PDA

View Full Version : HO!! For Jarbidge (Nevada)

David A. Wright
10-31-2006, 08:16 PM
I've added a new 4x4 Trails page to my website. This page takes you to Jarbidge, Nevada; located in the isolated and rugged northern part of Elko County.

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/images/jarbidge_p3_12_thumb.jpg
http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/images/jarbidge_p5_06.jpg
http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/images/jarbidge_p6_13.jpg
http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/images/jarbidge_p7_06.jpg

This narration takes you from Elko to Jarbidge, then meanders through the vicinity of the remote village and even a bit north to set your tires inside Idaho.

Not a patch of pavement for miles around, Jarbidge is wonderful place to spend a week. High mountains covered with dense forests of tall conifers and aspens, deep and narrow chasms with rushing streams. Not stereotypical Nevada at all, but more akin to the Rocky Mountain states.

There's nearly 240 photos on this page, as well as details about places to camp, lodge and eat in Jarbidge; as well as a bit on Jarbidge history. As usual, suggestions to locate more information on the Net and in books.

The page is located HERE. (http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/jarbidge.html)

LauraA
11-01-2006, 12:57 PM
David, Fabulous post, pictures and web site, as usual.
It's quite easy to spend a lot of time totally immersed in your adventures and the descriptions.
Thanks so much for sharing it! :)

Gravelrash
09-15-2007, 11:43 PM
David, Fabulous post, pictures and web site, as usual.
It's quite easy to spend a lot of time totally immersed in your adventures and the descriptions.
Thanks so much for sharing it! :)
I couldn't agree more. This post raises the bar for travelogues by several notches.
I was googling around Nevada yesterday and stumbled on Jarbidge. I decided then and there it was a "must do" drive. Finding this post, with all the info on the town, accomodation, eats, gas etc, is a real bonus.Looks like my kinda town!
Much in your debt David.

GaryB
09-16-2007, 10:42 AM
I couldn't agree more. This post raises the bar for travelogues by several notches.
I was googling around Nevada yesterday and stumbled on Jarbidge. I decided then and there it was a "must do" drive. Finding this post, with all the info on the town, accomodation, eats, gas etc, is a real bonus.Looks like my kinda town!
Much in your debt David.

I think you'll find Northern to Central Nevada, especially from the middle to eastern side has numerous spots worth visiting. Many reason for their existence is their remote location, and the lack of over zealous riff raffers. The areas also tend to have been more recently inhabited for one or another reason, adding to their general up keep.

While IMO there are a few places that should be seen on the western side, they are few and far between. You could spend 2 weeks in Elko County, NV alone (Jarbidges location) and have to hustle your way through just to get a glimpse of the numerous sites.

Gravelrash
09-17-2007, 12:16 AM
GaryB - you've got me! I see you are from Vegas, so I guess you'd know Nevada better then most.
I was Googling around the Ruby Mountains, following GT links to old sites, before I "discovered" Jarbidge and I agree with you. It's a great looking area that I have to check out. You have to love towns named Deeth and Jiggs!
You mentioned a club, on the "GPS v maps" thread? Maybe we can hook up when I get to Nevada and you can show me some of your favorite sites?
We can drag Badbob, kicking and screaming, from the Bakersfield he loves so much, and force him to enjoy the great Nevada wilderness!!;)

GaryB
09-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Not many people from Vegas really know much about Nevada, since many are transplants. I'm just one of the few originals that hasn't escaped....yet.

Depending on when you were to be visiting, our club could be anywhere from Baker, CA to Ely, NV. But we are always going some where.

A tip in your planning though. The southern part of Nevada is pretty hot through the summer, and we have sudden thunderstorms that can get you in trouble. The north is pretty miserable in the winter, and can get heavy snow and very low temps. I'd plan on hitting the southern end during winter, as it's mild. Then head North late spring to late fall. At least that way, you'd have less troubles with the weather hampering your journeys.

