PDA

View Full Version : Sites by Searchlight , NV

GaryB
10-26-2006, 08:22 PM
http://thumb15.webshots.net/t/59/559/4/6/83/2653406830094197955ttHgrE_th.jpg (http://travel.webshots.com/album/555124959eLTdKp)

Did a pre-run for a future club run in an area south of Searchlight, NV known as Spirit Mountain. Stopped at the Juniper and Mammoth Mines and the old home stead of Rosie McDonald. She's been mentioned on here by Another Bob and is in Sen. Harry Reid's book about Searchlight, NV.

High Desert Drifter
10-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Sweet Pics. Nice truck too. is that an older Scout or Bronco. hard to tell from the pictures.

Bob
10-27-2006, 06:13 AM
Sweet Pics. Nice truck too. is that an older Scout or Bronco. hard to tell from the pictures.

A hint to your question, Gary signs on the "mostly Jeep" Nevada backroaders site with the line "All Jeep trails had to first be Scouted."

I was about 4 years old when Rosie was laid to rest. She used to have a really nice headstone. BTW: I think I was the only sober person at that funeral and good old Irish Wake. I was also the only person under about 40.

GaryB
10-27-2006, 11:20 AM
1978 Scout II to be exact. Wanted something old and tough that could get me where I wanted to go and I could fix if it broke down. I like the old Bronco's and everything like that, I just got the SII as the timing and price was right. It fits me in a way, as I drive mostly cars and trucks that are rare.

Bob- Yeah I spent the last November run looking all over for the graves listed on the USGS maps. They kept placing them in the wash. I came across the ring stones under the tree and after some investigation decided those had to be it from the remains. Looks to be 2 there, but of course some jerk(s) found it necessary to vandalize them. I figure the more prominent to be Rosie's maybe and the other likely the husband of the couple my Dad dealt with. Just guessing. I'd like to decorate them or tiddy them up some, but I'm fearful of other jerks coming along. No win situation.

Do you know the year she died? Because lots of the concrete laid in the newer house have dates ranging from '56 and up as you can see from the pics. Seems those folks moved right in after she passed.

Bob
10-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Sorry, I'm thinking I was 4 or , maybe 6 when she passed. That would make it about 1951 or 52. I kinda thought the other grave was her last Husband (who I thought passed during before her) My parents were very close friends and we looked after the place until after she passed. She had water piped down from up the canyon toward the comunication site (Not under pressure) and I'd walk the line with my dad almost every weekend looking for leaks. We rap the old rusted iron pipe with cut pieces of innertube, then using bailing wire, repair the leaks. Seems like there were always one or two and if you didn't tend to them, soon what little water wouldn't make it to her house. saw my first cougar walking up that canyon checking the pipes for leaks.

She had some diggings (mine) there but it had played out long before she passed.

I think it was a couple years after she passed as my parents tried to secure title but determined that they could patent the land. BTW: The insulation in the new house is asbestos so the new cement floored house is not a good place to stir up dust or spend the night. I could be off by a few years but I remember going there in the old Hudson Hornet and my folks bought a new Mercury wagon about 1954.

I guess I could spend some times reading the obits in for that era.

GaryB
10-28-2006, 06:08 PM
There's nothing really left of the newer house as far as insulation. Since it was burned out (when?) the only thing that stands are the stone and cinder walls.

You might be right about the graves. Seriously I have no clue as the only info I have to go by is what you and my Dad know/remember. Not sure if any of the second couple were buried there or some place else. My Dad only dealt with the second couple, and IIRC he was there before and after the husband died. They were also building (I guess continuously) the newer house.

When I go back there next month I'll see if I can find any of your old line repairs :D may be a long shot as it appears there have been a few massive floods through there. I figured water was a scarce commodity since I counted at least 5 water holding tanks.

Flatiron
10-29-2006, 04:23 AM
Just doing a little bumping...........:mad:

Johnnie
10-30-2006, 06:17 AM
Just doing a little bumping...........:mad:

Thanks Flairon, from all of us for getting out early and clearing the road to Searchlight,;)

Johnnie & Sheila