PDA

View Full Version : Unionville, NV

teds280z
11-06-2006, 06:11 PM
This last weekend I checked out this town and was very disappointed.I guess because I was not staying at their B&B I wasn't welcomed very well. Also the town is all private property bought up by different homeowners. About the only building you can look through the windous is Mark Twains cabin because it sits on a park. To me it wasn't worth the trip:(

David A. Wright
11-10-2006, 03:54 PM
This last weekend I checked out this town and was very disappointed. ... To me it wasn't worth the trip:(
I visited the town in May of 2001 and felt like I was being watched as my friend and I drove our respective 4WD trucks slowly up and down the main street. A woman came out and flagged us down and wanted to know what we were doing in town.

I had a hunch that she knew Alan Patera, who spent quite a bit of time the previous summer photographing, interviewing and researching for his book WESTERN PLACES - UNIONVILLE, NEVADA; so asked if she remembered him, and that I was on my way to Midas, Nevada to meet him for a two week trip.

She did remember Alan well because Alan and his wife stayed with her, and thus she gave us her blessings to spend some time in "her" town.

Though historical in nature, Unionville is still a inhabited town, and its residents have horror stories of encounters with tourists who did not have the best intentions as to leaving footprints and taking photos.

But, such suspicious behavior to all passersby can ruin the ambience and flavor of this photogenic town.

Mojave Rose
07-19-2010, 10:14 AM
I'd have to disagree with the previous post - we just visited Unionville a week ago and really enjoyed it. After reading several posts about "unfriendly natives" we were particularly careful to drive slowly (living on a dirt road has it's drawbacks) and wave at everyone we saw driving by. I've lived in a ghost town, so I know how rightfully suspicious residents can be, and protective of "their town". We drove slowly through town, snapping photos, and pulled in to the little park at the upper end where we stopped for lunch. Then we hiked up to the creek. No one hassled us in any way, and we didn't feel we were "being watched" any more than you would be in any small town. Between the information posted on signs in the town, and the rest of the drive we took on down Lovelocik-Unionville Rd. we definitely felt the day worthwhile!

lassen Tr. resrchr 1973
07-26-2010, 02:37 PM
I think Star City(as I recall) is nearby. I stayed there in the early 70's camping. No buildings,but only cellars/basement areas. Wild horses etc. Nice and quiet.
The northern deseret is sure more mild than down south,but Im here now,so Ill have to live with it.