Gravelrash
09-19-2007, 05:30 PM
GaryB - it sounds similar to the situation in Oz. The urban sprawl has delivered many people into "the sticks", who have NO IDEA of where they are and what surrounds them. I prefer it like that, as I like the isolation of the bush. Nothing worse than coming upon a bunch of townies having the "Sunday drive"! One of my life-long bug-bears is cleaning up camping sites after others have "enjoyed" the bush!

My trip is dependant on how soon my business sells - or if! - and that, of course, will affect the season when I arrive in the US. I'm planning accordingly, either starting from Seattle, or Phoenix. Since I've 'met' Badbob, and he introduced me to the wonders of Bakersfield, I am now considering starting in California too! (Actually, it was "discovering" Bodie!)

No point now, but as the time gets closer maybe we can exchange phone/email and I can hook up with you for one of the club trips?
There's a lot of places I want to "do" solo, as I like to meander and turn left where others are turning right, but it also makes sense to tap into the local knowledge you guys would have at your fingertips.

Heat doesn't really worry me, but the snow does. I have very little experience of the white stuff and I am more than a little concerned that my well laid plans could all come a cropper if there's a big dump!

ghost_town_huntress
09-19-2007, 11:48 PM
I'm just one of the few originals that hasn't escaped....yet.

Now why on earth would you want to escape? Nevada's one of the few states I'd actually like to live in, if I was ever forced to leave Utah, not that that's ever going to happen.

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

Not many people from Vegas really know much about Nevada, since many are transplants. I'm just one of the few originals that hasn't escaped....yet.

Depending on when you were to be visiting, our club could be anywhere from Baker, CA to Ely, NV. But we are always going some where.

A tip in your planning though. The southern part of Nevada is pretty hot through the summer, and we have sudden thunderstorms that can get you in trouble. The north is pretty miserable in the winter, and can get heavy snow and very low temps. I'd plan on hitting the southern end during winter, as it's mild. Then head North late spring to late fall. At least that way, you'd have less troubles with the weather hampering your journeys.

GaryB
09-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Not looking to leave Nevada, just Las Vegas. As far as I'm concerned, they can annex all of Clark County back to Arizona, or even give it to California if they want it. Then the rest of us can take out the highways going north out of there with graders so they can't come ruin the rest of the state.

GaryB
09-20-2007, 08:25 AM
GaryB - it sounds similar to the situation in Oz............

Likely, but you have IIRC 3 of the 5 most deadly snakes in the world in your back yard. So survival of the fittest gets a helping hand over there.

Over here, we just remove all the snakes, bugs, mine shafts, etc. so the natural selection process is handicapped.

Whenever you're ready to come over the pond, let me know. I'm either going there, been there, or can find out about there so I can lead you to some worth while spots nearby.

David A. Wright
09-20-2007, 02:49 PM
I've added a new Jarbidge page to my website. But this one focuses on the wildfires that visited the Eastern Sierra Nevada (and came very close to my home as well), Winnemucca and the big fire that nearly wiped out Jarbidge. This fire - the massive Murphy Complex Fire - chased myself, my wife and parents out of Jarbidge in the middle of the night.

My new page is at:

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/trips/fires07.html

It was one "****" of a trip! As usual, plenty of photos.

Gravelrash
10-02-2007, 04:44 PM
...and as usual David, very enticing photos. I could spend a day sitting on a few Jarbidge porches myself and not feel an ounce of guilt!
(Psssst - let's keep Jarbidge a secret, at least until I get to see it!)
I "travel" up from Deeth often, courtesy of GoogleEarth, and it looks like my ideal sort of road trip. Not a soul in sight - just how it should be.
I'm REALLY pleased the store owners have their priorities right. Half melted ice-creams but COLD beer! You have to admire that sense of proportion.

David A. Wright
10-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Looks like my kinda town!
Much in your debt David.
You're welcome! And keep an eye out, I'm heavily revamping the original Jarbidge page and adding many new photos. Should be online within the month.