or two ago when I was 14 or 15 I rode out where the deer and antelope play and rounded up little dogies all day. There is no place colder in winter than a horse's back, no place hotter in the summer than a horse's back, and no place wetter in a thunderstorm than a horse's back. Laura is right, you can smell branding from a mile away or farther if you are downwind. Cowboy coffee is crunchy and the biscuits are like white hocky pucks. But they do have a lot of protien....weevils. I think I will pass.....been there-done that....Speedy

Johnnie
10-27-2006, 05:53 AM
Johnnie .......................Yes, Ive heard about the cattle drive out of Springerville, but I'm not sure I want to PAY to help some ranchers move their herd to summer/winter pasture, though. The wife and I were in my old home state of Montana a few weeks ago, and got involved in our own cattle drive near Twin Bridges, Montana. It wasn't too bad as we weren't ridin' some old swaybelly, but sittin' in the nice comfy cab of my Silverado pick-up. I've spent more than a night or two camped in the boonies after ridin' a hayburner for 10 hours, and have fond memories of those trips, but don't care to do a long trail ride nowadays. Although, if OJ is cookin' and Johnnie's making cowboy coffee, I just may give it a whirl. Yeah, when do we mount up?...............;) :p

Well! Pilgrims, If it was possible i being putting on my shaps and and straping "jingel bobs" and mounting up right now with everything i need stuff in my saddle bags, but right now it is just a dream,

We have to agree with you flatiron and O J and Laura, Red River, is one of our favorites also.:rolleyes:

Happy Trails
Johnnie & Sheila

Johnnie
10-27-2006, 06:22 AM
Here ya go Johnnie & Sheila, Great Movie! ;)

But as for the branding YUCK..that's not my idea of a vacation. Our backyard backs up to a ranch and shortly after we moved in here, they were branding calves in the corral about 150 feet behind our place .... DOWNWIND. Now, I like a good charcoal grilled steak as well as the next person, but I don't want it with the hide and hair left on it. The smell was atrocious! The next time they do it, we'll make sure we're gone for the day.

Laura, You never cease to amaze us. You are so creative, and you have to admit it does sound fun.

Just think of all of us regulars on thr Bulletin Board sitting around camp fire telling jokes, and you resiting some of your poems, Wow! what fun that would be.

I know we are just daydreaming.
but at our age, what else is there to do but get on Ghosttowns Bulletin Board and share some dayreaming with friends.:) ;)

Happy Trails
Johnnie Sheila

Johnnie
10-27-2006, 06:45 AM
Johnnie & Shelia thanks for the invitation. Maybe an eon or two ago when I was 14 or 15 I rode out where the deer and antelope play and rounded up little dogies all day. There is no place colder in winter than a horse's back, no place hotter in the summer than a horse's back, and no place wetter in a thunderstorm than a horse's back. Laura is right, you can smell branding from a mile away or farther if you are downwind. Cowboy coffee is crunchy and the biscuits are like white hocky pucks. But they do have a lot of protien....weevils. I think I will pass.....been there-done that....Speedy

Thanks for sharing, we know we would be at the corral at daybreak ready to all mount up and head out down the trail 25 years ago.

But now we just have to do some old time daydreaming.
But 25 years ago, instead daydreaming, we would be Reminisceing:)

Happy Trails
Johnnie Sheila

Johnnie
10-27-2006, 07:29 AM
Johnnie and Sheila.....Is that a challenge? Sounds like Sheila and the Bride have something in common..Like the idea of campin' out is Holiday Inn with a window open...I'll do it, if I can ride with you on the Chuckwagon and do the cookin'..As for a day on a Horse, done that, several times...Always said "Never again", and now I really mean it. OJ

My Grand Parents owned a cattlel ranch in Montana, in the early 1880s and thats what i grew up hearing about as a kid how ranch life in Montana and then my Grandfather moved the family to Idaho for big Gold Rush,to Coeur d'Alenes Boy! did i do some daydreaming when i was a kid.

That was all i wanted to do from then on, is be a cowboy.

But did learn to ride a horse at a young age of 8 years old, and went horseback rideing every chance i got,

Even though we live in the city I took up rideing clear up to a few years ago. but now is just one of those dreams. Wow! just to climb back in the saddle again. memories.:rolleyes:

Happy Trails
Johnnie & Sheila

LauraA
10-27-2006, 07:32 AM
Laura, You never cease to amaze us. You are so creative, and you have to admit it does sound fun.

Just think of all of us regulars on thr Bulletin Board sitting around camp fire telling jokes, and you resiting some of your poems, Wow! what fun that would be.

I know we are just daydreaming.
but at our age, what else is there to do but get on Ghosttowns Bulletin Board and share some dayreaming with friends.:) ;)

Happy Trails
Johnnie Sheila

When you put it that way, it does sound appealing and I suppose we could camp upwind of the cattle branding. Sharing daydreaming with friends, ahhh sounds nice. :) Let's ditch the poetry and tell ghost ... errr..ghost TOWN stories instead. :D We won't let Speedy make any of his hockey puck biscuits

Johnnie
10-27-2006, 07:50 AM
When you put it that way, it does sound appealing and I suppose we could camp upwind of the cattle branding. Sharing daydreaming with friends, ahhh sounds nice. :) Let's ditch the poetry and tell ghost ... errr..ghost TOWN stories instead. :D We won't let Speedy make any of his hockey puck biscuits

Ok! we will skip on that kind, That Speedy, spoke of.

How about sourdough biscuits, and gravy. and T-Bone steaks. Our mouths are watering right now.:p

Happy Trails
Johnnie & Sheila

High Desert Drifter
10-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Ok! we will skip on that kind, That Speedy, spoke of.

How about sourdough biscuits, and gravy. and T-Bone steaks. Our mouths are watering right now.:p

Happy Trails
Johnnie & Sheila

I'm thinkin more along the lines of Rib Eyes and Slurpees! By the way, I heard there is a wagon run from Benton Springs to Bodie once a year? or am I mistaken?...

Flatiron
10-29-2006, 04:21 AM
Drifter.............I'm not sure they're doing a yuppie drive from Benton Hot Springs to Bodie Hills anymore, as the wranglers were getting their boots "dirty' and a sweat stain on their Stetson's ...Johnnie, at least we all have some great old memories of day's gone by, and sitting around the campfire with all the folks here sounds pretty enticing. Ribeyes and gravy sounds REALLY good, but "speedy", let me make the biscuits in my old cast iron dutch oven. I guarantee they don't turn out like hockey pucks or clay pigeons In fact if anyone in my area is interested (Laura?) , there's a good old campout at Gila Box Riparian Reserve next weekend (11/4) that is doing a dinner and dessert with dutch ovens.Should be a lot of fun........:eek: :D

LauraA
10-29-2006, 08:03 AM
:o:( Flatiron, it sorta sounds interesting...or it would but right now it seems I've caught some kind of stomach virus or something (my own cooking?) and the mere thought of food is ............. oops .... gotta run ...........

Johnnie
10-30-2006, 05:56 AM
I'm thinkin more along the lines of Rib Eyes and Slurpees! By the way, I heard there is a wagon run from Benton Springs to Bodie once a year? or am I mistaken?...

High Desert Drifter, That wagon run you spoke of, we have not heard of before but sounds great too.

I wonder if Cecile has heard of that Bodie, run.

And the get together in Arizona, that Flatiron, speakes of also sounds great.

If we only could turn back the clock, just to 30 years ago. and not just lously "One" hour like we did yesterday.:mad:

Fellow Daydreamers of yesteryear
Johnnie & Sheila

old judge
10-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Be careful what you wish for Johnnie..Set that clock back too far and folks be expectin' something out of us. Sure could cut into my campin', fishin', GTin', drinkin', sleepin', eatin', smokin', TVin' and familyin' time....OJ

High Desert Drifter
10-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Well, we could make it easier for all, especially the old timers if we just made it for 3 days - 2 nights camping and trail running from the Elbow. Bring your own food, rigs and tents!

Masonic, Aurora, Lucky Boy, Pine Grove, Rockland and all of Flat Irons favorites among the Sweetwater Mountains.

For those with back problems, there are motels nearby in Bridgeport.